• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Republican takes hostages

God bless Abbott.

Liberals could give a rats ass about the billions that is costs Texas.

Liberals can go **** themselves.
This post makes no sense.

It's a trucker protest. Arrest them and confiscate their property and bank accounts.
Wait, last month you supported trucker protests......

LOL Irrelevant?
How the hell is it not irrelevant?
Because it is mere grandstanding. The trucks had already been inspected as I understand it. Abbott wants to be president, no diff than the Florida gov making his border pilgrimage to show he too can be an ignorant of the law hard ass like Trump.
Of course it is entirely relevant, in fact, so relevant that you'd rather dismiss it.

Asylum seekers do not come from Mexico.
They can. Someone from any country can apply for asylum if they meet the standard of proof.
Economic hardship does not qualify you for asylum
You got one thing right.
and anyone traveling THROUGH Mexico is supposed to STAY in Mexico.
Not true. Asylum can be withheld if someone was “firmly resettled” in a pass-through country. If in danger they can’t be returned home, but used to be granted temporary “withholding of deportation” which could be rescinded. I worked on hundreds of cases of people who passed through several countries. Happens in many places in the world.

Because it is mere grandstanding. The trucks had already been inspected as I understand it. Abbott wants to be president, no diff than the Florida gov making his border pilgrimage to show he too can be an ignorant of the law hard ass like Trump.
Grandstanding? As in making a point that the federal government is derelict in their duties protecting the border. If that is grandstanding, ok. Is it working?
They can. Someone from any country can apply for asylum if they meet the standard of proof.
And no one from Mexico would meet that standard.
You got one thing right.

Not true. Asylum can be withheld if someone was “firmly resettled” in a pass-through country. If in danger they can’t be returned home, but used to be granted temporary “withholding of deportation” which could be rescinded. I worked on hundreds of cases of people who passed through several countries. Happens in many places in the world.
They are obligated to stop at the FIRST peaceful country they come to. Mexico is not a war torn, persecuting nation.

The bottom line here of course is that President Biden unilaterally dismantled "stay in Mexico" policy to take it upon the backs of Americans to deal with the influx of immigrants and asylum seekers. It is HIS and his administration's dealio.

Nope. Not a lie. (Unless you think the Mainstream Media is lying to you.)

Of course, the Mainstream Media is spinning this to make it Abbott's fault, but the fact is, it's the MEXICAN truckers blocking the border crossings.
that says no southbound movement...meaning into Mexico. There is no need for Abbott to spend a shitload of money on inspections the feds already did on people legally able to be in the US.

that says no southbound movement...meaning into Mexico. There is no need for Abbott to spend a shitload of money on inspections the feds already did on people legally able to be in the US.
Abbott didn't block the southbound movement. That was the MEXICAN truckers.

Jesus...read the article.

Abbott didn't block the southbound movement. That was the MEXICAN truckers.

Jesus...read the article.
we aren't all talking about movement into Mexico.....we are talking about movement into the US FROM Mexico....AFTER they have had a federal inspection.

I don't know. I asked first.
:)

Given the amount of drugs that are flowing into and through his state, he's got a decent argument in defense if they do try something.

:)

Given the amount of drugs that are flowing into and through his state, he's got a decent argument in defense if they do try something.
He isn't stopping them by inspecting already inspected trucks. He and you need to figure out how those drugs make it in....and most of it isn't on semis.

Grandstanding? As in making a point that the federal government is derelict in their duties protecting the border. If that is grandstanding, ok. Is it working?
Biden is doing what law and treaty require, allowing people to apply for asylum. And the trucks had already been screened for people and goods. So unless I misunderstand what was going on. What is gained by Abbott doing it again?
And no one from Mexico would meet that standard.
Not true. I spent ten days in El Paso volunteering with an organization that dealt with migrants who were screened in by immigration after being examined on the border, and establishing a credible claim for asylum. Many were from Mexico and were fleeing drug gangs in Michoacán and elsewhere in the country. This was while Trump was prez.
They are obligated to stop at the FIRST peaceful country they come to. Mexico is not a war torn, persecuting nation.
No they are not. People have been passing through “third” countries to seek asylum elsewhere for decades. I worked on hundreds of cases of Guatemalans and Salvadorans who came thru Mexico in the 80s-90s.
The bottom line here of course is that President Biden unilaterally dismantled "stay in Mexico" policy to take it upon the backs of Americans to deal with the influx of immigrants and asylum seekers. It is HIS and his administration's dealio.
“Stay in Mexico” was temporary because of COVID. The pandemic eased and there was no justification for continuing it. It was politically unwise for Noden to do it, but legally correct. My idea would be in cases of large scale migration for the US to set up and staff a camp on or near the border, allowing access by attorneys and advocates, even have an immigration court there to process cases more quickly lol there, which might deter frivolous claims, but that is not In the cards.

