• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another headache dealing with racism.

Rightwing86

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Sigh. Ok so I drank some vodka tonight, and was talking with my two roomies, from Mississippi. And of course somehow race got brought up. I think I may have posted something similar to this before so please forgive me.

One time my roommate suggested that if a black girl got raped it didn't matter to him as much as if a white girl got raped. But nonetheless he assured me he would still send the rapist to jail either way. That doesn't matter though, it matters that for some goddamn reason a white girl means more. I am white, I am libertarian, agnostic, I SICKENS ME that someone could think this way. ****ING SICKENS ME, in fact it enrages me. And boy we got into it. My mom always told me, to bite my tongue when things like this come up but damnit, I just can't. And than they always get so mad when I say People from the south are racists. He gets really mad then. But he can't be the only white guy who thinks a white girl getting raped means more than a black girl. Therefore there are others in the south who take his same view. I never ran into this before moving to the south for school. My mother is from Vicksburg MS and raised me to never hate another person, never be racist. Do I occasionally say the racist joke, yes. Is it immature and wrong, yes. But I don't actually believe anyone is more or less inferior and say that a white person matters more, that is bull****. And they always bring up "Well you're not from here where my county is 95% black so you don't know." Or they say "What inventions have African American's come up with?" Or "Why do blacks make up the majority in prison?" Those are not good questions. For one whites had a monopoly on society in this country for a long time. What we were just gonna let some black man patent his creation? Yeah right. Prisons, ok well when you get uneducated people who are poor, surrounded by drugs with no parents, they tend to not be the most outstanding citizens.

They say things like "How come when we were so advanced as a people they were still wearing loinclothes and killing eachother?"

This stuff is just very rude to my sensibilities. Other than this fact me and my roomies get a long very well. We have been friends for 3 years. But it irritates me, that they call themselves so called "Christians" and than hate on another one of "God's Creations" Since that is what they believe I assume.

Someone help me out here and either give advice, such as don't talk about this kinda stuff, or maybe some rebuttals?

If any of their things are true?
Why do blacks make up most of the prison system?
Why do blacks not really have any inventions?
Why were we more advanced than them at that age and even this one?
Why can't they seem to rise above their poverty like we can?

I know all of the above sound very racist, but these are things they asked me and I struggled with an answer.

1) Bad environments, no parents, possibly racism, longer/harder sentences. (is what I said.)
2) Not sure about # 2, possibly patent laws and no way to educate themselves.
3) Not even sure how to address this.
4) Not any evidence they can't I guess.

Is it wrong to say Southerners are racist when it seems a lot of racist people I meet tend to be or come from the South? I know not all are, but it seems a lot are. Is it fair to say the South has far more racist than any other area of the country? Why does this make people mad?

I am from CA and FL. I don't give a **** if someone says there are a lot of dumb liberals or homosexuals in San Francisco, or that there are a bunch of old terrible drivers in FL.

The people in the South are still stuck up on this NORTH SOUTH CRAP. They are like well you are from the North (CA) and I'm like... I don't give a **** about my state. I am an American. I am not a Californian, or Floridian, or Mississippian... Who cares it's about your country, not your damn state.

One time my roommate suggested that if a black girl got raped it didn't matter to him as much as if a white girl got raped.

Wow. What a terrible thing to say. In the process of your argument, did he ever manage to explain why he feels this way?

Someone help me out here and either give advice, such as don't talk about this kinda stuff, or maybe some rebuttals?

It took centuries to create the inferior position of African-Americans in society. It is foolish to think that they could be made equal in mere decades, especially given the policy missteps that have been made in those decades and the culture of victimhood that is promoted in American society. Perhaps it is not as much of a rebuttal as you may like, but there are also elements of African-American culture that serve to reinforce the socioeconomic disadvantages that they suffer. When adjusted for these factors, such as educational attainment or the presence of both parents in the home, the disparities in socioeconomic status and criminality almost vanish.

They are disportionately affected by almost all of the factors that contribute to criminality. There's also a cultural attitude of rebellion against "white" society-- mainstream society-- that prevents many of them from integrating successfully into the institutions that enable success in American society. Their families are blighted by promiscuity and parental abandonment, which are encouraged by a misguided government and exploitative mass media.

