• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another hurricane is coming...

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
... and put a big X on the roof of our house where they project the center will make landfall.

This will be our 3rd hurricane. One hit remote Cedar Keys (Dr. Anthony Fauci's hideout town) about 25 miles north as the crow flies. A lot of damage but not devastating there - and quite a bit of tidal surge here. There also was the monster they needlessly evacuated Miami for (what a mess) but instead it plowed into Naples on the Gulf Coast 150 south of us - and then slowly bled down coming up the center of Florida. Both those caused tidal surges here that took out some businesses and houses like they always do.

The claimed coming hurricane is acting really weird. Never saw any hurricane with a path like it.

It started as a tropical storm coming out of the Caribbean into the Gulf, then did a 90 degree turn to the East cutting across Florida. Just some wind and rain. But then the storm did another 90 degree turn back south. It went back to the Caribbean, built up force, snaked around the Caribbean as a tropic storm (less than 75 mph wind) sliding past Miami and headed a tad West. It is now in the warm Gulf Of Mexico waters heading North-ish - likely building up to hurricane force. The most likely projected path? Exactly at our Gulf frontage house and land - lots and lots and lots and lots of land. Draw an X at the center of where they figure it most will hit and you've drawn an X on the roof of our house. LOL.

All but a tiny bit of our land is woodland swamp, estuaries, sawgrass marshes and mud flats. Virgin natural land. Our house can take any hurricane and even would suffer no real damage with a direct tornado hit. It's a fortress. The question is the depth of the tidal surge because that always is the issue on the Natural West Coast of Florida - the greatest sea grass birthing grounds of the USA and the Gulf. While the Florida East Coast Atlantic side ocean gets deep fast, the West Gulf side is very flat. Basically 1 foot more water depth per mile - so it is a massive ramp for water to come up. Even just 1 foot of flooding will severely damage or total houses because the warm Gulf water has a lot of bacteria.

No tidal surge has ever breached our house - though one came within inches, highest in this area's history. Took out almost every neighbor's home in the surrounding area. Rather, the question is will the hurricane surge hit at the same time as the normal high high-tide - and how high will the be - meaning also where will the moon be when it hits. Regardless, much of our land will flood - but then it is a swamp. If really high and a lot of water, it will kill some palms, swamp trees and other plants than can't handle the salt water - but everything grows so fast it's just part of the natural cycle. Besides, most is land you can't walk thru, drive thru or airboat thru. It's natural land what will stay natural land as we put an easement on the deed forever prohibiting development - in exchange for tax exemption.

So I have the chore of making sure everything is tied down and put away that needs to be. Nothing more to it, though there will be the usual people who like to panic so will. I find the extremes of nature particularly interesting and beautiful. This land is the most beautiful place in the world to me. So many endangered and protected species - land, sea and air - that people come from around the world to here just hoping to see critters than I see almost every day. For our land, we are their guardians. So I enjoy things like hurricanes coming our way, which maybe is an unusual perspective. Nature always is and must evolve. Here, hurricanes are part of that process.

Just another hurricane coming right at us. No big deal.

Last edited:
ANCIENT PEOPLE'S BURIAL GROUNDS - we live on it and are surrounded by it. Thousands of years of ancient one-person graves everywhere. No idea how many thousands or tens of thousands or ???

The water has been rising for 12,000 years due to the slow melt off of the last ice age. The sea/Gulf level has risen 0.01 to 0.02 inches per year for 12,000 years - minus a mini ice age - and now at about 0.035 inches per year. The water front on the Gulf for this area was over 200 feet lower. Ultimately it will be 200 feet higher - unless there is another ice age - but that all is still a long, long way off. Regardless, it will keep rising no matter what humans do as an earth cycle. Every year a tiny bit of our land will disappear under water. We actually can somehow track the rise by exploring the thousands of vanished native American people's little rock mound graves - the oldest are now underwater. Ultimately nearly the entirety of Florida will go underwater.

T(o keep bodies from flooding, they piled up a rough triangle of rocks about 4 feet high over their graves - again those are everywhere. Nothing fancy. Just a slender pile of limestone rocks about the size of a bowling ball - only not shaped in any way. Just rocks they picked up or broke up. The older the piles are, the further out and underwater they now are. All the little shell islands all around here offshore are actual those people's dumps - where they opened up their clam, mussel, and lobster shells for thousands of years. No artifacts of any kind of those people remain - other than the grave stacks - other than later they made a few tall wide mounts probably for religious services may? None of those are on our land. Those are protected by law.

