• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Hole in the ACA

MarineTpartier

Haters gon' hate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I posted this in another thread and thought it deserves it's own thread. The ACA, IMO, will turn out to be one of the worst legislated and instituted social welfare plans in modern history. Notice I didn't say US history.

My favorite part (sarcasm) of the ACA is the fact that in delaying the the Employer Mandate portion of the law to Jan 1, 2015, the Democrats have effectively allowed all businesses to drop insurance coverage for their employees. Don't believe they'll do it? Check what Home Depot has done to over 20,000 workers.

Here are some effects of that little nugget of wisdom the Dems have perpetuated upon us:

-This allows all businesses to drop their employees from their health insurance. Why? Because their mandate isn't in effect until Jan 1, 2015 while their employees mandate is Jan 1, 2014. But wait, there's an alternative!

-If someone happens to be in a union, their union will protect them from losing their healthcare benefits. What kind of groups have over 450 members exempted? That's right, unions. Who did unions overwhelmingly support during the Presidential elections of 2008 and 2012? But wait, it gets better.

-Congress, according to a 2010 amendment to the ACA sponsored by Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), will not be exempt from the ACA. This bill was passed and signed into law by the way. They, according to the bill, "should be treated just like those ordinary working Americans who will be dumped from their employer’s plan and forced to shop on the exchanges." However, despite this amendment being passed, the White House Office of Personnel Management ruled (dictated) that the Congress could keep their full employers share of premiums despite the fact that these payments aren't authorized under the ACA. And finally, just to add a little conspiracy theory to it.

-Just to be clear, the above are facts. This is my opinion. If a person is working for a company that resides in a right to work state, doesn't have a union to join, and loses their healthcare that was previously provided by their employer, what is the effect of that? I will say that it will have a few possible effects:
1) That person will undoubtedly have to purchase insurance through the ACA thereby taking more money from his pocket.
2) That person MAY desire to join a union due to the fact that his employer screwed him over and he doesn't want it to happen again. Nevermind the fact that his employer was forced to by the Federal gov't or risk losing money and possibly closing it's doors.
3) That person MAY decide to vote against anyone that wants to take away the ACA despite the fact that the ACA is the reason all of this happened to begin with.
4) That person MAY decide to move to a state that requires union protection for him. Now that he's in a union he's contributing money, regardless of his political beliefs, to what will undoubtedly be a Democrat.

You think this sounds far fetched? I don't. Pres Obama essentially has guaranteed that his law will stay in effect, people will buy it, the people that support him and other Democrats will be exempt from it, and it will punish people who are not a member of a union. It's not even my job to think of this crap and I just made logical deductions of how this could eventually prove to benefit unions ie Democrats and punish/flip conservatives ie people who support right to work states/free market healthcare/etc. The most disturbing of all of this is the fact that the White House Office of Personnel Management essentially usurped the Congress by "ruling" that a full share of premiums are paid towards Congressmen's healthcare. How is this not making news? Hmmmm.

You put these words in quotation marks:

"should be treated just like those ordinary working Americans who will be dumped from their employer’s plan and forced to shop on the exchanges."

Saying it was "according to the bill."

These words do not appear in the bill.

Please clarify.

You put these words in quotation marks:

"should be treated just like those ordinary working Americans who will be dumped from their employer’s plan and forced to shop on the exchanges."

Saying it was "according to the bill."

These words do not appear in the bill.

Please clarify.
It was stated by the Senator during the debates for this bill. My mistake. However, do you have any response to the rest of the post?

Back
Top Bottom