Lack of education, enforced by law for centuries. And this isn't entirely true, as there are several notable inventions produced by African-Americans.

Look into the Ethiopian Empire. Or the Moorish conquest of Spain. We're more advanced now because we got a temporary advantage over them in the Fifteenth Century and we've had our boots on their necks ever since. Like I said earlier, centuries of oppression can't be undone in a few decades.

Rising above poverty is extraordinarily rare regardless of race.

The people in the South are still stuck up on this NORTH SOUTH CRAP. They are like well you are from the North (CA) and I'm like... I don't give a **** about my state. I am an American. I am not a Californian, or Floridian, or Mississippian... Who cares it's about your country, not your damn state.

That's easy enough to say when your State didn't lose a civil war. You say that they're still "stuck up" on the civil war, but the South is still suffering socially, politically, and economically from the effects of the Civil War and Reconstruction. People have long memories; history doesn't just go away because we'd like it to.

This stuff is just very rude to my sensibilities. Other than this fact me and my roomies get a long very well. We have been friends for 3 years. But it irritates me, that they call themselves so called "Christians" and than hate on another one of "God's Creations" Since that is what they believe I assume.

If you can't handle the way your friends are, then you have two choices- give their friendship up, or take your friends as they are. You can't change them or anyone else to meet your own expectations, and if you can't see past their personality traits that you don't personally like, then this will lead to more internal tension with you.
The stereotyping we often see of groups of any kind is also done to Southern white males. It's something they have to live with, deserved or not, and I suspect that just the social stigma they have to live with causes as much internal tension for them as your hatred of their views does for you. All people have flaws of some kind. Some are easier to deal with than others. What this amounts to is that you have to decide what you are able to live with, because real change is always voluntary. You can control a human's actions, but you cannot control his thoughts and his beliefs. The individual has to see his own errors and change them.

Last edited:

Because they commit most of the crime, but this has multiple reasons behind it. It’s not just a simple matter of skin color. It’s cultural, economic, and psycho-social.

They do, but once people enter the arena of education and innovation, color becomes less of an issue, and it’s not focused on.

That’s a long story in the history of humanity and goes back to the time when individuals started venturing out in search of a better life.

They can, but our society has not really allowed them to, because we collectively treat them as if they are incapable.

If any of their things are true?
1 Why do blacks make up most of the prison system?
2 Why do blacks not really have any inventions?
3 Why were we more advanced than them at that age and even this one?
4 Why can't they seem to rise above their poverty like we can?

#1 First arm yourself with facts.
The official figures confirm what those who live in African-American communities know full well — too many blacks are behind bars, particularly black men. Indeed, nearly five percent of all black men, compared to 0.6 percent of white men, are incarcerated.5 In many states the rate is far worse. According to Human Rights Watch's calculations based on the 2000 U.S. Census, in twelve states more than ten percent of black men ages 18 to 64 are incarcerated.6 The Justice Department reports that nationwide, a similar percentage of black men in the ages 20-29 are behind bars. --snip--

The national war on drugs has perhaps been the primary factor behind the extraordinary rates at which blacks are incarcerated. Drug offenses account for nearly two out of five of the blacks sent to state prison. More blacks are sent to state prison for drug offenses (38 percent) than for crimes of violence (27 percent). In contrast, drug offenders constitute 24 percent of whites admitted to prison and violent offenders constitute 27 percent. --snip--

African-Americans are arrested, prosecuted, and imprisoned for drug offenses at far higher rates than whites. This racial disparity bears little relationship to racial differences in drug offending. For example, although the proportion of all drug users who are black is generally in the range of 13 to 15 percent, blacks constitute 36 percent of arrests for drug possession. Blacks constitute 63 percent of all drug offenders admitted to state prisons. In at least fifteen states, black men were sent to prison on drug charges at rates ranging from twenty to fifty-seven times those of white men. These quotes are from: HRW: Backgrounder: Incarcerated America, April 2003 -- Take a look at the statistical tables on this page for individual states.

I think we need a new acronym. DWB = Driving While Black. DDSDWB = Doing Drugs/Selling Drugs While Black.