Again, if you don’t like Biden abiding by the law and treaties, you are free to lobby to end the law an US commitment to the treaties.

Yes there is. Abbott may be running for President. And making useless, symbolic gestures concerning complex topics is good politics. Think of the useless, symbolic wall.

Yes there is. Abbott may be running for President. And making useless, symbolic gestures concerning complex topics is good politics. Think of the useless, symbolic wall.
at the expense of taxpayers in Texas....and his ignorant followers.

He isn't stopping them by inspecting already inspected trucks. He and you need to figure out how those drugs make it in....and most of it isn't on semis.

And you know this how?

Biden is doing what law and treaty require, allowing people to apply for asylum. And the trucks had already been screened for people and goods. So unless I misunderstand what was going on. What is gained by Abbott doing it again?
Are you not listening? I dislike repeating myself. This has been answered here, just a few posts up.
Not true. I spent ten days in El Paso volunteering with an organization that dealt with migrants who were screened in by immigration after being examined on the border, and establishing a credible claim for asylum. Many were from Mexico and were fleeing drug gangs in Michoacán and elsewhere in the country. This was while Trump was prez.

No they are not. People have been passing through “third” countries to seek asylum elsewhere for decades. I worked on hundreds of cases of Guatemalans and Salvadorans who came thru Mexico in the 80s-90s.

“Stay in Mexico” was temporary because of COVID. The pandemic eased and there was no justification for continuing it. It was politically unwise for Noden to do it, but legally correct. My idea would be in cases of large scale migration for the US to set up and staff a camp on or near the border, allowing access by attorneys and advocates, even have an immigration court there to process cases more quickly lol there, which might deter frivolous claims, but that is not In the cards.
Stay in Mexico worked, and simply because it was a Trump era policy, it got reversed. I'd say Biden needs to go back to using it (even if it means eating some crow to do so)
Again, if you don’t like Biden abiding by the law and treaties, you are free to lobby to end the law an US commitment to the treaties.
And again, if you don't like the mess that has been created by this administration, you can obsfuscate, distract, or hold them accountable. I see which one you've gone with so far, hopefully that changes. But make no mistake, the current border mess is all laid at the feet of the current administration. And now people are crying because the federal government refuses to do their job, so a Texan Governor had to.

Are you not listening? I dislike repeating myself. This has been answered here, just a few posts up.
Stay in Mexico worked, and simply because it was a Trump era policy, it got reversed. I'd say Biden needs to go back to using it (even if it means eating some crow to do so)
And again, if you don't like the mess that has been created by this administration, you can obsfuscate, distract, or hold them accountable. I see which one you've gone with so far, hopefully that changes. But make no mistake, the current border mess is all laid at the feet of the current administration. And now people are crying because the federal government refuses to do their job, so a Texan Governor had to.

Which ever candidate promises to deport every single illegal allowed into this country by the Biden administration will get my vote.

we aren't all talking about movement into Mexico.....we are talking about movement into the US FROM Mexico....AFTER they have had a federal inspection.
The MEXICAN truckers block the road in both directions.

The MEXICAN truckers block the road in both directions.
before they get to the federal inspection authorities...there is no reason to hold up needed items from getting into the country. Republicans need to stop grandstanding.

before they get to the federal inspection authorities...there is no reason to hold up needed items from getting into the country. Republicans need to stop grandstanding.
Tell that to the MEXICAN truckers. Or, better yet, tell that to the Governors of the three Mexican states that border Texas that haven't signed agreements with Abbott.

Tell that to the MEXICAN truckers. Or, better yet, tell that to the Governors of the three Mexican states that border Texas that haven't signed agreements with Abbott.
They are blocking 4 bridges....all of them heading into Texas, in protest of Abbott's nonsense. They point out quite frankly that they make the same amount of money if it takes them 17 hours or 3 hours to cross. They are taking up to 17 hours to get across the bridge when it prior took 3 hours. There is no reason to delay a trucker that is bringing much-needed items into the US. They have a federal inspection and Texas doesn't really have the authority to regulate interstate commerce either. Its a dog and pony show to try to make brown people look like the enemy.

Which ever candidate promises to deport every single illegal allowed into this country by the Biden administration will get my vote.
none of them are going to promise you that....they might lie to you that they are going to do something, but in reality none of them will. Did Trump? No.

They are blocking 4 bridges....all of them heading into Texas, in protest of Abbott's nonsense. They point out quite frankly that they make the same amount of money if it takes them 17 hours or 3 hours to cross. They are taking up to 17 hours to get across the bridge when it prior took 3 hours. There is no reason to delay a trucker that is bringing much-needed items into the US. They have a federal inspection and Texas doesn't really have the authority to regulate interstate commerce either. Its a dog and pony show to try to make brown people look like the enemy.

Well, you certainly have your opinion and you don't mind placing all the blame on Abbott.

Me? I look at all sides and place the blame for what is happening where it belongs.

So it goes...

Back
Top Bottom