• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another GOP Candidate Changes His Stance on Abortion

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
These guys must think we are complete imbeciles, that we can't remember what they said yesterday. Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Joe Lombardo, sheriff of Clark County, has done a complete 180 degree reversal from his position on Nevada's abortion law.

Clark County Sheriff and Republican gubernatorial hopeful Joe Lombardo has changed his stance on whether to repeal an executive order protecting women from being prosecuted for seeking an abortion in Nevada, with less than two months to go until the Nov. 8 election.
He published a note on his campaign website Wednesday that outlined where he stands on abortion and what sort of actions he would take as governor. At least one of those stances is different from what he said just a couple of weeks ago.
Previously, Lombardo said he would look to repeal Gov. Steve Sisolak’s executive order that protects out-of-state patients seeking reproductive health care in Nevada, which Sisolak signed in June after Roe v. Wade was overturned.

Now, Lombardo says

"Because there are efforts in other states that could impact Nevadans, I have made a commitment not to repeal that executive order until the Legislature can make clear that Nevada is not going to prosecute women who seek an abortion or medical providers that perform legal abortions."

Less than two weeks ago, he told a Review-Journal reporter that he would consider repealing Sisolak’s executive order, calling it “political theater.”
Republican candidates see the abortion issue as a total loser for them, so now they think they can simply get away by lying about their true positions.

These guys must think we are complete imbeciles, that we can't remember what they said yesterday. Nevada GOP gubernatorial candidate Joe Lombardo, sheriff of Clark County, has done a complete 180 degree reversal from his position on Nevada's abortion law.

Now, Lombardo says

Less than two weeks ago, he told a Review-Journal reporter that he would consider repealing Sisolak’s executive order, calling it “political theater.”
Republican candidates see the abortion issue as a total loser for them, so now they think they can simply get away by lying about their true positions.

Kinda like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton saying that marriage was between a man and a woman?

Yeah, no vote hunting there when they flipped on the issue ..................................right? :rolleyes:

So, the answer to your question is yes.................................Democrats rely on their imbecile base also.

Kinda like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton saying that marriage was between a man and a woman?

Yeah, no vote hunting there when they flipped on the issue ..................................right? :rolleyes:

So, the answer to your question is yes.................................Democrats can be imbeciles too.
Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the changing of a subject to deflect away from an earlier subject as a political strategy; it’s essentially a reversal of accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing, however unconnected the offenses may be.

The tactic behind whataboutism has been around for a long time. Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means "you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Whataboutism is an argumentative tactic where a person or group responds to an accusation or difficult question by deflection. Instead of addressing the point made, they counter it with “but what about X?”.

images.jpg

Now, Lombardo says

Is this not normal operating procedure for them? They had to go so far right because of trumpism and now they are paying the price for following him on the crazy train. Now they want us to believe they aren't the crazies they were when campaigning. That might be ok for people who will vote party no matter what but for the rest of us it's no longer acceptable behavior.

Now, Lombardo says

So you don't want Republicans to moderate their positions?

No. Not at all like that. When the theocratic Supreme Court attempted to outlaw abortion, it had been the law for nearly 5 decades, and 2/3rds of the country was still very much in favor of it.

Conversely, same sex marriage has just been emerging on the scene over the past 25 years, and people's feelings about it - as in the entire population - has been drifting in the direction of that fundamental human rights issue more and more over the past two decades. It makes perfect sense for people like Obama and Clinton to change their minds about it. Everyone else has.
Yeah, no vote hunting there when they flipped on the issue ..................................right?
Right !! No vote hunting. A perfectly understandable and reasonable change of heart on the subject - just as it has been across most of the population!
So, the answer to your question is yes.................................Democrats rely on their imbecile base also.
So NO ...................... your contention is bullshit.

Just admiring how quickly their bedrock principles turn to Play-Dough.
You consider prosecuting women for abortion to be a bedrock principle? Got any support for that nonsense?

No. Not at all like that. When the theocratic Supreme Court attempted to outlaw abortion, it had been the law for nearly 5 decades, and 2/3rds of the country was still very much in favor of it.

Conversely, same sex marriage has just been emerging on the scene over the past 25 years, and people's feelings about it - as in the entire population - has been drifting in the direction of that fundamental human rights issue more and more over the past two decades. It makes perfect sense for people like Obama and Clinton to change their minds about it. Everyone else has.

Right !! No vote hunting. A perfectly understandable and reasonable change of heart on the subject - just as it has been across most of the population!

So NO ...................... your contention is bullshit.

They flipped for votes and you know it.....and your premise is bullshit.

Why wouldn’t these politicians pull a volte-face?

Voters tend to be malleable and fickle….

You consider prosecuting women for abortion to be a bedrock principle? Got any support for that nonsense?

It was for that guy. Until it wasn't.

It was for that guy. Until it wasn't.
My fault for not seeing that coming. Not sure why I continue to give you the opportunity to show some posting integrity.

My fault for not seeing that coming. Not sure why I even give you the opportunity to show some posting integrity.

I commented on a trend, specifically with this guy.

You seemed to think I meant that his extreme beliefs were mainstream, which I never even implied.

I didn't play your game, and now you're all butthurt over it. Sack up.

I commented on a trend, specifically with this guy.

You seemed to think I meant that his extreme beliefs were mainstream, which I never even implied.

I didn't play your game, and now you're all butthurt over it. Sack up.
Have a nice day

So you don't want Republicans to moderate their positions?
I would love it, but it's not sincere. The SC justices weren't sincere, nor has the MAGA GOP been sincere.

What I have seen is lying. So, with that in mind, no, I don't believe they'll stick to that in office. You know how politicians are, promises are a dime a dozen, and keeping them is as rare as a dinosaur.

I'm bipartisan on this one, so no need for whataboutisms.

Both parties kept their promises on Roe until MAGA entered the scene. I don't trust them to save their own mothers' lives. They lie like it's water.

Except that Obama didn't try to undo the Hodges decision, nor was he ever planning to.

There is no doubt that Clinton and Obama and any other Democrat were simply hunting for votes if they ever said that they believed marriage was between a man and a woman. But Republicans are actively misrepresenting their positions to voters in order to trick them into voting against their own interests. Both Pence and Graham have flat out stated that a nation-wide abortion ban is on the table if Republicans take control.

Complete lie.

Democrats have flipped to earn votes and that was the OP's point.
Two wrongs don't make a right unless it's a MAGA. lol Plenty of wrongs equal up to MAGAs. A different breed of politician.

Back
Top Bottom