• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Another Bush crony bites the dust

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is just getting to be routine. Bush appoints someone to an agency who is unqualified. Their lack of qualifications is exposed, and they are forced to resign.

In this case, Bush appointed a 24-year-old kid to NASA who had no science background (and, of course, who had worked for the Bush/Cheney campaign). Give me a break. George C. Deutsch claimed on his resume he had graduated from Texas A&M. Guess what? He didn't graduate! How embarrassing for him and the Bush Administration.

Lying on a resume.....being appointed to a federal agency based on science without any science background and no college degree....

Now that is what I call restoring integrity to the White House.

A Young Bush Appointee Resigns His Post at NASA
By ANDREW C. REVKIN

George C. Deutsch, the young presidential appointee at NASA who told public affairs workers to limit reporters' access to a top climate scientist and told a Web designer to add the word "theory" at every mention of the Big Bang, resigned yesterday, agency officials said.

Mr. Deutsch's resignation came on the same day that officials at Texas A&M University confirmed that he did not graduate from there, as his résumé on file at the agency asserted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/politics/08nasa.html

Wow...

I say we impeach Bush now...:roll:

cnredd said:
Wow...

I say we impeach Bush now...:roll:

Hmmmm. A crony bites the dust and you somehow deduce that this relates to impeachment. Interesting.

You wanna talk about someone who has nothing to dispute.....

I read this a couple days ago....and refrained from posting it here, primarily because I knew it would be disregarded at best, and I would be accused of hating bush at the worst. I do see this as standard practice in this administration though, and as I find science to be of utmost importance to the future of this country, it worries me.

aps said:
This is just getting to be routine. Bush appoints someone to an agency who is unqualified. Their lack of qualifications is exposed, and they are forced to resign.

In this case, Bush appointed a 24-year-old kid to NASA who had no science background (and, of course, who had worked for the Bush/Cheney campaign). Give me a break. George C. Deutsch claimed on his resume he had graduated from Texas A&M. Guess what? He didn't graduate! How embarrassing for him and the Bush Administration.

Lying on a resume.....being appointed to a federal agency based on science without any science background and no college degree....

Now that is what I call restoring integrity to the White House.

Now how are we going to get to Mars? :roll:

Why do you think someone at NASA should have a Science background or a college degree?

I ain't trust 'em learnin types em hmm.
slingblade.jpeg

tecoyah said:
I read this a couple days ago....and refrained from posting it here, primarily because I knew it would be disregarded at best, and I would be accused of hating bush at the worst. I do see this as standard practice in this administration though, and as I find science to be of utmost importance to the future of this country, it worries me.

No matter how much I don't put a lot of faith into this administration, it is still terribly disappointing and surprising to me to see how much cronyism this administration has exercised. I just don't get it. Where is Bush's integrity?

tecoyah said:
I do see this as standard practice in this administration though, and as I find science to be of utmost importance to the future of this country, it worries me.

I don't think it's some kind of anti-science or anti-intellectual agenda, though. He's really just trying to give his supporters a little bit of love by putting them in unimportant positions.

Of course... to him that seems to include the Supreme Court.

Honestly, I think I'd turn into a one-issue voter if someone would actually come out and run on a platform of supporting NASA.

hipsterdufus said:
Now how are we going to get to Mars? :roll:

Why do you think someone at NASA should have a Science background or a college degree?

I ain't trust 'em learnin types em hmm.
slingblade.jpeg

Because this guy was altering scientific findings by NASA employees.

The Big Bang memo came from Mr. Deutsch, a 24-year-old presidential appointee in the press office at NASA headquarters whose résumé says he was an intern in the "war room" of the 2004 Bush-Cheney re-election campaign. A 2003 journalism graduate of Texas A&M, he was also the public-affairs officer who sought more control over Dr. Hansen's public statements.

In October 2005, Mr. Deutsch sent an e-mail message to Flint Wild, a NASA contractor working on a set of Web presentations about Einstein for middle-school students. The message said the word "theory" needed to be added after every mention of the Big Bang.

The Big Bang is "not proven fact; it is opinion," Mr. Deutsch wrote, adding, "It is not NASA's place, nor should it be to make a declaration such as this about the existence of the universe that discounts intelligent design by a creator."

