• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Another darn wiretapping thread

Ok, I did my research now on my local police force on the averge time to get a warrent and the averge came up as 30sec. to 5 min...day or night in south carolina and 60sec in New York New York.....so why in the hell dose it take 72 hour for our government to get a warrent to tap our phone line when it take 5 min to get the local police to get a warrent....when the government have more power then the police man and woman???????????????

I got my info from fellow cop for new york and south carolina...

Loxd4 said:
Ok, I did my research now on my local police force on the averge time to get a warrent and the averge came up as 30sec. to 5 min...day or night in south carolina and 60sec in New York New York.....so why in the hell dose it take 72 hour for our government to get a warrent to tap our phone line when it take 5 min to get the local police to get a warrent....when the government have more power then the police man and woman???????????????

I got my info from fellow cop for new york and south carolina...
Kidding right?...For the love of logic tell me you're kidding...

Some people can ride their bike to work in 5 minutes, so why can't everybody?...:roll:

I don't have the inclination to go over the spiel for the umpteenth time, so I'll just throw out the Attorney General's assessment followed by oldreliable's full text that answers your original question...From Posts #1 & #2 from this thread...

Atty. Gen. Gonzales said:
Thus, to initiate surveillance under a FISA emergency authorization, it is not enough to rely on the best judgment of our intelligence officers alone. Those intelligence officers would have to get the sign-off of lawyers at the NSA that all provisions of FISA have been satisfied, then lawyers in the Department of Justice would have to be similarly satisfied, and finally as Attorney General, I would have to be satisfied that the search meets the requirements of FISA. And we would have to be prepared to follow up with a full FISA application within the 72 hours.

A typical FISA application involves a substantial process in its own right: The work of several lawyers; the preparation of a legal brief and supporting declarations; the approval of a Cabinet-level officer; a certification from the National Security Adviser, the Director of the FBI, or another designated Senate-confirmed officer; and, finally, of course, the approval of an Article III judge.

oldreliable67 said:
No. As has been detailed by the AG and recounted on some of the other related threads on this topic, it takes quite a while to get a warrant. The request process has to go thru several chains of command and requires several lawyers and winds up with the AG certification the request. Can take not hours, but days. This certification process is also detailed in the various executive orders.

Importantly, (as also detailed on the other threads) much the same process is required for the 72-hour 'emergency' provision of FISA. That is, NSA can not just mount an op, then go and do the paperwork. Before an op can be mounted - even under the emergency 72-hour provision - certain paperwork must be completed, again culminating with a certification by the AG. Only then can an op be mounted.

cnredd said:
Kidding right?...For the love of logic tell me you're kidding...

Some people can ride their bike to work in 5 minutes, so why can't everybody?...:roll:

I don't have the inclination to go over the spiel for the umpteenth time, so I'll just throw out the Attorney General's assessment followed by oldreliable's full text that answers your original question...From Posts #1 & #2 from this thread...

Ok, so the police man has his bike that can get him to work in 5 minutes, but the government has a sports car that can get him to work in 1 minute but the governemtn dosen't want to go to work because it takes to long.

So just becuase it take to long th government would rather bypass all the traffic and get to work by a plane and illegile also(in this world)....when the goverment say it take 72 hours to get a warrent but it only take the bike 5 mins......why dose it take the government longer to get a warrent when it only take the police 5 minutes to get there and also using the checks and balance the police also did?

Loxd4 said:
Ok, so the police man has his bike that can get him to work in 5 minutes, but the government has a sports car that can get him to work in 1 minute but the governemtn dosen't want to go to work because it takes to long.

So just becuase it take to long th government would rather bypass all the traffic and get to work by a plane and illegile also(in this world)....when the goverment say it take 72 hours to get a warrent but it only take the bike 5 mins......why dose it take the government longer to get a warrent when it only take the police 5 minutes to get there and also using the checks and balance the police also did?
You can answer your own question...

When you go back to your sources, ask them how many lawyers and supervisors they have to go through during that 30 second-to-5 minute timeframe...Who types up the paperwork?...

You don't have 30 second "checks and balances"...You can't tell me otherwise...

Who do they go to?...ONE supervisor?...If that's indeed your answer, then you, of all people, wouldn't have a problem with the President going to JUST the Attorney General of the United States....

cnredd said:
Who do they go to?...ONE supervisor?...If that's indeed your answer, then you, of all people, wouldn't have a problem with the President going to JUST the Attorney General of the United States....

Bingo! :agree

Back
Top Bottom