• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another headache dealing with racism.

Ok then can you answer me why most the time you talk to or get stopped by a cop or whatever they are instantly acting like a dick? Im sure they aint bad guys in real life, but is that just something they get taught to do or what?

I have been stopped by officers in most of the western states and I have never had one of them start with a bad attitude with me, well except for one in Idaho. In this case, I asked the officer how he knew I traveled X feet in Y seconds and he just told me because he knew. I knew it was from the airplane but I guess he thought the smart ass answer was cuter. I took the ticket and thought no more about it. I was speeding. The last 2 miles in a 1000 mile trip. It always happens like that.

The officers are there to write tickets and they do it.

If you just hand over your license and reg without saying anything or much they do their job and you are on your way. If you don't make a scene with the officer chances are he won't remember you in court when you plead not guilty, so it will be thrown out. It works most of the time.

Why would you argue with an officer doing his job?

The court is where decisions are made, not on the street.

What if some other cop- not you- subconsciously had different expectations for how a white suspect should act and for how a black suspect should act, based on deeply ingrained racial stereotypes and/or past personal experiences?
And what if these assumptions, these different expectations, caused him to treat white suspects differently that black suspects, even if in fact their behavior was identical?
What if the cop perceived the white suspect's behavior as harmless natural defensiveness, while he perceived identical behavior from the black suspect to be threatening and potentially dangerous?
This would result in the cop feeling only mild annoyance with the white suspect, while possibly taking action to stifle identical behavior in the black suspect.
It would result in the cop treating the two suspects differently, on the basis of their skin color, and his past experiences, and his own assumptions about what skin color signified.

This is an example of systematic racism.
Systems and institutions are made up of individuals. Many individuals subconsciously harbor racism; some of them don't even realize it.

Caine please school these people on the type of screening, training and schooling an officer goes through even before he is ever put out on the street.

You know, you can throw 10's of examples out there of idiots being idiots regardless of their job.

I can throw millions of them out there, they are called prisoners convicted of felony crimes.......

True enough I'm sure, but the issue wasn't if most people get thrown in there deserve it, it was if cops being racist was still a problem or not. Here in Cincinnati we have race riots every few years like it's a festival or something. Sometimes it's the cops fault, sometimes it's just the community overblowing what the cop is doing. Eitherway...it's crazy and I forgot my point about telling you that. Lol

Maybe YOU are giving some sort of attitude and you don't even realize it.

True enough. I've been given a ticket from the ladies downstairs from me in my old apartment keep calling the cops on me because of my cats running back and forth on the floor like a bunch of pyschos. The 15th time this happened (and the old ladies would tell the cops I was beating my gf, breaking furniture, throwing dishes, etc) I was playing Guitar Hero and was a little drunk. The lady came in and I was pretty damn mad. I basically said something like "you are wasting yours and my time and my tax dollars being here". Boy she didn't like that, but after she wrote the ticket well, they never showed up afterwards.

Still, unless I have my girlfriend with me they always seem to go in dick mode. Btw, I have total respect for (most) police unlike most people my age I appreciate having people around to make sure I don't get my **** stolen or my gf get raped. I also know 2 cops personally that are family friends. You sure as hell couldn't tell they were cops though by the way they drink and/or party though.

The thing I don't get the most is where folks find the absolute HORROR of someone displaying openly biased views. I wouldn't even necessarily call them RACIST. Maybe one is just questioning, out loud, why blacks have so many more problems socially than whites do. Hell I'd like to know the answer to that question too. But that isn't my point.

My point is that there are an equal number of racist white people in the north than there are in the south. The difference is that people in the south aren't such pansy asses that they are afraid to openly discuss social problems of a "racial variety". The black comedians mock this in the way they mock how white people won't even laugh at their jokes aimed at black people. Its because whites, more so in the north, are too afraid to even attempt to have a discussion about race that may lead to them being labeled as a racist. Because we all know one wrong comment, tone of voice, etc and the NAACP is knocking on your front door demanding a video-taped apology, even if it wasn't offensive.

Growing up in the south I see blacks and whites working together, living as neighbors, etc, etc with no problems, as Goshin stated. Part of this is that we aren't afraid to discuss racial differences with one another. Southern blacks are typically MUCH less "sensitive" to racial discussions as long as one isn't being a rude jerk about the whole thing. Whereas in the north, it seems like any white who observes another white even making mention of someone's race is like a *gulp* *turn the other way and pretend I didn't hear* or even *get angry-white guilt on his ass*, especially when what is being said isn't even "racist" per se.

