• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Another judge finds law against gay marriage unconstitutional

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is fantastic news! It is a violation of equal protection under the laws. I am sure that the state will appeal. Erlich has said that he believes marriage should be between one man and one woman. Yeah, whatever.

We shall see what happens as this case goes through the appellate process.

Maryland ban on gay marriage is struck down
Judge finds 33-year-old state law to be unconstitutional

BALTIMORE - A judge on Friday struck down a 33-year-old Maryland law against same-sex marriage, agreeing with 19 gay men and women that it violates the state constitution’s guarantee of equal rights.

The ruling by Judge M. Brooke Murdock rejected a state argument that the government had a legitimate interest in protecting the traditional family unit of heterosexual parents.

“Although tradition and societal values are important, they cannot be given so much weight that they alone will justify a discriminatory” law, she wrote.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10944712/

aps said:
This is fantastic news! It is a violation of equal protection under the laws. I am sure that the state will appeal. Erlich has said that he believes marriage should be between one man and one woman. Yeah, whatever.

We shall see what happens as this case goes through the appellate process.

Maryland ban on gay marriage is struck down
Judge finds 33-year-old state law to be unconstitutional

BALTIMORE - A judge on Friday struck down a 33-year-old Maryland law against same-sex marriage, agreeing with 19 gay men and women that it violates the state constitution’s guarantee of equal rights.

The ruling by Judge M. Brooke Murdock rejected a state argument that the government had a legitimate interest in protecting the traditional family unit of heterosexual parents.

“Although tradition and societal values are important, they cannot be given so much weight that they alone will justify a discriminatory” law, she wrote.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10944712/

There have been challenges like this in other states like Oregon, Nebraska and California they have been shot down by the higher courts aps........

Maryland does have a Defense of Marriage act (DOMA) defining marriage as between a man and a woman........I could not dind if they had and Amendment banning it though.....

http://www.outandequal.org/summit/2005/workshops/documents/StateofSameSexUnion.pdf

38 states have DOMAS and 19 have constitutional amendments banning gay marriage with many more on their ballots.........

http://www.nationalcoalition.org/legal/pp_ssmarriage.html

Its not something most Americans are in favor of my friend....

Woohoo. It looks like ignorance and bigotry took another blow today. Hoorah!

The Supreme Court will allow gay marriage. There is too much precedent that says they will. They will take into account interracial marriages, which they ruled in favor of, and apply that ruling to this issue. They will take into account The Full Faith and Credit Clause in our Constitution as well as the 14th Amendment. They will also take into account Lawrence vs. Texas, which made it unconstitutional to have laws against same-sex sex.

DOMAs and state amendments will be meaningless.

shuamort said:
Woohoo. It looks like ignorance and bigotry took another blow today. Hoorah!

I would not count your chickens before they hatch my friend.........

alex said:
The Supreme Court will allow gay marriage. There is too much precedent that says they will. They will take into account interracial marriages, which they ruled in favor of, and apply that ruling to this issue. They will take into account The Full Faith and Credit Clause in our Constitution as well as the 14th Amendment. They will also take into account Lawrence vs. Texas, which made it unconstitutional to have laws against same-sex sex.

DOMAs and state amendments will be meaningless.

Races are different then people who are defined by their sexual preference........The SCOTUS is made up differently now although I agreed with the ruling in Texas..........The stakes are much higher now with gay marriage.........I am glad you cited the 14th amendment, particulary the equal protection clause because it pertains to people who practice polygamy and people who want to marry inner family........You change the law to let gay marry then you have to do that with them too........They are finding that out right now in Canada which has just voted to allow same sex marriage...

Good luck, your going to need it especially when you lose the swing vote next week in the SCOTUS..........

Navy Pride said:
I would not count your chickens before they hatch my friend.........

Look, Navy Pride. Just admit it. Your boyfriend has been pressuring you to marry him, and you want to "play the field" so you like that there is a ban on gay marriage so you can say, "The law prevents us from getting married."

Come on now. I know you can do it. ;)

Navy Pride said:
Races are different then people who are defined by their sexual preference........The SCOTUS is made up differently now although I agreed with the ruling in Texas..........The stakes are much higher now with gay marriage.........I am glad you cited the 14th amendment, particulary the equal protection clause because it pertains to people who practice polygamy and people who want to marry inner family........You change the law to let gay marry then you have to do that with them too........They are finding that out right now in Canada which has just voted to allow same sex marriage...

Good luck, your going to need it especially when you lose the swing vote next week in the SCOTUS..........