#2. Today, blacks make up approximately 15% of our population. That's a larger number than the past. And blacks DO have inventions:
Laserphaco Probe
Year patented: 1986
Inventor: Patricia E. Bath, M.D., (1942–), first woman to chair an ophthalmology residency program in the United States

A specialized tool and procedure for the removal of cataracts, the Laserphaco Probe increased the accuracy and results of cataract surgery, previously performed manually with a mechanical grinder.

Oil-dripping cup for trains
Year patented: 1872
Inventor: Elijah McCoy (1844–1929)

Shoelasting Machine
Year patented: 1883
Inventor: Jan Ernst Matzeliger (1852–1889)

Gas mask
Year patented: 1912
Inventor: Garrett Morgan (1877–1963)

Computer Inventions
Inventor: Mark Dean, Ph.D. (1957- ), holds three of IBM's original nine PC patents and currently holds more than 20 total patents

Train-to-station communication system
Year patented: 1887
Inventor: Granville T. Woods (1856–1910) , received 35 patents for inventions that contributed to the development of the transportation and communication industries

The Supersoaker
Year patented: 1991
Inventor: Lonnie G. Johnson (1949- ) (You've probably played with THIS.)

The Blood Bank (Wow!)
Inventor: Charles Richard Drew M.D. (1904-1950)

Crop Rotation Methods; more than 300 uses for the Peanut
George Washington Carver (1864–1943)

Potato Chips
George Crum (1822-1914)
Google, there's plenty more.

3. and 4. Forty years ago, blacks couldn't even sit at the same lunch counter as whites in the south. Sixty years ago, they had to move off the sidewalk when whites walked by. Fifty-five years ago they had to ride at the back of the bus. After hundreds of years being treated like inferior human beings, their family structure destroyed by slavery, continuing to be destroyed by our public assistance entitlements -- what's doing on now is no great surprise.

c'mon "southerners are racist" is a very broad brush to be painting with - using whatever color of preference

how is that not also unfounded bias ... the kind your are objecting to?

and why let other people's comments control your emotions. instead exhibit the courage to express your own views, no matter how much they are out of concert with your bigoted student friends

They say things like "How come when we were so advanced as a people they were still wearing loinclothes and killing eachother?"
Because the geographic makeup of Africa is longitudinal, not latitudinal, and the land is not suited for widespread agriculture. These are the building blocks of advanced civilization which the Africans never really had access to.

Because they tend to be poor and the poor often cant afford adequate legal advice. Minorities in general tend to be poorer than whites.

Except, they do. Google "african american investors" and you'll get a laundry list.

As I said before, geography plays a huge role in that as well as the ability to develop agriculture. If you are spending most of your time hunting, you wont be able to develop the kind of technological breakthroughs that Europeans did.

They can and many are. Blacks in the modern era are much more affluent than of ages past.

Is it wrong to say Southerners are racist when it seems a lot of racist people I meet tend to be or come from the South? I know not all are, but it seems a lot are. Is it fair to say the South has far more racist than any other area of the country? Why does this make people mad?
EVERYONE is racist, it's just a matter of degree. A lot of Southerners dont like to be labeled as racist because they're trying very hard for the New South kind of label and dont want to be associated with the South's past.

I really appreciate all the feedback guys. I won't give up my friendship due to our differences, it would never be an option. I'll get a thicker skin but also maybe bring up some of these inventions cause they are really awesome. I know I shouldn't generalize just like they do. Bottom line is I guess we were all pretty drunk last night, and angry etc. Thanks again, all of this info has been really awesome.

Read some Tim Wise. Perhaps also read up on the past 500 years of slavery that blacks have gone through.

why are you asking questions like these in a place like this? why can you not look in places where the answers are likely to be? racism is part of our heritage.... always has been. it has not gone away simply because ,many of us would like it to go.
try this.

more white people commit crime than non-whites. this is not surprising... there simply ARE more white people and proportionally fewer poor whites than poor blacks- poverty is a leading cause of crime.

even so, propotionally fewer white people are arrested for crime than blacks. a smaller proportion of whites arrested are tried for the crimes they commit than blacks. a smaller propotion of whites tried are convicted than blacks. a smaller propotion of whites convicted serve prison time than blacks. whites sentenced to prison are sentenced to lesser terms than blacks.