One reason this area was not drained like other Florida swamp land was not the challenge - but superstition. Who - back then - really wanted to build their home over an ancient NA cemetery? "Holy ground." Ghosts. Heathen burial ground too - so evil spirits, something lots of people thought about graveyards.

But we did build. Dead is dead. The acidity of the soil long since completely eliminated the corpses so those corpses just returned to the land and became part of it. Actually, the limestone rocks came in handy for some projects - though thousands and thousands of those grave piles are still everywhere back in the woodland swamp - that when the sea level was lower was more forest land than swamp land. So not only is our home, buildings, and cleared tad higher land and yard old grave land, but even some of our home's foundation is made with those burial mound stones. Spooky, huh? But not to me.

A few people fuss about it, even want the grave piles legally protected - to my response - "those are my ancestors and this is our land so it's my call, not yours. Now get the hell off my land so I don't have to round up some rocks for your grave." But I don't say it in a threatening way. Just serious in the sense of I really mean they need to get off our land immediately. Those graves helped me in our pitch to get the land from the government and for the tax exemption in exchange for keeping it perpetually virgin wildlife preserve land. When I can work white-guilt to my advantage, I do. "My people's land" as a way for everyone involved to get away with it, including the government people. Everything from endangered cranes, tortoises, snakes, manatees, even species of moths, other birds, plus never-hunt osprey etc have their babies here. Add all the poisonous snakes, insects, alligators, snapping turtles, ticks, 1 trillion mosquitos, biting bees and biting flies, the absolutely miserable no-see-ums... nobody goes hiking on our natural land. Most is 100% unpassable by humans by any means.

"I live back in the woods you see. My woman and the kids and the dogs and me. A country boy can survive."

Last edited:
The track has changed more towards LA.
But there are also 2 new systems forming.
Weird year.

The track has changed more towards LA.
But there are also 2 new systems forming.
Weird year.

It seems like hurricanes are having a love affair with LA this season.

The hurricane is still coming straight at us. Will hit tonight around 2 to 3 am. If NOAA is correct, our coastal house is X marks the spot where it makes land. I think that's cool. I like nature at it's most rugged. Raw nature in an otherwise human altered world so to speak.

It's raining like crazy now. LOTS of water coming down.

I wonder what color cat we'll end up with this time?

Every hurricane we end up with still another cat. The last time, a little cat literally ran into our home when I opened the door. The most fantastic, loveable and unique behavior cat I've ever seen. The only cat I've ever seen with a highly expressive face (different facial expressions.) The most lovable - likes everyone - alot. Most cats are easily frightened. Most communicative - makes different types of twittering sounds. Between facial expressions, twittering and body language it's like you can talk to him. Very interesting - my all time favorite by far.

We keep saying no more cats - but circumstances cause otherwise. For example, for the last two strays we took in - one a tiny 6 week old kitten round like a tennis ball for worms - but survived - and the other an orange cat - to be the last. Absolutely would not rescue anymore. We have cats in our house. Outdoor cats we made homes for on the porch. Rescue cats living in our warehouse. Rescue cats living in our office building. So NO more!

But, bizarrely, over a year later one identical sibling of one - and then another sibling of the other - showed up. Beyond identical markings, they immediately each went nose to nose - meaning they remembered each other. SO... still 2 more cats. I have no doubt this hurricane will bring still another cat - and then somehow still one more later. LOL

I don't even like cats all that much, but they are interesting animals and I'm who most takes care of and feeds them. Even build them their places to stay - quite nice. It takes patience to lead them though getting along together. What cats are most afraid of are other cats. Any new cat arrival disturbs the balance of power and pecking order. It takes a couple months for it to be sorted out between them - or even longer.

Anyway, this hurricane is coming right over the top of our house, property and commercial buildings a little inland according to NOAA. Every hurricane to hit us or near us has done so at night after midnight.

Time to make sure the generators are ready to go. People are so burned out on hurricane panic that no one is taking this one seriously - though this is the only one exactly AT our town. They have cried wolf too many times. But it is only a Cat 1 or 2 anyway. So it's all about the tidal surge, not the wind. And how long the power is out, of course. A high surge will wipe out some houses and businesses by flooding. Even a foot of water in a building will usually destroy it if wood framed. No way to get rid of the bacteria.

It's probably already to close for the President to stop it with nukes. LOL

Last edited:
Live update has it downgraded to a mere 70 mph. What a bummer. They project it hit our house dead-on shortly after 2 am Eastern time, which is what live satellite shows. My figuring puts its dead center about 6 to 7 miles north of us - where the old nuclear power plant is - but it's turned off - just a lot of radioactive stuff there.

Back
Top Bottom