Its just my opinion. Thats what this place is for. I say this having worked with people for the last 10 years in two different careers where people have come from all over the country, and living/working in an area of a "New South" city that has a higher population of born New Englanders than actual southerners.

Thank you.

I'm reminded of something. Back when I was an office manager with 27 employees working for me, my right-hand man and assistant was a black guy named Chuck. The only reason Chuck wasn't the boss was because he didn't want to be. He considered it more trouble than it was worth, and was content with being lead-person. (Incidentally, he was right - it WAS more trouble than it was worth, but that's another story.}

When one of my white employees would do something colossally stupid, causing nasty phone calls to come from on high, Chuck would poke me and say "That's your people."

When one of my black employees would screw up royally, I'd poke him and say "That's your people."

We both got a laugh out of it. We got along well and were able to talk about racial issues bluntly... Chuck even helped me deal with a bogus accusation of racism by a black employee, because 1. Chuck knew me and 2. Chuck knew the accuser was full of BS and looking for an excuse.

Yeah, all us southerners are racists and don't get along with blacks at all...

Ignorant people are going to think what they want to.

I can't convince people of how policing works, they should probably ask to do a ride along with thier local police department and find out for themselves.

There are thousands of different factors that lead to why blacks get arrested more often than whites.
It has little to do with "the cops are racists pigs maaaaaaaan".

see, trouble is, no one said that. what that fella that posted the statistics from the united states dept of health and human services said is that the law is enforced with greater punitive effect on blacks than on whites.

this is true. and it is significant. we are inclined to tell ourselves that we are a 'post racial' society. that is nonsense.

geo.

I don't act like a dick until I get some attitude from a snot nose peice of **** who thinks he is too good to be caught doing something illegal.

80% of the time I finish a traffic stop, even when issuing a ticket, I get thanked by the person I just gave a ticket to, in a polite manner.

Maybe YOU are giving some sort of attitude and you don't even realize it.

Example: just the other night I stopped a guy for a red light violation. He busted right on red without stopping first. I stop him, ask for his license and registration and he immediately demands "WHY WAS i STOPPED?!?"
So, due to his attitude, I respond, "Sir, you could have at least tried to pretend that you were going to stop at that red light before turning" He then goes into how he stopped, blah blah. So I go back to my vehicle and run his license/etc. Now, when I stopped the guy, I had already made up my mind that barring any serious attitude or other problems I was going to give him a warning. But his attitude put me in "I have to write this guy now" level. But I really DIDN'T WANT to write him. So I stopped my camera tape, and turned it back on immediately (this is so I could access the video that had already been recorded). I then asked the man if he would step out of the vehicle and take a look at my video, if that would change his mind. He agreed. I replayed the video on my laptop for him to view, and he acknowledged that he did in fact blow through the stop light, and apologized.

Sometimes people are so wrapped up in what they were doing that they don't realize their mistakes, and then they compound the problem by acting like an insufferable or impatient prick towards the officers. THAT is why we respond by "acting like a dick".

I work with a LOT of gops from every city in the county and including the county sherrifs. I dont get pulled over very often...but on the few occasions I have I have pretty much known I was in the wrong. I dont whip out my get out of jail free card...I save that for if I am ever really in trouble. When I have been pulled over I know the rules and follow them. I dont expect to get out of a ticket but do figure that by treating the officers with respect whatever I get will be minimized. That has universally been the case.

Im not a cop. I see how they are treated on a regular basis and know I wouldnt want to have to put up with the bull**** they put up with on a regular basis. Most of the cops that I work with have 'attitudes' (I think you have to have somewhat of an attitutde to do the job) but treat everyone the same regardless of status or race. That can be a good thing or a bad thing...depending on how the person they have pulled over or detained responds to them.