According to self-report data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, African Americans constituted 14% of drug users in 2006, only slightly higher than their percentage in the general population. Yet African Americans represented 35% of those arrested in 2006 for drug offenses,15 53% of drug convictions,16 and 45% of drug offenders in prison in 2004 (the most recent year for which prison data are available).
source:

what would be YOUR conclusion?

as for the sophistication of culture in terms of technologies.... do you think the nice white folks of europe were 'lesser' than the dark skinned mediteraneans that conquered them? silly. Egypt is on the tip of africa and was the dominant culture of the west for centuries. The scientific, technological, artistic and political advances made by teh dark skinned people of india and arabia produced while the europeans were huddling in their medieval darkness stagger the mind.

even assuming that technology actually MEANS that one people is somehow 'better' than another (a preposterous idea) there are reasons that different peoples in different places 'develop' at different rates. Anthropologist Jared Diamond proposed a pretty good answer to most of your questions in a book titled 'Guns, Germs and Steel'. I recommend it.

PBS ran a series based on the show and featuring the good doctor - you can read a transcript here Guns Germs & Steel: The Show. Episode One | PBS

go to youtube/google video and you can find the show and watch it.

of course, you could just start drinking with a better class of people.

geo.

I post here because I wanted other people's opinions. Why else? I wanted to get advice and maybe learn about somethings such as your documentary and book that I can now see. I doubt I would have found that on my own. No need to be rude and say why am I asking questions? Why are people not asking questions?

Debatepolitics has a very bright community for the most part, and I wanted to get people who i consider intellectuals opinions on a matter. Thank you for your response.

better to be alone than in bad company -gw

Sigh. Ok so I drank some vodka tonight, and was talking with my two roomies, from Mississippi. And of course somehow race got brought up. I think I may have posted something similar to this before so please forgive me.

Debating emotionally charged issues while drinking vodka. Um. Yeah. Ok.

And than they always get so mad when I say People from the south are racists. He gets really mad then. But he can't be the only white guy who thinks a white girl getting raped means more than a black girl. Therefore there are others in the south who take his same view. I never ran into this before moving to the south for school. My mother is from Vicksburg MS and raised me to never hate another person, never be racist. Do I occasionally say the racist joke, yes. Is it immature and wrong, yes. Is it wrong to say Southerners are racist when it seems a lot of racist people I meet tend to be or come from the South? I know not all are, but it seems a lot are. Is it fair to say the South has far more racist than any other area of the country? Why does this make people mad?

Your generalizations offend me and insult my culture. You are as guilty of prejudice against Southerners with as little basis as the guy you are lambasting for racism.

I get ****ing sick o hearing about "those racist Southerners" because
1. I've known of plenty of racists from other parts o the country.
2. Just because you've run into a couple of racists from the South doesn't mean we're all like that.
3. Where did the Rodney King incident occur? Wasn't in the South...
4. Enormous progress has been made in race relations in the South over the past two decades, but some people act like we're still stuck in the 60s. Hell my 80 year old mother has come to accept interracial marriage, and when she was a young person it was illegal.
5. Race relations in most of the South are probably better than race relations in Chicago, NYC and a lot of other major cities... certainly there seem to be a lot more violent incidents there.
6. I've lived in the South 44 years. I've SEEN with my own eyes how much things have changed. Every day I see whites and blacks working side by side and getting along just great. Every day I see interracial couples and nobody bats an eye. And THEN I have to listen to people like you telling me we're all racists... grrr.

Yeah, way to paint with a broad brush there hero.

Last edited:
Debating emotionally charged issues while drinking vodka. Um. Yeah. Ok.

Your generalizations offend me and insult my culture. You are as guilty of prejudice against Southerners with as little basis as the guy you are lambasting for racism.

