• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Another fine example of local government in Louisiana

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Amid Katrina Chaos, Congressman Used National Guard to Visit Home
Two Heavy Trucks, Helicopter Were Involved in Lawmaker's Trip at Height of Crisis

Amid the chaos and confusion that engulfed New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina struck, a local congressman used National Guard troops to check on his property and rescue his personal belongings — even while New Orleans residents were trying to get rescued from rooftops, ABC News has learned.

On Friday, Sept. 2 — five days after Katrina hit the Gulf Coast — Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who represents New Orleans and is a senior member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, was allowed through the military blockades set up around the city to reach the Superdome, where thousands of evacuees had been taken....

....The water reached to the third step of Jefferson's house, a military source familiar with the incident told ABC News, and the vehicle pulled up onto Jefferson's front lawn so he wouldn't have to walk in the water. Jefferson went into the house alone, the source says, while the soldiers waited on the porch for about an hour.

Finally, according to the source, Jefferson emerged with a laptop computer, three suitcases, and a box about the size of a small refrigerator, which the enlisted men loaded up into the truck.

Two weeks later, the vehicle's tire tracks were still visible on the lawn.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1123495&page=1

Last edited:
Assuming this is true:

When cons do this kind of shi*t, their own party runs them out. Livingston, (adultery) that Gov. (Pa. was it(?), for coming out and the rest). When libs do it, Clinton, (adultery), Jesse, oh, where to start?, you libs make excuses. Let's hear it.

What the hell, walk the walk.

I expect no logical reply.

teacher said:
Assuming this is true:

When cons do this kind of shi*t, their own party runs them out. Livingston, (adultery) that Gov. (Pa. was it(?), for coming out and the rest). When libs do it, Clinton, (adultery), Jesse, oh, where to start?, you libs make excuses. Let's hear it.

They're too busy having a tinfoil-hat circle-jerk over in the "Bush is a War Criminal" thread...

I just read this and it is outrageous. What you left out is that the first truck got stuck. The Guard had to call in a helcopter which then lowered a rescue diver to lift Jefferson out. He refused and the diver was brought back up to the helicopter. The Guard told them to lower it again and told Jefferson he needed to be flown out. The diver was lower again and again Jefferson refused to be lifted and refused to leave his stuff (including his laptop and papers). Finally the helicopter (which had 4 other victems in it already) left and ANOTHER TRUCK had to be sent out.

Recall Jefferson is under investigation and his house has already been searched and papers taken by the investigators.

All from the same story.

teacher said:
Assuming this is true:

TOM DELAY, TOM DELAY, TOM DELAY!!!

The man is easily the most corrupt man in washinton since Johnson, in fact, he may well even be more corrupt that Johnson and he is your Majority Leader. In fact, the Republicans have went so far as to rewrite ethics rules to keep him in power. I guess though that if he were a closet gay instead of just a crook, you would have gotten rid of him.

Moreover, Bush pulled firefights off of duty for a stupid photo opp. Where is the outrage there?

Stinger said:
I just read this and it is outrageous. What you left out is that the first truck got stuck. The Guard had to call in a helcopter which then lowered a rescue diver to lift Jefferson out. He refused and the diver was brought back up to the helicopter. The Guard told them to lower it again and told Jefferson he needed to be flown out. The diver was lower again and again Jefferson refused to be lifted and refused to leave his stuff (including his laptop and papers). Finally the helicopter (which had 4 other victems in it already) left and ANOTHER TRUCK had to be sent out.

Recall Jefferson is under investigation and his house has already been searched and papers taken by the investigators.

All from the same story.

I didn't leave anything out....

as per forum rules...

8. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work. Please do not post entire articles. Proper format is to paraphrase the contents of an article and/or post relevant excerpts and then link to the rest. Best bet is to always reference the original source. Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

I wonder what was on that laptop that was so important to enlist the help of the U.S. Military to get access to it, then get it out.

Sounds like a needless risk to the troops....hmmm?

cnredd said:
I didn't leave anything out....

as per forum rules...

8. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work. Please do not post entire articles. Proper format is to paraphrase the contents of an article and/or post relevant excerpts and then link to the rest. Best bet is to always reference the original source. Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

Sigh, left out of what you posted non-the-less. Now that it is mentioned the total outrageousness is for everyone to see.

Back
Top Bottom