LOL... You tell me anecdotes (REAL LIFE EXAMPLES) aren't worth anything....

i don't believe i said that. in fact, i am pretty certain i did not.

what i did say was "anecdotes are always welcome" - they are. aside from being interesting and entertaining, they may be informative, at least in terms of how the teller has formed his or her viewpoints. Cynicism from a cop comes as little surprise.

i continued, "but they establish nothing much at all" in terms of the greater issue. I know a fella that went to V.N. spent his days in the O Club (he worked there), partied for 2 yrs and came home and took a job tending bar. cool story. hardly though tells us much of what happened over there in general. in case you were wondering... it wasn't that cool for most.
Then you suggest that we GUESS based upon your own self established PROBABILITY of what the problem is.
probability? ya might wanna check my math, but last i heard the probability that two mutually exclusive premises MIGHT be true... is zero. you get one or the other.

the equation is simple. blacks live disproportionately poorly because of THEM or because of US.
Yes, I do bring anecdotal stories, because with all these STATISTICS people like to bring up, there is something missing in all that..... behind every single number in a STATISTIC there is a REAL LIFE story, which is not documented, and not read by the individual throwing STATISTICS out there.
and we are appreciative. everyone loves cop stories. why i remember spending small hours of the morning on the roof of the parking garage behind the abandoned department store with a wilshire homicide dick getting ****faced and listening to his stories... we were perfectly safe from cops and criminals.
This is why people can take their statistics and shove them up their ass.

the echoing cry of the arrogant and the ignorant "SCREW THE FACTS"

geo.

the equation is simple. blacks live disproportionately poorly because of THEM or because of US.

Exactly.

I work with a LOT of gops from every city in the county and including the county sherrifs. I dont get pulled over very often...but on the few occasions I have I have pretty much known I was in the wrong. I dont whip out my get out of jail free card...I save that for if I am ever really in trouble. When I have been pulled over I know the rules and follow them. I dont expect to get out of a ticket but do figure that by treating the officers with respect whatever I get will be minimized. That has universally been the case.

Im not a cop. I see how they are treated on a regular basis and know I wouldnt want to have to put up with the bull**** they put up with on a regular basis. Most of the cops that I work with have 'attitudes' (I think you have to have somewhat of an attitutde to do the job) but treat everyone the same regardless of status or race. That can be a good thing or a bad thing...depending on how the person they have pulled over or detained responds to them.

I don't understand this part.

To treat everybody the same regardless of race can be good or bad, I say it is good.

Then you go on to say it depends on how that person treats the officer. I would say the change in the officers attitude toward that person has nothing to do with their race but their attitude.

Can you please explain what you were trying to say here?

Exactly.

The poster apparently was asking a quistion even though he forgot the question mark.

"the equation is simple. blacks live disproportionately poorly because of THEM or because of US."

You said exactly. Exactly what?

The poster apparently was asking a quistion even though he forgot the question mark.

"the equation is simple. blacks live disproportionately poorly because of THEM or because of US."

He wasn't asking a question. He was making a statement of fact.

You said exactly. Exactly what?

His statement is exactly right.

He wasn't asking a question. He was making a statement of fact.

His statement is exactly right.

So it is everybodys fault they live "poorly"

What if some other cop- not you- subconsciously had different expectations for how a white suspect should act and for how a black suspect should act, based on deeply ingrained racial stereotypes and/or past personal experiences?
And what if these assumptions, these different expectations, caused him to treat white suspects differently that black suspects, even if in fact their behavior was identical?
What if the cop perceived the white suspect's behavior as harmless natural defensiveness, while he perceived identical behavior from the black suspect to be threatening and potentially dangerous?
This would result in the cop feeling only mild annoyance with the white suspect, while possibly taking action to stifle identical behavior in the black suspect.
It would result in the cop treating the two suspects differently, on the basis of their skin color, and his past experiences, and his own assumptions about what skin color signified.

This is an example of systematic racism.
Systems and institutions are made up of individuals. Many individuals subconsciously harbor racism; some of them don't even realize it.

Its funny.
your post made me realize how unfair I treat my white citizens.

Because so often, (about 3 out of 4 stops) when I deal with black people on traffic related offenses, I get the attitude of "YOU STOP ME CUZ I BLACK!" that it becomes an expectation. When I deal with those who don't give me that attitude, I almost instantly give them a warning on whatever minor offense they comitted which had me stop them in first place.

White citizens don't have that advantage. In fact since I work in a wealthy area of town, I usually assume the white folk aren't going to be devastated by the fine related to a traffic charge, and I don't feel bad at all writing them for their violation.

I'm totally not fair to the white citizens in my area.