I get ****ing sick o hearing about "those racist Southerners" because
1. I've known of plenty of racists from other parts o the country.
2. Just because you've run into a couple of racists from the South doesn't mean we're all like that.
3. Where did the Rodney King incident occur? Wasn't in the South...
4. Enormous progress has been made in race relations in the South over the past two decades, but some people act like we're still stuck in the 60s. Hell my 80 year old mother has come to accept interracial marriage, and when she was a young person it was illegal.
5. Race relations in most of the South are probably better than race relations in Chicago, NYC and a lot of other major cities... certainly there seem to be a lot more violent incidents there.
6. I've lived in the South 44 years. I've SEEN with my own eyes how much things have changed. Every day I see whites and blacks working side by side and getting along just great. Every day I see interracial couples and nobody bats an eye. And THEN I have to listen to people like you telling me we're all racists... grrr.

Yeah, way to paint with a broad brush there hero.

I have lived in the South for four years (10 if you include FL). I have met many great people here. Both of my parents are from the South and I have very close family in Texas, ATL, SC, FL. I acknowledge in my own post that my accusation of Southerners is wrong. I said I say it when I get very angry at people who start an argument with racism. I usually only use it against people who are generalizing in the first place so they can see how it feels to be lumped into a category like they are doing. And sorry but "nobody" batting an eye at interracial couples ... please. You obviously havn't met any of the young people I have met at the University of Mississippi. Oxford is one of the whitest towns in Mississippi. And people get pissed when they see a black person with a white person, I don't, they do. It's stupid. If you want people in the South to stop being looked at as racist, maybe people should raise their children to not hate on other races, seems simple enough to me.

See when you try and tell me that racism has improved so much... it's hard to see it sometimes. When I run into "young 20 somethings" that are supposed to be of a new type of generation that doesn't have the racism that their parents or grandparents have... it's just not true. It got passed along very easily, and it seems it will continue to do so, who knows?

Last edited:
No need to be rude and say why am I asking questions? Why are people not asking questions?

sorry... but it is an issue that really rubs a sore spot. and it is clear that you KNOW better than to swallow that ignorant cracker bull****. why do you need people to tell you what you should already know?

your 'friends' are assholes. NOT because they are southerners, but because they are assholes.

racism is everywhere. what your friends think, as a matter of fact, matters damn near not at all. Goshin is right as rain, here. it may be that there is a residue of common popular racism in the south, but in fact, 'real' racism, functional racism is much less there than in the big northern cities... like here, in L.A. Blacks in the south are better organized and involved.

again, sorry for biting your head off... to be honest, i actually toned that original response DOWN to avoid being offensive.

oh well
geo.

Well I think it speaks volumes about how sheltered you were growing up to poverty and it's causes in the kinds of questions you are asking. Let me just ask you a question, which race in United States uses food stamps, section 8, and welfare the most?

You know what, sometimes trying to educate the person works, and sometimes popping them in the jaw works better. (Coming from me, I know this may be a shock to everyone.)

When I used to live on campus back in the day (;)), I lived with a bunch of guys. I wasn't really out to my roommates because it was none of their business, but after the mid-term we got another gay guy who was fairly open. He was kind of a jock, preppy type, and not afraid to talk about his like of guys. One day a couple of the others were in the living room getting hammered, and they started talking about fag this, fag that. My gay roommate walked out and asked them why the hell they were talking such trash when he was right in the next room and could hear them. One of them said, "You're a fag, so we don't care."

My gay roommate socked him right in the nose, made it bleed too. The guy was crying. Then my roommate walked out of the room. That dude never said another word about fags again.

I don't support violence but sometimes people need a curt lesson in respect.

Well I think it speaks volumes about how sheltered you were growing up to poverty and it's causes in the kinds of questions you are asking. Let me just ask you a question, which race in United States uses food stamps, section 8, and welfare the most?

The Mutha ****in' Crackaaaz!

The thing I don't get the most is where folks find the absolute HORROR of someone displaying openly biased views. I wouldn't even necessarily call them RACIST. Maybe one is just questioning, out loud, why blacks have so many more problems socially than whites do. Hell I'd like to know the answer to that question too. But that isn't my point.

My point is that there are an equal number of racist white people in the north than there are in the south. The difference is that people in the south aren't such pansy asses that they are afraid to openly discuss social problems of a "racial variety". The black comedians mock this in the way they mock how white people won't even laugh at their jokes aimed at black people. Its because whites, more so in the north, are too afraid to even attempt to have a discussion about race that may lead to them being labeled as a racist. Because we all know one wrong comment, tone of voice, etc and the NAACP is knocking on your front door demanding a video-taped apology, even if it wasn't offensive.