It continued: "This is more than a science issue, it is a religious issue. And I would hate to think that young people would only be getting one-half of this debate from NASA. That would mean we had failed to properly educate the very people who rely on us for factual information the most."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/04/science/04climate.html

Addendum to Previous Post: I will also vote for any Presidential candidate that runs on a platform of having Deutsch publically horsewhipped.

George Deutsch said:
"This is more than a science issue, it is a religious issue. And I would hate to think that young people would only be getting one-half of this debate from NASA. That would mean we had failed to properly educate the very people who rely on us for factual information the most."

Yes, it is a religious issue. Which is why NASA has absolutely no business getting involved with it.

aps said:
No matter how much I don't put a lot of faith into this administration, it is still terribly disappointing and surprising to me to see how much cronyism this administration has exercised. I just don't get it. Where is Bush's integrity?

Sometimes I'm embarrassed for you, aps. I really am. Your fanatic obsession with finding scandal is ... well, embarrassing.

At what point did the buzz-word 'cronyism' start to get a grip on you? Tell us what that means to you and why it is so offensive to you. Tell us how cronyism and integrity go hand in hand. In fact, detail for us how one's person's failure translates into another person's integrity. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about that.

A few years ago I asked someone whom I trusted (and still do) to produce a CD for me. There might have been someone better for the job, but I hired him because he was my friend. After a few weeks of recording, I knew I had made a mistake and so I replaced him with another producer. Was my integrity lost then? Do you think those around me lost faith in me? Do you think they were surprised and disappointed in me?

Last edited:
KCConservative said:
Sometimes I'm embarrassed for you, aps. I really am. Your fanatic obsession with finding scandal is ... well, embarrassing.

Frankly, KC, what you think of my posts means absolutely nothing to me.

At what point did the buzz-word 'cronyism' start to get a grip on you? Tell us what that means to you and why it is so offensive to you. Tell us how cronyism and integrity go hand in hand. In fact, detail for us how one's person's failure translates into another person's integrity. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about that.

A few years ago I asked someone whom I trusted (and still do) to produce a CD for me. There might have been someone better for the job, but I hired him because he was my friend. After a few weeks of recording, I knew I had made a mistake and so I replaced him with another producer. Was my integrity lost then? Do you think those around me lost faith in me? Do you think they were surprised and disappointed in me?

I have no problem with your asking me questions, but the manner in which you do it above is so obnoxious, that I won't even address it. Bye bye.

aps said:
Frankly, KC, what you think of my posts means absolutely nothing to me.

I have no problem with your asking me questions, but the manner in which you do it above is so obnoxious, that I won't even address it. Bye bye.

I guess that answers a lot.

KCConservative said:
I guess that answers a lot.

The manner in which you posed your questions says a lot too about you and how you feel about yourself.

aps said:
The manner in which you posed your questions says a lot too about you and how you feel about yourself.
I just read my post again. You're right, I forgot to say please. Would you please share with us more on this notion of cronyism? How you think it relates to integrity, etc. Please. By the way, I feel great.

KCConservative said:
I just read my post again. You're right, I forgot to say please. Would you please share with us more on this notion of cronyism? How you think it relates to integrity, etc. Please. By the way, I feel great.

Where's the smiley face? I need a smiley face. :2wave:

aps said:
Where's the smiley face? I need a smiley face. :2wave:
You're kidding, right? You thought my question obnoxious because I didn't include a smiley face? Forgive me, but I'm lost.

KCConservative, on what grounds do you see it fit that Deutsch was appointed to the high level position? No education and no experience. His FAKE degree was in journalism.

It seems that this guy was trying to push a religious agenda instead of following any mandate set by NASA.

KCConservative said:
You're kidding, right? You thought my question obnoxious because I didn't include a smiley face? Forgive me, but I'm lost.

Yes, I'm kidding!

KCConservative said:

So you hired a friend to produce a CD for you and that friend turned out to be unqualified for the task at hand? Huh, I never realized it but now, after hearing that story, it does make sense. Bush probably should hire people he knows even if they have no education or experience.

Pacridge said:
So you hired a friend to produce a CD for you and that friend turned out to be unqualified for the task at hand? Huh, I never realized it but now, after hearing that story, it does make sense. Bush probably should hire people he knows even if they have no education or experience.
Exactly, because that CD was produced with tax payer money and had the full american population involved too.

shuamort said:
Exactly, because that CD was produced with tax payer money and had the full american population involved too.

Yeah, right. :smile:

No, my story was just an example, obviously, of what some might think to be cronyism. I mean, I guess if that's the label one want's to use, then yes, it's cronyism. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It just is what it is. I never knew it to be a negative thing, that is not until the Bush hate turned it into something evil. I was never made aware by anyone that my integrity had been tainted because of it, as aps claims to be the case with regard to the president.

Bush hired Rove and Rice and a host of others who he has a working history with...long before they ever ended up at the White House together. What's wrong with that?

With regard to the resume, it would seem apparent that he was not the best qualified. Still, I don't understand the left's persistence with finding scandal and wrong-doing in matters such as this. (I mean, I guess I do. Politics is politics afterall. Smearing the other guy seems to be the norm). But people are fired and replaced all the time, ie the CD producer. No difference.

Last edited:
KCConservative said:
Yeah, right. :smile:

No, my story was just an example, obviously, of what some might think to be cronyism. I mean, I guess if that's the label one want's to use, then yes, it's cronyism. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It just is what it is. I never knew it to be a negative thing, that is not until the Bush hate turned it into something evil. I was never made aware by anyone that my integrity had been tainted because of it, as aps claims to be the case with regard to the president.

Bush hired Rove and Rice and a host of others who has a working history with...long before they ever ended up at the White House together. What's wrong with that?

With regard to the resume, it would seem apparent that he was not the best qualified. Still, I don't understand the left's persistence with finding scandal and wrong-doing in matters such as this. People are fired and replaces all the time, i.e. the CD producer.

I don't have a problem when they hire people they know and trust. So long as the person hired is qualified. Bush has hired many who don't meet the requirements for the job, like the individual who's the subject of this thread. They've all done it. Bush just seems to either be being caught more often or doing it more often.

Pacridge said:
I don't have a problem when they hire people they know and trust. So long as the person hired is qualified. Bush has hired many who don't meet the requirements for the job, like the individual who's the subject of this thread. They've all done it. Bush just seems to either be being caught more often or doing it more often.
So we agree then. There's no crime. And let's not forget, whether someone is qualified for a job or not, is a very subjective thing. It's opinion, at best.

For some, I guess, it's used as another opportunity to find reason to bash Bush.

Last edited:
KCConservative said:
So we agree then. There's no crime. And let's not forget, whether someone is qualified for a job or not, is a very subjective thing. It's opinion, at best.

For some, I guess, it's used as another opportunity to find reason to bash Bush.

To explain the integrity issue, it appears that scientists at NASA were being stifled in discussing their opinions on certain environmental issues. Deutsch has been accused of being one of the people who attempted to alter the wording used by some scientists. See below:

"It is not the job of public-affairs officers," Dr. Griffin wrote in an e-mail message to the agency's 19,000 employees, "to alter, filter or adjust engineering or scientific material produced by NASA's technical staff."

The statement came six days after The New York Times quoted the scientist, James E. Hansen, as saying he was threatened with "dire consequences" if he continued to call for prompt action to limit emissions of heat-trapping gases linked to global warming. He and intermediaries in the agency's 350-member public-affairs staff said the warnings came from White House appointees in NASA headquarters.

Other National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientists and public-affairs employees came forward this week to say that beyond Dr. Hansen's case, there were several other instances in which political appointees had sought to control the flow of scientific information from the agency.

They called or e-mailed The Times and sent documents showing that news releases were delayed or altered to mesh with Bush administration policies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/04/science/04climate.html?

I'm sorry, but having appointees alter scientific information (which I doubt they do on their own accord) is indicative of a lack of integrity. Deutsch is the officer who attempted to control Dr. Hansen's public statements. This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

I'm just pointing out that Bush claimed he would restore integrity to the White House. Instances such as this do not lend credence to his assertion. In fact, they directly refute it.

Back
Top Bottom