I do not believe that three out of four black people you stop say "YOU STOP ME CUZ I BLACK".
Nor do I believe that three out of four black people project the "attitude" "YOU STOP ME CUZ I BLACK".

I believe you when you say that is your perception.
I believe your perception is flawed, however.
I would not be surprised if the perception of many of your fellow officers is similarly faulty.
This assertion of yours proves my point better than anything I could say.

I don't understand this part.

To treat everybody the same regardless of race can be good or bad, I say it is good.

Then you go on to say it depends on how that person treats the officer. I would say the change in the officers attitude toward that person has nothing to do with their race but their attitude.

Can you please explain what you were trying to say here?

The regardless of race is simply a qualifier. Take that out of the sentence and reread it. They treat everyone the same. the difference is how the people respond to them. if the guy that got pulled over acts like a dick, regardless of race the officer is going to respond to the behavior...not the gender, not the skin color.

see, trouble is, no one said that. what that fella that posted the statistics from the united states dept of health and human services said is that the law is enforced with greater punitive effect on blacks than on whites.

this is true. and it is significant. we are inclined to tell ourselves that we are a 'post racial' society. that is nonsense.

geo.

LOL.
What do you know about how a decision is made as to the severity of punishment levels in a crime?
Answer the question.

I do not believe that three out of four black people you stop say "YOU STOP ME CUZ I BLACK".
Nor do I believe that three out of four black people project the "attitude" "YOU STOP ME CUZ I BLACK".

I believe you when you say that is your perception.
I believe your perception is flawed, however.
I would not be surprised if the perception of many of your fellow officers is similarly faulty.
This assertion of yours proves my point better than anything I could say.

You are free to not believe whatever you wish.

Im the one who has to deal with these people in real time.

...depending on how the person they have pulled over or detained responds to them.

I agree with all of your response but this is the part that really resonates with me.

I think alot of times what some members of the public fail to realize is that if we have stopped someone for a lawful purpose, We are under no obligation to give someone a warning of any sort on a crime that they have committed. Yet so many self righeous pricks believe that I have to "give respect" in order to "get respect" and these same self righeous pricks believe that by merely stopping them I have already "disrespected" them.

It doesn't work that way.

i don't believe i said that. in fact, i am pretty certain i did not.

what i did say was "anecdotes are always welcome" - they are. aside from being interesting and entertaining, they may be informative, at least in terms of how the teller has formed his or her viewpoints. Cynicism from a cop comes as little surprise.

i continued, "but they establish nothing much at all" in terms of the greater issue. I know a fella that went to V.N. spent his days in the O Club (he worked there), partied for 2 yrs and came home and took a job tending bar. cool story. hardly though tells us much of what happened over there in general. in case you were wondering... it wasn't that cool for most.

probability? ya might wanna check my math, but last i heard the probability that two mutually exclusive premises MIGHT be true... is zero. you get one or the other.

and we are appreciative. everyone loves cop stories. why i remember spending small hours of the morning on the roof of the parking garage behind the abandoned department store with a wilshire homicide dick getting ****faced and listening to his stories... we were perfectly safe from cops and criminals.

the echoing cry of the arrogant and the ignorant "SCREW THE FACTS"

geo.

Statistics don't explain the situation. You can continue to believe that if you wish. But when every single one of those numbers have different circumstances and factors creating them, You can't even begin to classify every single one. These are actual people with actual stories. You can't just look at statistics and say, "Racism = Duh Cause of Duh Numburz"

So it is everybodys fault they live "poorly"

It can be.

It was an either or statement. I agree with it to.

Sometimes they live poorly because of them, occassionaly because of us.

I tend to blame an individual for that individual's problems more often than I blame society. If more people would stop holding themselves down because of how they THINK society is hindering them and worked hard to accomplish a goal then more people would be sucessful. That accounts for everyone, not just a specific racial minority.

If everyone had the determination that Will Smith's character (based on a real story) in "The Pursuit of Happyness" (good movie btw) had, then more people would get further in life.