Growing up in the south I see blacks and whites working together, living as neighbors, etc, etc with no problems, as Goshin stated. Part of this is that we aren't afraid to discuss racial differences with one another. Southern blacks are typically MUCH less "sensitive" to racial discussions as long as one isn't being a rude jerk about the whole thing. Whereas in the north, it seems like any white who observes another white even making mention of someone's race is like a *gulp* *turn the other way and pretend I didn't hear* or even *get angry-white guilt on his ass*, especially when what is being said isn't even "racist" per se.

Its just my opinion. Thats what this place is for. I say this having worked with people for the last 10 years in two different careers where people have come from all over the country, and living/working in an area of a "New South" city that has a higher population of born New Englanders than actual southerners.

Sorry and I just have to add, that you were somehow shocked that people are racist in Mississippi too was funny, like you just got into the state that day or something. I've had two black friends talk about passing through there, one on business the other to go to mardi gras, and depending on the part of Mississippi you go through, black people "still know their place" and my one friend in fact got pulled over TWICE by the cops going through there because they though he stole his car which happened to be a BMW. The first time a cop approached his car they seriously asked him if he was a singer or in professional sports or something. I think if you actually hung out with some black people, you would have a different view on a lot of things.

Sorry and I just have to add, that you were somehow shocked that people are racist in Mississippi too was funny, like you just got into the state that day or something. I've had two black friends talk about passing through there, one on business the other to go to mardi gras, and depending on the part of Mississippi you go through, black people "still know their place" and my one friend in fact got pulled over TWICE by the cops going through there because they though he stole his car which happened to be a BMW. The first time a cop approached his car they seriously asked him if he was a singer or in professional sports or something. I think if you actually hung out with some black people, you would have a different view on a lot of things.

If you actually hung out with black people, you could claim this tired old regurgitated story about the black guy getting stopped driving a nice car in the south because some hick hillbilly thought he stole it like everyone else always does.

Does this story not get old and played out boring to anyone?

If you actually hung out with black people, you could claim this tired old regurgitated story about the black guy getting stopped driving a nice car in the south because some hick hillbilly thought he stole it like everyone else always does.

Does this story not get old and played out boring to anyone?

So you're suggesting my friend doesn't own a BMW?

Racist.

So you're suggesting my friend doesn't own a BMW? Racist

No, Im suggesting Ive heard that story a thousand times..

However... I see what you did there. :)

Wow. What a terrible thing to say. In the process of your argument, did he ever manage to explain why he feels this way?

It took centuries to create the inferior position of African-Americans in society. It is foolish to think that they could be made equal in mere decades, especially given the policy missteps that have been made in those decades and the culture of victimhood that is promoted in American society. Perhaps it is not as much of a rebuttal as you may like, but there are also elements of African-American culture that serve to reinforce the socioeconomic disadvantages that they suffer. When adjusted for these factors, such as educational attainment or the presence of both parents in the home, the disparities in socioeconomic status and criminality almost vanish.

They are disportionately affected by almost all of the factors that contribute to criminality. There's also a cultural attitude of rebellion against "white" society-- mainstream society-- that prevents many of them from integrating successfully into the institutions that enable success in American society. Their families are blighted by promiscuity and parental abandonment, which are encouraged by a misguided government and exploitative mass media.

Lack of education, enforced by law for centuries. And this isn't entirely true, as there are several notable inventions produced by African-Americans.

Look into the Ethiopian Empire. Or the Moorish conquest of Spain. We're more advanced now because we got a temporary advantage over them in the Fifteenth Century and we've had our boots on their necks ever since. Like I said earlier, centuries of oppression can't be undone in a few decades.

Rising above poverty is extraordinarily rare regardless of race.

That's easy enough to say when your State didn't lose a civil war. You say that they're still "stuck up" on the civil war, but the South is still suffering socially, politically, and economically from the effects of the Civil War and Reconstruction. People have long memories; history doesn't just go away because we'd like it to.

You're bad ass, Korimyr.
So often, you save me the trouble of posting, because you've already said exactly what i was planning to say (and then some).

:thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom