• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Case Of Proper Gun Use

Another case of a good person with a gun ridding the world of two crooks.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-resident-kills-two-men-during-botched-home-invasion-attempt

Good for that homeowner.

Do we have any stats on the number of times this kind of successful defense occurs versus the number of times innocent people are killed or wounded because of someone being careless with the guns in their homes?

That's a serious question. If you have the stats, good. If you don't, then just say so.

Edit: I'm also curious about the stats for people being criminal with the guns in their home, in particular those using guns for domestic violence.

Last edited:
Do we have any stats on the number of times this kind of successful defense occurs versus the number of times innocent people are killed or wounded because of someone being careless with the guns in their homes?

That's a serious question. If you have the stats, good. If you don't, then just say so.

Edit: I'm also curious about the stats for people being criminal with the guns in their home, in particular those using guns for domestic violence.
Wrong thread.

Wrong thread.

If the number of family members or little neighbor children killed is comparable to or greater than the number of home invaders killed, it's relevant to a thread talking up the virtues of gun ownership for dispatching home invaders.

=Amelia;1069664258]Good for that homeowner.
Yes very,very good.

Not sure what your trying to say. Were the intruders innocent? And if so was the homeowner in some way careless by shooting them?

WTF? I think I agree with RaleBulgarian-wrong thread.

If the number of family members or little neighbor children killed is comparable to or greater than the number of home invaders killed, it's relevant to a thread talking up the virtues of gun ownership for dispatching home invaders.

Nope that thinking is flawed. Although home invaders sometimes are killed such as in the case in the OP all too often they aren't. All too often home invaders might just be injured from being shot and thus they are stopped but not killed. Or when an invader sees that a homeowner has a gun they give up without the homeowner having to fire a shot.

Yes very,very good.

Not sure what your trying to say. Were the intruders innocent? And if so was the homeowner in some way careless by shooting them?

WTF? I think I agree with RaleBulgarian-wrong thread.

Does trespass carry the death penalty? Seems harsh.

that's a stupid comparison because the purpose of a defensive weapon is not to KILL attackers but to prevent the owner from being harmed. I have used a firearm in several cases to prevent harm to myself-and in only one case did I shoot an attacker and because I called the authorities almost immediately, he did not die.

that's rather silly for two reasons

1) defensive shooting is not a criminal penalty but rather a justified action to prevent the defender from being harmed

2) trespassing is often a precursor to violent actions that justify the trespasser being shot

I believe its very relevant to the thread.

For those who are upset over any incident where an honest gun owner is able to defend themselves with a gun. What is really sad is not only that gun banners want to harass honest gun owners-mainly for political reasons-some gun banners actually identify with violent criminals and oppose those mopes being harmed by their intended victims.

So many gum huggers now think they are mods.

Grab your gun, hide under the bed, Hillary is coming:lamo

So many gum huggers now think they are mods.

Grab your gun, hide under the bed, Hillary is coming:lamo

what exactly is your point other than disliking the politics of those whose votes are based on supporting gun rights?

Poor gun huggers, do they fondle their piece in the middle of the night?

Nope that thinking is flawed. Although home invaders sometimes are killed such as in the case in the OP all too often they aren't. All too often home invaders might just be injured from being shot and thus they are stopped but not killed. Or when an invader sees that a homeowner has a gun they give up without the homeowner having to fire a shot.

In my original question I said "or wounded" and the purposely nonspecific "this kind of successful defense". But go ahead and ignore my original question to you and jump in when I'm answering someone else and pretend that I restricted my parameters in the manner you implied so that you can say "oh no, it's wrong to limit your parameters that way". I made an honest attempt to ask a broad information-gathering question. You made a dishonest attempt to shut me down without providing a scintilla of data.

Last edited:
So, I'll take that as a no. You don't have stats on how many non-justified-defense shootings take place with home weapons to compare to the event this thread is celebrating.

I knew better than to get into a gun thread.

I've slipped twice in about a week after successfully avoiding them for a long time. I need to get back on the wagon.

A bit of a difference between trespass and home invasion by a criminal armed with a gun.

In my original question I said "or wounded" and the purposely nonspecific "this kind of successful defense". But go ahead and ignore my original question to you and jump in when I'm answering someone else and pretend that I restricted my parameters in the manner you implied so that you can say "oh no, it's wrong to limit your parameters that way". I made an honest attempt to ask a broad information-gathering question. You made a dishonest attempt to shut me down without providing a scintilla of data.

CDC Study: Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is ‘Important Crime Deterrent’

Ad Feedback

The White House unveiled a plan in January that included orders to the CDC to “conduct research on the causes and prevention of gun violence.” According to the White House report, “Research on gun violence is not advocacy; it is critical public health research that gives all Americans information they need.”

The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”

I knew better than to get into a gun thread.

I've slipped twice in about a week after successfully avoiding them for a long time. I need to get back on the wagon.

Well, if you weren't so totally ignorant on the subject?

Seems to be a lot of that home invasion thing going on in Florida...

911 caller hears screaming in intruder's fatal encounter with Lake County homeowner: 'Maybe he shot the [expletive]' - Orlando Sentinel

By: Jerry Fallstrom Contact Reporter Orlando Sentinel
In two 911 calls released Thursday by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, neighbors reported hearing multiple shots fired early Tuesday when a homeowner in the Pine Lakes area northeast of Eustis shot and killed an intruder.
“I hear somebody yelling and screaming now, so maybe he shot the [expletive],” one of the unidentified callers says in the recording.
The Sheriff’s Office received a report of a burglary in progress just before 5 a.m. at the home on Dee Street, Lt. John Herrell said.
“Someone had burglarized a home that’s under renovation, as well as a storage container that’s on an adjacent property he owns,” Herrell told Fox 35. “He called us back out, because he heard voices outside.”
The homeowner “was waiting over in the house for them to come back again,” said the 911 caller, who told the operator he was headed to check on the homeowner.
The homeowner, who wasn’t identified, told authorities the shooting occurred after he confronted the intruder at the home west of State Road 44.
The shooting victim was identified as Brandon Allen Woods, 27.

One would think the Florida ME's would get tired of carting off dead thugs and post a PSA on billboards and TV...."ATTENTION CRIMINALS.....FLORIDA RESIDENTS HAVE NO DUTY TO RETREAT FROM THIER HOMES...THEY CAN AND WILL SHOOT TO KILL"

Last edited:
So, I'll take that as a no. You don't have stats on how many non-justified-defense shootings take place with home weapons to compare to the event this thread is celebrating.

No one has those stats.

Back
Top Bottom