LOL.
What do you know about how a decision is made as to the severity of punishment levels in a crime?
Answer the question.

forgive me, i do not know how to spell LOL, or i would join you in expressing all the humor I find in this subject.

i will gladly answer the question. firstly allow me to say that I got no kick against 5.0., gnome sane?

i do not believe cops are racists. some are. most that are were before becoming cops and likely, in most large metro area (such as here in L.A.) the percentage ON the force is likely less than that in the general population.

the real problem is less racism than poverty. it just happens that a greater proportion of black folk are poor than white folk. a MUCH greater proportion. that leaves us, as i said before, with simple options; blacks are poorer than whites because they are inferior humans or our culture keeps them that way.

the simple truth is that differences count - to everyone - it is part of how the brain works. it takes a deliberate and conscious effort to KEEP it from making a difference. MOST cops that I know understand this. most NONcops i know are generally unaware and pretty indifferent to it.

the answer to your question: statistics responsibly gathered and analyzed are valid means of understanding things. works for batting averages, works for law.

a simple example you are already familiar with will make it clear that we DO treat different classed of folk differently, especially in law. crack vs powder. We recently changed the law so that crack arrestees only receive 2-3 times the penalty as powder coke users instead 10 to 12 times the penalty.

probably just a coincidence that crack is predominantly used by black folk (being cheaper) and powder by white?

or not.

geo.

forgive me, i do not know how to spell LOL, or i would join you in expressing all the humor I find in this subject.

i will gladly answer the question. firstly allow me to say that I got no kick against 5.0., gnome sane?

i do not believe cops are racists. some are. most that are were before becoming cops and likely, in most large metro area (such as here in L.A.) the percentage ON the force is likely less than that in the general population.

the real problem is less racism than poverty. it just happens that a greater proportion of black folk are poor than white folk. a MUCH greater proportion. that leaves us, as i said before, with simple options; blacks are poorer than whites because they are inferior humans or our culture keeps them that way.

the simple truth is that differences count - to everyone - it is part of how the brain works. it takes a deliberate and conscious effort to KEEP it from making a difference. MOST cops that I know understand this. most NONcops i know are generally unaware and pretty indifferent to it.

the answer to your question: statistics responsibly gathered and analyzed are valid means of understanding things. works for batting averages, works for law.

a simple example you are already familiar with will make it clear that we DO treat different classed of folk differently, especially in law. crack vs powder. We recently changed the law so that crack arrestees only receive 2-3 times the penalty as powder coke users instead 10 to 12 times the penalty.

probably just a coincidence that crack is predominantly used by black folk (being cheaper) and powder by white?

or not.

geo.

I think you missed the point.

The point is that severity of punishements for the "same crime" differ greatly on a case by case basis.

If you can show me what would have to be an EXTREMELY complex set of data comparing the aggravating factors taken into consideration when a judge decides on sentencing between all offenders and then compiled the data, it still couldn't even accurately compare the differences.

Just stating "blacks get harsher sentences than whites, das duh racist! See here be my data......" doesnt take ANY of this commonly overlooked thing... aggravating factors and mitigating factors..... into consideration.

Example: 2 white kids break into a school during summer break by entering through an unlocked door and steal some bubble gum left in a jar on a teacher's desk, they trigger the alarm unknowingly and immediately surrender to police when asked to do so. BURGLARY
2 black kids break into a school by breaking the glass at the front lobby area and make entry into the school. They then steal 4 laptops with cases. They trigger the alarm unknowingly and when police arrive they run and a foot pursuit ensues. A police officer is injured during the pursuit as they enter the woodline and the officer rolls his ankle and falls, causing that officer to have surgery. Another officer catches one of the suspects and then has to wrestle with him to get him into custody. The other kid has to be tracked down by a K9 dog and surrenders when the dog catches up. BURGLARY.

Do you see what I am getting at?

I think you missed the point.

no, I do not think I did.

the actual merits of an individual incident are qualified by what goes down during the incident NOT by external factors nor by normalized data regarding similar incidents. yes, you are absolutely right.

if we are talking about 5 or even 50 individual instances of crime and punishment over a few days, i would be hard pressed to suggest that such disparities in treatment could NOT be attributed to factors that are part of the incidents themselves. When, though, we are talking about 100,000's of incidents over decades (at least), a 'leveling' factor reveals demonstrable trends by marginalizing idiosyncratic incidents.

lets reverse my argument for a second and see what comes up.

in division 2 of Big City (pop. est, 20,000) almost all residents are black. in this scenario, a large number of white arrestess would be 'idiosyncratic', a spike,. and tell us essentially nothing.we could assume that looking at the same population over a greater period would 'level' the disparity as such ' idiosyncrasies.' are marginalized.

