• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Day, Another Trump Dog Whistle

So, the idiot Right denies slavery now. Good to know.

So, you want the Left to decide what is historical fact. No one denies slavery happened.

Please tell me how the 1619 Project lesson plans are more accurate and better than what is being used now?
Were you not taught about slavery in school?

Who are you including in this 'we'?

The US and it's people are the least racist on the planet, and comes the closest to providing equal opportunities (not equal outcomes) for all.

This depends on time frame being considered. In previous decades and centuries there was far more racism than there is today, what little racism remains certainly isn't of the 'systemic' variety which is constantly being claimed.

The criticisms of the 1619 project are with the historical facts that it's presenting. While that's fine for someone's book or published articles or op-ed page, it doesn't raise to the bar needed to be used as educational material, it is wholly unsuitable for this use.

EDIT:

If it's not history, why base history education on it?

Yes, have been quite significant, and recognized as such. Look at the long and celebrated history of black educators or example. I don't know what you believe to be 'traditional knowledge is that all our advances are because of our white ancestors.' I recall junior high and high school US history classes where those black educators and their contributions, as well as many others, were discussed.

Again, I don't know which junior high or high school history classes you attended. Jazz, for examples, is a direct outgrowth of black music, which continues to evolve as well as evolving into other music forms.

Except they are not being ignored.

I see I was mistaken. We are a post-racial nation, the poster child for equal opportunity and inclusiveness; the least racist among all countries. Thank you for putting me straight. BLM thanks you also.

you missed the point

American slavery was founded in 1619

such lack of historical knowledge is exactly why 1619 is so important to be taught in our schools

think of it as the underbelly of American exceptionalism

The European slave trade made it's way to North America, in 1619. There were no Americans in North America in 1619. The United States wasn't founded until 1776. The 1619 article says different.

The European slave trade made it's way to North America, in 1619. There were no Americans in North America in 1619. The United States wasn't founded until 1776. The 1619 article says different.

No one said the United States existed in 1619, but no one with a brain pretends that the people here in 1619 did not lead to the United States.

Well, come to think of it. That does explain your post.

No one said the United States existed in 1619, but no one with a brain pretends that the people here in 1619 did not lead to the United States.

Well, come to think of it. That does explain your post.

That's exactly what the 1619 article says. You haven't read it! Someone told you to agree with it and you did! :lamo

Slavery existed in England and her colonies prior to 1619. Funny how you want to ignore that. Why?

That's exactly what the 1619 article says. You haven't read it! Someone told you to agree with it and you did! :lamo

Slavery existed in England and her colonies prior to 1619. Funny how you want to ignore that. Why?

Who is ignoring it and why is that factoid dragged into the discussion?

Prove it or admit you lied, again.

Who is ignoring it and why is that factoid dragged into the discussion?

The fact that you admit it was brought into the discussion proves it's being ignored.

This is what's going on behind the scenes to drive articles like this...

you missed the point

such lack of historical knowledge is exactly why 1619 is so important to be taught in our schools

Was it? Because, as pointed out by numerous historians, it wasn’t.

So, now slavery in an American colony is not American slavery. Is that the nonsense you all are going to try selling? :roll:

So, now slavery in an American colony is not American slavery. Is that the nonsense you all are going to try selling? :roll:

Well, considering that “America” as in the United States Of did not exist in 1619 then it is a rather bizarre claim, but no. I’m pointing out the fact that the first black slaves brought to what would one day be the United States were brought here LONG before 1619. So why that date? Or why not the date chattel slavery was actually established for the first time as a legally permissible institution in the English colonies in the Casor case in 1655? Guess we can’t be having black villains kicking off a narrative about ye olde white devil can we?

Last edited:
Well, considering that “America” as in the United States Of did not exist in 1619 then it is a rather bizarre claim, but no. I’m pointing out the fact that the first black slaves brought to what would one day be the United States were brought here LONG before 1619. So why that date? Or why not the date chattel slavery was actually established for the first time as a legally permissible institution in the English colonies in the Casor case in 1655? Guess we can’t be having black villains kicking off a narrative about ye olde white devil can we?
It's used because Jamestown was the first "American" colony.

The Jamestown settlement in the Colony of Virginia was the first permanent English settlement in the Americas. It was located on the northeast bank of the James (Powhatan) River about 2.5 mi (4 km) southwest of the center of modern Williamsburg.[1] It was established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" on May 4, 1607 O.S. (May 14, 1607 N.S.),[2] and was considered permanent after a brief abandonment in 1610. It followed several failed attempts, including the Lost Colony of Roanoke, established in 1585 on Roanoke Island. Jamestown served as the colonial capital from 1616 until 1699.

i will again invite you to share with us what is wrong about the 1619 presentation/project

Good, you saved me the trouble of reading it since my point was made on the cover sheet.

No go peddle that racism in one of hater threads. Maybe you'll get a few likes from that crew.

Great job missing the context. :lamo

At least you admitted it was a British colony.

Great job missing the context. :lamo

At least you admitted it was a British colony.

Yes, the US was founded after the British Colonies revolted. :roll:

you missed the point

Slavery existed in the colonies before 1619. Why do you ignore that?

You haven't read it. Someone told you to agree with it and you sheepishly did as you were told.

I know US history. It began with colonies, the first was in Jamestown.

I know US history. It began with colonies, the first was in Jamestown.

Obviously you don't know history, at all. :lamo

Hell, you can't even stick to the same argument.

Obviously you don't know history, at all. :lamo

Hell, you can't even stick to the same argument.

That the US used to be a British Colony is not an argument. It's a verifiable fact.

Back
Top Bottom