• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Conservative Pundit Gets Another Issue Completely Wrong [W:28]

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Drumming up the conservative fixation on drug abuse, the dubious and apocalyptic Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer predicted in the 80s that "crack babies" would be condemned to "a life of certain suffering, of probable deviance, of permanent inferiority."

A little over 20 years later, Krauthammer's predictions have proven almost embarrassingly inaccurate. Last week, the findings of a 24-year-long study of crack babies revealed that parental use of the drug had little or no direct effect on the children. In the process of investigating the babies, however, researchers discovered another environmental problem that did, in fact, lead to problems with depression, anxiety, cognitive functioning, and a host of other issues: poverty.

This is typical of the conservative media's attempt to deflect attention from the real fundamental issue the US faces -- income inequality -- to secondary issues like drug use.

Get all the rightwing media deflection here.

Crack Babies Grew Up OK; It's Poverty That's the Real Problem - DailyFinance

Why does anybody listen to conservative pundits at all?

Re: Another Conservative Pundit Gets Another Issue Completely Wrong

Apparently it does however cause children to grow up and cast political aspersions against someone who wrote an article [based on the views of many experts in the field] 20 years ago.

Yep, crack screws you up.

Drumming up the conservative fixation on drug abuse, the dubious and apocalyptic Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer predicted in the 80s that "crack babies" would be condemned to "a life of certain suffering, of probable deviance, of permanent inferiority."

A little over 20 years later, Krauthammer's predictions have proven almost embarrassingly inaccurate. Last week, the findings of a 24-year-long study of crack babies revealed that parental use of the drug had little or no direct effect on the children. In the process of investigating the babies, however, researchers discovered another environmental problem that did, in fact, lead to problems with depression, anxiety, cognitive functioning, and a host of other issues:

This is typical of the conservative media's attempt to deflect attention from the real fundamental issue the US faces -- income inequality -- to secondary issues like drug use.

Most people on the right have little interest in doing anything to help the many victims of poverty in the USA.

"Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor. It's the other way around. They never vote for us." ~ Dan Quayle

Most people on the right have little interest in doing anything to help the many victims of poverty in the USA.

"Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor. It's the other way around. They never vote for us." ~ Dan Quayle

Isn't that the excessive use of a broad brush? That could be considered *baiting*

Isn't that the excessive use of a broad brush? That could be considered *baiting*

Try to stay on topic and not look so foolish. I understand it's hard to defend Krauthammer's lack of factuality and partisan ickiness, but either do that, or concede.

Really? What I hear is that the right wants everyone to have a great and equal opportunity. What I hear form the left is a life of dependency so vote for the hand that feeds it.

Really? What I hear is that the right wants everyone to have a great and equal opportunity. What I hear form the left is a life of dependency so vote for the hand that feeds it.

Well then, maybe Krauthammer should focus on that topic and not false rightwing diversions about crack babies that have been proved nonsense.

But wait, conservatives don't really want to end poverty -- it's the basis of cheap labor that keeps the rich rich.

Oh well, I guess it's back to the drawing board since crack doesn't provide an explanation for tea party-itis

Oh well, I guess it's back to the drawing board since crack doesn't provide an explanation for tea party-itis

It's possible it explains a lot of tea partiers and their cognitive flaws, but beyond that, Krauthammer is wrong again.

Can't the rightwing pundits get one fact correct? It's almost as if they are just trying to distract us from the real issues we face, such as poverty.

Or it could be considered an appropriate comment. Depends on who's passing judgement.
My point exactly. Seems some have guardian angels.

My point exactly. Seems some have guardian angels.

Try to focus on the subject. If you can't, just say so and give up. Again.

that's the closest thing to an argument you'll get from him...

It's possible it explains a lot of tea partiers and their cognitive flaws, but beyond that, Krauthammer is wrong again.

Can't the rightwing pundits get one fact correct? It's almost as if they are just trying to distract us from the real issues we face, such as poverty.

To be clear, are you now advocating that it is recommended that pregnant women smoke crack or that there is no medical reason not to smoke crack if you're pregnant?

Could it also be possible that if Mommy Dearest wasn't spending every last penny she earned in whatever nefarious way on crack, she might not be raising her little one in poverty?

To be clear, are you now advocating that it is recommended that pregnant women smoke crack or that there is no medical reason not to smoke crack if you're pregnant?

Could it also be possible that if Mommy Dearest wasn't spending every last penny she earned in whatever nefarious way on crack, she might not be raising her little one in poverty?

To be clear, I'm pointing out how the rightwing media uses false issues to distract from real ones, especially poverty. Hence the subforum.

But I suspected you try to contort the obvious issue. Conservatives don't want to deal with the poverty their failed policies cause. They can't.

But it's fun to see you defend Krauthammer's lies and fabrications. What else can you do?

Try to stay on topic and not look so foolish. I understand it's hard to defend Krauthammer's lack of factuality and partisan ickiness, but either do that, or concede.

I'm not defending anyone.

This is a flame baiting troll thread and should be treated as such.

Why not just discuss the merits of the study on crack babies?

A little over 20 years later, Krauthammer's predictions have proven almost embarrassingly inaccurate. Last week, the findings of a 24-year-long study of crack babies revealed that parental use of the drug had little or no direct effect on the children. In the process of investigating the babies, however, researchers discovered another environmental problem that did, in fact, lead to problems with depression, anxiety, cognitive functioning, and a host of other issues: poverty.

Has it occurred to you that just maybe it's the crack use that leads to poverty instead of Republican policies?

why is the OP harping on something a conservative pundit said 20+ years ago?

I'm not defending anyone.

This is a flame baiting troll thread and should be treated as such.

Why not just discuss the merits of the study on crack babies?

Look at the subforum and report back in.

Meanwhile stop moderating. You're bad at it.

why is the OP harping on something a conservative pundit said 20+ years ago?

Because it was false, and a distraction, like all rightwing media claims. Read the article and it will all become clear to you.

To be clear, I'm pointing out how the rightwing media uses false issues to distract from real ones, especially poverty. Hence the subforum.

But I suspected you try to contort the obvious issue. Conservatives don't want to deal with the poverty their failed policies cause. They can't.

But it's fun to see you defend Krauthammer's lies and fabrications. What else can you do?

I'm not trying to defend anyone - I'm trying to do the virtually impossible, that being trying to discover what the point is that you're trying to make. Or is it just the usual cave man "conservative bad, ugg"?

Back
Top Bottom