We can say this because one might reasonably assume that the number of arrestees, when categorized by race, would correlelate to that of the population, idiosyncrasies. aside; that is, that most of the people arrested in Div 2 would be black though not in Big City, itself, (pop est 2.5m), with an 80% white citizenry.

Now, most of the cops on BCPD are white, but most citizens of Big City are white and the proportion of black to white on the police force reasonably reflects the proportion of black to white in the population of Big City as a whole. No, the 'dispropotion' is NOT due to racism. And the disrportion in white arrests? Over the next five years, the number of white arrests in Div 2 returned to the mean, leveling out the anomaly. Turns out, in the year when there was an unusual number of whites arrested in Div 2, a skinhead biker gang tried to move in on the Meth distrubution network in the inner city, one of those 'mitigating factors. Well, you know... homies wasn't goin' fo' dat, no way, them white boys couldn't cope, took it back to the sticks, true dat!

Both black and white citizens of BC use drugs (the swine). Though the proportion of each group of users is proportionate to their numbers within the greater population (eg, approx. 15% of both groups use drugs) we can assume that most drug users are white and we might reasonably assume that the number of arrestees for drug use would be white. If we notice that, in fact, 30% of the black population and 30% of the white, we might want to look for the idiosyncratic factor. if we look back over 5 years and see the same trend, we have to look NOT at this years arrests, but at the pattern of arrests over that entire time. and what we find when we look is unemployment, poverty, gangs, despair. BUT... that may account for the drug use (begs the question of the cause of a proportionate usage among whites, but... nemmine that), but it does NOT account for the DISpropotionate arrest rate. And not only a disproportion in arrests, but in arrestees tried, in tried, convicted and in sentencing? no idiosyncrasy will answer there. cause and effect. we know the effect.

what is the cause?

i very much enjoyed your hypotheticals but you think they actually demonstrate anything? as pure hypotheticals demonstrating a nonvalue based anomaly, you should be able to switch black and white and get the same result. try it. lemme know what you get.

Do you see what I am getting at?

sure. i am not actually as stupid as i may seem. you were getting at showing that black people break into schools with the intent of doing greater harm than white people. I am not convinced.

geo.

Last edited:
that having been said... lets look at Big City again from a different perspective.

BC has 12 police divisions, each of varying geographical size. Div 2 has the largest poorest population in the second smallest geographical area. It also the highest crime rate AND the highest proportional crime rate. Div 6, which happens to be the richest and least dense is the smallest geographical size and has the lowest crime rate both, real and proportional. most crime committed in Div 6 is committed by people from outside Div 6.

police resources are allocated throughout the city according to geographical size with individual (Metro) units employed as 'rovers' to target moving high crime; Div 6 and Div 2 have roughly the same number of local cops for hugely disproportionate populations and crime rates. The rationale being that, though many would insist that taxpayers deserve public services proportional to the tax base (as has been the case at times), the more democratic city council insists on 'equal protection'.

A factor that seriously affects police behavior in both areas is that cops in both divisions attempt to deter crime by 'proactive' policing.

sit down a bit and think about what results that is likely to have. i realize that this is not an entirely realistic picture, but it is NOT far off for most large metropolitian areas.

geo.

no, I do not think I did.
Its obvious from your horrible "hypothetical" that has no basis in how law enforcement actually works that yes you did. Your hypothetical fails in that it assumes cops even take someone's race into consideration when looking for something outside of a BOLO description of a suspect in a specific crime that occurred.

sure. i am not actually as stupid as i may seem. you were getting at showing that black people break into schools with the intent of doing greater harm than white people. I am not convinced.

geo.
Seriously? Thats what I was showing?
Wrong. What I was showing is that it is possible that two people who have been charged with the same crime "on paper" are obviously going to recieve two different levels of punishment, which did not have anything to do with their race, but due to the circumstances surrounding what actually happened, and what sort of mitigating and aggravating factors were involved in the incident.
Now, I am not saying that black people are inherently evil and thus will always do more to aggravate the circumstances of their crime, however, since your "Statistics" do not take into account the aggravating and mitigating factors of every single case involved, you can't make a fair comparison just based off of
Crime + Race + Sentence(Punishment) = Racism

The above "formula" if you will is used, inaccurately, to ensure that we will always have a "racist" looking criminal justice system, "statistically" speaking.

Back
Top Bottom