• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Conservative Pundit Gets Another Issue Completely Wrong [W:28]

A little over 20 years later, Krauthammer's predictions have proven almost embarrassingly inaccurate. Last week, the findings of a 24-year-long study of crack babies revealed that parental use of the drug had little or no direct effect on the children. In the process of investigating the babies, however, researchers discovered another environmental problem that did, in fact, lead to problems with depression, anxiety, cognitive functioning, and a host of other issues: poverty.

Umm, it's hard for me to believe that people can't see the correlation between poverty and drug use, and that it's not just the poverty, but the entire culture which is in play here. We don't tend to see crack cocaine use in middle and upper income settings, so it's probably a chicken-and-egg situation. Does the poverty cause drug use, or does drug use cause poverty, or is there a cultural relationship? I'd say probably the latter.

The areas where children showed significant negative impact from cocaine -- sustained attention and in self-regulating behavior -- could lead to serious problems for children in adolescence or adulthood. "They might have difficulty with impulse control and they might be risk-takers," says Dr. Black. "They might be more likely to be involved with drugs themselves." Innovative techniques, including neuroimaging, have suggested that cocaine exposure impacts specific brain structures and functions. The cocaine-exposed children seem to have differences in both white and gray matter, for example.
Prenatal cocaine exposure not severely damaging to growth, learning, study suggests

I'd say that the effects of crack on babies is significant enough to be of concern.

Re: Another Conservative Pundit Gets Another Issue Completely Wrong

Then stop trying to derail the thread and go away.

The issue is how the rightwing media constantly spreads falsehoods in order to detract attention from real issues like poverty. Krauthammer's stupid claims are a case in point. The study crystalizes that since not only are crack babies not significantly disabled, but poverty is in fact a key indicator of preventing success. Poverty babies, not crack babies.

you really don't see anything wrong with your argument do you?

krauthammer did not have a study to refer to when he made his claim... like everyone else , he was talking out his ass 20 years ago about crack babies.
you are using a study 20 years into the future to castigate the guy for being wrong...

somehow, with your patented lack of logic, you came to the conclusion that all right wing pundits are always wrong about everything

I'm not in poverty, but if I spent all my money on the next hit, I'd be in poverty.

So don't do it. Save that cash for some cheeseburgers with some poutine on the side.

So don't do it. Save that cash for some cheeseburgers with some poutine on the side.

Poutine is only of use if you're bulimic and need assistance regurgitating.

Last edited:

I see that 20 years later, the right wing is still wrong about crack

FYI - it's pretty cheap

Yep it was made that way by the CIA and Charles Krauthammer to destroy the Black community. 8)

Yep it was made that way by the CIA and Charles Krauthammer to destroy the Black community. 8)

TBF, I admit that you (and Krauthammer) are consistent about crack

Unless they started giving the stuff away then yes, I am.:d
oh

What do you think that some poor young ladies in the ghetto do when they are in bad need of some crack and they don't have any cash? Take a guess.

Here's a hint: They don't get a job at McDonald's.

What do you think that some poor young ladies in the ghetto do when they are in bad need of some crack and they don't have any cash? Take a guess.

They work for it....if you want to call that stuff work. At any rate, it isn't being given away.

TBF, I admit that you (and Krauthammer) are consistent about crack

I believe we can all agree that crack/cocaine is bad no matter who consumes it or their condition at the time.

It's been beautiful here the past couple of weeks, cooler and no humidity, but a little rainy some days, and to keep on topic, it's
perfect weather for strolling the alleys scoring my next hit.

How's the crack business doing there, everything okey-dokey?

How's the crack business doing there, everything okey-dokey?

Pretty good, thanks - I'm really glad this study came out so that the government can now stop providing services and supports for crack addicts and their children because we now know it's of little consequence.

WCH;1062130062[QUOTE said:
]I believe we can all agree that crack/cocaine is bad no matter who consumes it or their condition at the time
.[/QUOTE]

It's very bad. It'll make a good situation bad, and a bad situation worse.

Umm, it's hard for me to believe that people can't see the correlation between poverty and drug use, and that it's not just the poverty, but the entire culture which is in play here. We don't tend to see crack cocaine use in middle and upper income settings, so it's probably a chicken-and-egg situation. Does the poverty cause drug use, or does drug use cause poverty, or is there a cultural relationship? I'd say probably the latter.

Prenatal cocaine exposure not severely damaging to growth, learning, study suggests

I'd say that the effects of crack on babies is significant enough to be of concern.

All true.

And anyone who followed the career of Whitney Houston would know that poverty isn't necessary to become addicted to crack but addiction to crack can lead to the destruction of a career and a life and a spiralling into poverty.

Pretty good, thanks -
I'm really glad this study came out so that the government can now stop providing services and supports for crack addicts and their children because we now know it's of little consequenc
e.

That should save a good bit of cash, eh?

Pretty good, thanks - I'm really glad this study came out so that the government can now stop providing services and supports for crack addicts and their children because we now know it's of little consequence.

Better yet, we can focus on what really harms kids -- poverty. But that doesn't fit into your conservative narrative, does it?

So the lesson here is -- To help avoid poverty, stay off that crack!

All true.

And anyone who followed the career of Whitney Houston would know that poverty isn't necessary to become addicted to crack but addiction to crack can lead to the destruction of a career and a life and a spiralling into poverty.

Hey kids, an anecdote (and a famous one). Anecdote -- the mother's milk of conservative logical fallacies.

Kids really don't have a choice what their parents do, so the real lesson is dealing with poverty since it harms kids.

If you want to believe that poverty is solely caused by crack, you and Krauthammer should write a column together. You can join his weird counterfactuality.

Better yet, we can focus on what really harms kids -- poverty. But that doesn't fit into your conservative narrative, does it?

Instead of your constant snipe about "conservative" this or "tea party" that, why don't you tell us what leads a woman to become addicted to crack and have a baby and 20 to 30 years later still be in poverty. Are you now admitting that the past 30 plus years of liberal social engineering and the provision of trillions in supports and services for those in poverty have been an abyssmal failure and new ideas are needed?

I'd like to hear your new ideas for how to make things better - got any?

Hey kids, an anecdote (and a famous one). Anecdote -- the mother's milk of conservative logical fallacies.

At least mine was relevant - your anecdote (and a famous one) citing Charles Krauthammer's observations from the 80s isn't even contemporary.

Kids really don't have a choice what their parents do, so the real lesson is dealing with poverty since it harms kids.

If you want to believe that poverty is solely caused by crack, you and Krauthammer should write a column together. You can join his weird counterfactuality.

Are you on crack? How you came to this conclusion off the above statement tells us you're on something...Krauthammer should be so lucky...and if I can take your Messiah's words in paraphrase "It's like you take pride in being ignorant"... Not smoking crack DOES help you avoid poverty...I mean jeezepetes...

All true.

FYI, Houston died an extremely wealthy person.

Crack is cheap

Back
Top Bottom