• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ANOTHER HACK? Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee says it has been hacked

NonoBadDog

Hates Kittens
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
A new hack. This isn't the DNC hack.

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee says it has been hacked
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee says its computers have been hacked. It has been told by investigators that the breach resembles the recent hacking of the Democratic National Committee.
Meredith Kelly is spokeswoman for the committee, which is the political arm of House Democrats. She says the committee is using the forensic investigation firm Crowdstrike and is cooperating with federal law enforcement.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/29/democratic-congressional-campaign-committee-hack

I think I would fire crowdstrike.

And another one:
Clinton Foundation Said to Be Breached by Russian Hackers
Clinton Foundation Said to Be Breached by Russian Hackers - Bloomberg

This is amazing. Contrary to the practices of the Democratic Party, cyber security does matter. I would not be at all surprised to see those 33,000 emails that were deleted from Hillary's server published online.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/29/democratic-congressional-campaign-committee-hack

Odds are Crowdstrike was initially hired because of who they knew/who owed them a favor, not because they were particularly competent. So expect them to stay where they are and continue doing what they're doing. Which is good in a way, it's the only way we'll ever learn .... certain things.

More than anything though .... I want to see what they found! My guess is the previous batches didn't affect the conventions outcome, so they went in after something more convincing.

And another one:

This is amazing. Contrary to the practices of the Democratic Party, cyber security does matter. I would not be at all surprised to see those 33,000 emails that were deleted from Hillary's server published online.
Obviously, Trump gave the Ruskies their marching orders the other day! :lamo

And another one:

I guess we're going to find out now exactly how much donated money Billy uses to pay for his lap dances and chic getaways to exotic islands with young women.

Odds are Crowdstrike was initially hired because of who they knew/who owed them a favor, not because they were particularly competent. So expect them to stay where they are and continue doing what they're doing. Which is good in a way, it's the only way we'll ever learn .... certain things.

More than anything though .... I want to see what they found! My guess is the previous batches didn't affect the conventions outcome, so they went in after something more convincing.

I would think that the timing of the first WikiLeaks DNC emails was far too late to change anything significant in the convention's outcome.

Is it only now that now all the politicians, all the campaigns, all the political parties are all scrambling around with their hair on fire trying to make sure that they've got their security tightened up? Ha! They've already lost this round to the hackers.

I hope that everyone here realizes that proper security for information systems isn't something that is easy or to simple to do. It's not something where you can wave your magic wand and it's in place overnight. These things take a number of months to put into place, and to vet that they are in fact block the hacking attempts, and are in fact allow through the traffic that you need to conduct business your business.

Given that the initial hack has now spread to a number of other servers and entities, I don't think this hacking attack is going to be over soon, unless of course the hackers themselves decide to stop. It's not going to be the emergency security measures that everyone is taking now that are going to stop the hackers.

In a way you should be glad that it's only political targets at this point. It could nearly as easily be the power grid, the gas and oil pipeline control systems, the FAA traffic control systems, or the control systems that manage the water levels behind the various dams in the country. Think about that for a moment.

I would think that the timing of the first WikiLeaks DNC emails was far too late to change anything significant in the convention's outcome.

Is it only now that now all the politicians, all the campaigns, all the political parties are all scrambling around with their hair on fire trying to make sure that they've got their security tightened up? Ha! They've already lost this round to the hackers.

I hope that everyone here realizes that proper security for information systems isn't something that is easy or to simple to do. It's not something where you can wave your magic wand and it's in place overnight. These things take a number of months to put into place, and to vet that they are in fact block the hacking attempts, and are in fact allow through the traffic that you need to conduct business your business.

Given that the initial hack has now spread to a number of other servers and entities, I don't think this hacking attack is going to be over soon, unless of course the hackers themselves decide to stop. It's not going to be the emergency security measures that everyone is taking now that are going to stop the hackers.

In a way you should be glad that it's only political targets at this point. It could nearly as easily be the power grid, the gas and oil pipeline control systems, the FAA traffic control systems, or the control systems that manage the water levels behind the various dams in the country. Think about that for a moment.