So what is it that makes gay marriage so much different from interracial marriage? By your logic, polygamy and incestual relationships should have been allowed when that ruling passed, as well. Changing the law to allow gay marriage would not in and of itself have to allow for polygamy or incestual relationships. It is simply a matter of taking the "between a man and a woman" out of the text of the law.

aps said:
Look, Navy Pride. Just admit it. Your boyfriend has been pressuring you to marry him, and you want to "play the field" so you like that there is a ban on gay marriage so you can say, "The law prevents us from getting married."

Come on now. I know you can do it. ;)

Sorry hon, men don't have the right equipment for me.....;)

Stace said:
So what is it that makes gay marriage so much different from interracial marriage? By your logic, polygamy and incestual relationships should have been allowed when that ruling passed, as well. Changing the law to allow gay marriage would not in and of itself have to allow for polygamy or incestual relationships. It is simply a matter of taking the "between a man and a woman" out of the text of the law.

That is and easy one stace.........African Americans are defined as a race of people...........Gays are defined as a class by their sexual preference.........

As far as polygamy goes ask the Canadians.........They approved gay marriage and are starting to fight that problem now......

Navy Pride said:
That is and easy one stace.........African Americans are defined as a race of people...........Gays are defined as a class by their sexual preference.........

As far as polygamy goes ask the Canadians.........They approved gay marriage and are starting to fight that problem now......

Well....that's Canada. Besides, polygamy is a part of some persons religious culture. We'd practically be respecting a religion by allowing that ;)

Stace said:
Well....that's Canada. Besides, polygamy is a part of some persons religious culture. We'd practically be respecting a religion by allowing that ;)

What makes tou think the same thing would not happen here.......

You don't have to be a mormon or religeous to practice polygamy........You just have to want more then one wife..........

Navy Pride said:

LOL... oh really???

Tell me, what don't I -- a Canadian -- know about this? What exactly are we fighting, LOL?

Middleground said:
LOL... oh really???

Tell me, what don't I -- a Canadian -- know about this? What exactly are we fighting, LOL?

Polygamysts that want the same rights that gays have received.......

I am glad you find that funny..........

Navy Pride said:

Why is that a problem?

Engimo said:
Why is that a problem?

If you don't know I can't tell you..........You will find out though.......stay tuned.........

Navy Pride said:

Can you please provide a link? This is the first I heard of it.

Navy Pride said:
If you don't know I can't tell you..........You will find out though.......stay tuned.........

And this is the sort of logic we're supposed to base our laws on? Sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

Middleground said:
Can you please provide a link? This is the first I heard of it.

I heard a news story on the news the other day that becasue of legalization of gay marriage in Canada that law suits are being filed to allow polygamy.........

Here is a link on polygamy in Canada.........There are several......I am fighting the good fight against liberal thinking on about 10 threads right now so I don't have time to find the exact stories.........I will look for them later......

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/1/192006e.asp

Navy Pride said:

The swing vote does not apply here. The last ruling in favor of gay rights was 6-3. Do not be so sure that Roberts will even vote against gay marriage. He assisted a group of gays in a mock trial and he was helping them practice to win.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/08/09/national/w132241D23.DTL

Looks like you're the one that will need luck.

alex said:
The swing vote does not apply here. The last ruling in favor of gay rights was 6-3. Do not be so sure that Roberts will even vote against gay marriage. He assisted a group of gays in a mock trial and he was helping them practice to win.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/08/09/national/w132241D23.DTL

Looks like you're the one that will need luck.

That was a privacy ruling and I agree with it...What people do in the privacy of their bedrooms is their own business.......I am surprised it was not 9-0......Gay Marriage is a whole new ball game my friend..............

Oh and I am postitive that Roberts and Alito will vote against legalizing gay marriage......

I have a lot of gay friends. A lot. Many of them have life partners. None of them, however, are all that interested in being married. Who needs a piece of paper or a church service? No, what they want is a recognition of their civil union. They want to share benefits and enjoy the things married couples enjoy. Marriage isn;t the answer. Civil Unions are the key.

KCConservative said:
I have a lot of gay friends. A lot. Many of them have life partners. None of them, however, are all that interested in being married. Who needs a piece of paper or a church service? No, what they want is a recognition of their civil union. They want to share benefits and enjoy the things married couples enjoy. Marriage isn;t the answer. Civil Unions are the key.

I don't have a lot of gay friends but I have a few..........All they want is to live their life in peace and harmony and are embarrassed by the actions of a few militant gays and liberals that promote gay marriage at their expense.........They just want equal rights and believe the best way to do that is through civil unions..........They just wish the militant gays and the bleeding heart feel good liberals would just shut up..........

Busta said:

It's just a government study. Nothing about polygamists suing the government or anything. And the study said it should be decriminalized, not legalized.

Back
Top Bottom