Exactly right. Our company just spent millions and many months installing the newest and most secure, security practices. Lots of training, and implementation but we are now probably one of the more secure companies internally and externally. Can't be done overnight, simply cannot be done. :)

Tim-

Why would you fire Crowdstrike? They're investigating the hack, not providing network security for the DCC.

EDIT: I stand corrected per this article for the WashingtonPost.com. Crowdstrike is providing network security to the DCC and the DNC. Doesn't appear they're doing a very good job since this is likely the 3rd hit from Russia on servers belonging to the Democrat Party.

Last edited:

Wouldn't it be something if they DID find those missing Emails during this hack?

But then, I wouldn't put it past the DNC to hack their own server and blame it on the russians so it looks like the russians are doing what Trump said, to legitimize the Trump-Putin ticket narrative. That's not even a little far fetched for this election cycle, or (apparently) for the DNC in general.

I guess we're going to find out now exactly how much donated money Billy uses to pay for his lap dances and chic getaways to exotic islands with young women.
You wouldn't be implying human trafficking, now would you?

Crowdstrike is doing after-action forensics. They weren't likely the ones doing daily security monitoring.

Edit: Whoops. Crowdstrike is to blame. Yeah, you shouldn't put the job of forensics on the company who let you get hacked.

Last edited:

Wouldn't it be funny if the DNC was so broken that such data was actually housed on that server?

I think those orders were, "Ben over for a big Russian pickle."

Since it's Democrat, they may be using private servers. They should check that out. :lol:

They were using private servers as the DCCC and the Clinton Foundation aren't govt entities.

Guess they must have heard Trump ask them to do it.

In a meeting with senior officials at the campaign’s Brooklyn headquarters, FBI agents laid out concerns that cyberhackers had used so-called spear-phishing emails as part of an attempt to penetrate the campaign’s computers, the sources said. One of the sources said agents conducting a national security investigation asked the Clinton campaign to turn over internal computer logs as well as the personal email addresses of senior campaign officials. But the campaign, through its lawyers, declined to provide the data, deciding that the FBI’s request for sensitive personal and campaign information data was too broad and intrusive, the source said.

A second source who had been briefed on the matter and who confirmed the Brooklyn meeting said agents provided no specific information to the campaign about the identity of the cyberhackers or whether they were associated with a foreign government.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-hillary-clinton-cyber-attack-000000269.html

Denial is ingrained I guess. The refused FBI help when this was all happening. Guess why?

The source said the campaign was already aware of attempts to penetrate its computers and had taken steps to thwart them, emphasizing that there is still no evidence that the campaign’s computers had actually been successfully penetrated.

Where have we heard that one before? The were wrong I guess. Hindsight is 20/20.

BS story! Bogus post!

We all know that the democrats are far too educated, and world wise to be taken like this for a second time.................:roll:

Russia got the blame for the last one.

Let's see where this one goes.

No wonder the Democrats are so touchy about emails. Now we know why.

Guess they must have heard Trump ask them to do it.

Nah, I think spying on the US has occurred to the Russians once or twice before.

It's not only a Democrat thing. Just sayin'.

The DNC, DCCC, Clinton Foundation and the Clinton Campaign have all been hacked. Kinda looks like the Democrats have a problem.

Wouldn't it be something if they DID find those missing Emails during this hack?

But then, I wouldn't put it past the DNC to hack their own server and blame it on the russians so it looks like the russians are doing what Trump said, to legitimize the Trump-Putin ticket narrative. That's not even a little far fetched for this election cycle, or (apparently) for the DNC in general.
Once the Ruskies are involved, it would seem easy enough to claim plausible deniability or dismissability of sorts in the political arena. I can't even imagine the spin that would come out of this.

And as to legal chain of custody for evidence in a court of law, I suspect it's hopeless.

Another one. NOW THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN:

Exclusive: Clinton campaign also hacked in attacks on Democrats - sources | Reuters
The computer network used by Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign was hacked as part of a broad cyber attack on Democratic political organizations, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.
The latest attack, which was disclosed to Reuters on Friday, follows reports of two other hacks on the Democratic National Committee and the party’s fundraising committee for candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives.

So far the servers for the DNC, DCCC, Clinton Foundation and now the Clinton Campaign have been hacked. Who was it that said there was no chance Hillary's private server didn't get hacked?

Back
Top Bottom