• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

another ANWR attempt, this time it might work

tecoyah

Illusionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Regardless of three years of being shot down by congress on this issue, it seems this administration couldnt care less what the people want if its on the agenda. ANWR drilling has been slipped into the freakin' Budget, thus no Filibuster , no real vote.

The deception just pisses me off.

"We encourage you to reject any requests that are intended to misuse the budget process to open the refuge to oil and gas drilling and exploration," the Democratic lawmakers said.

The Senate Budget Committee is scheduled to vote Wednesday on whether to include the ANWR leasing revenue in the government's 2007 budget.

Last week, 24 House Republicans sent a letter to House Budget Committee chairman, Republican Rep. Jim Nussle (news, bio, voting record), urging him to keep Arctic refuge drilling out of the 2007 budget bill.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060306/pl_nm/energy_congress_oil_dc

ANWR, these guys are so corrupt by big oil.
Energy companies have already spent so much money on exploration and bribery that they'd loose all thier investments. These guys care nothing about the environment except for when it supports thier agendas.
The only thing that pisses me off is how this administration goes on with it's rediculous rhetoric in state of the union address about the development of alternatives and so on.
When will we get transparency?

KCConservative said:
Quite the contrary. I am for drilling at Anwar.
Lol, contrary? You're very funny. Just how much oil is in Anwar? Contrast that to the footprint that would be left by such drilling? I know those of you that religoiusly support St. Bush are, Bush never errors and he speaks the word of god.

They could drill the living hell out of ANWR, and a photo from space would show no change. Down on the ground level, migrating mosquitoes have to make a slight detour to avoid bumping into an oil rig. Notice that it's always the same people who whine about high gas prices and "no blood for oil" that become obstructionists when an attempt is made to bet more oil from U.S. territory.

alphamale said:
Notice that it's always the same people who whine about high gas prices and "no blood for oil" that become obstructionists when an attempt is made to bet more oil from U.S. territory.

Bingo!

:2wave:

alphamale said:
They could drill the living hell out of ANWR, and a photo from space would show no change. Down on the ground level, migrating mosquitoes have to make a slight detour to avoid bumping into an oil rig. Notice that it's always the same people who whine about high gas prices and "no blood for oil" that become obstructionists when an attempt is made to bet more oil from U.S. territory.
Yes you photo far enough from space and Earth is nothing more than a glowing spec.
Show me your source that drilling in Anwar will actually lower gas prices?

KCConservative said:
Bingo!

:2wave:
I see you agree with alpha? So where's your credible source that drilling there will:
a) not cause environmental damage ie drill scarring, oil spills.
b) lower gas prices
Or is it just more baseless rhetoric from you?

jfuh said:
Yes you photo far enough from space and Earth is nothing more than a glowing spec.
Show me your source that drilling in Anwar will actually lower gas prices?

Uh, read pages 1 thru 10 of any economics book! :mrgreen:

alphamale said:
Uh, read pages 1 thru 10 of any economics book! :mrgreen:
Just as I thought, no source.
Lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
Uh, read pages 1 thru 10 of any economics book!

Just as I thought, no source.
Lame

That increased supply decreases price is nowadays probably a fact in possession of ten year olds. This is like asking for a "reference" that 2 + 2 = 4. :lol:

alphamale said:
That increased supply decreases price is nowadays probably a fact in possession of ten year olds. This is like asking for a "reference" that 2 + 2 = 4. :lol:
I see someone slept through mathematics class. For one, Anwr is not another 2 nor is it even a 1, Anwr is more like a 10^-8 in contrast to the 10 that is representative of what the US needs with respect to annual demand.
So again, I'm going to ask you for your source that claims Anwr will actually meet enough demand to lower prices nationwide.

jfuh said:
I see someone slept through mathematics class. For one, Anwr is not another 2 nor is it even a 1, Anwr is more like a 10^-8 in contrast to the 10 that is representative of what the US needs with respect to annual demand.
So again, I'm going to ask you for your source that claims Anwr will actually meet enough demand to lower prices nationwide.

You are a completely off the scale nutcase! :2razz: ANWR probably has 9 billion barrels of recoverable oil - just with today's technology, and the U.S. consumes about 7 billion barrels a year. Obviously, you don't have a clue.

By itself drilling in ANWR will not reduce prices of fuel, the way it would have an effect would be to curtail foreign consumption and take away some pricing leverage from OPEC. There still is one problem however, because of overly strict environmental regulations and "not in my backyard" syndrome, we are in a period of refinery shrinkage, there has not been a new refinery built in the U.S. since the 1970's and those still in existence are currently closing, since we don't use crude oil as fuel, rather it's distillates and other by-products, without more refineries, supply will not keep up with demand, thus the prices of gas will either remain in stasis or increase with an incline in demand. But ANWR is a great first step.

LaMidRighter said:
By itself drilling in ANWR will not reduce prices of fuel, the way it would have an effect would be to curtail foreign consumption and take away some pricing leverage from OPEC.

Sorry, but taking away price leverage from OPEC is one of the ways to lower prices. Also, the recoverable oil is estimated to save 1/3 of a trillion dollars paid to exporting countries.

alphamale said:
You are a completely off the scale nutcase! :2razz: ANWR probably has 9 billion barrels of recoverable oil - just with today's technology, and the U.S. consumes about 7 billion barrels a year. Obviously, you don't have a clue.

If we stopped importing oil and got all of our oil from ANWR, it would last a little over a year (assuming your figures are correct, which I did not check). That's not what I'd call a significant amount of oil and wouldn't lower the price of oil by very much at all.

With that said, I'm 100% for drilling there. It's very unlikely that there would be significant environmental damage, and if the people of Alaska (who are, after all, the most affected by any environmental damage) are willing to deal with it, I don't see why the rest of the country should have a big problem with the environmental consequences. It would also help the Alaskan economy and provide Alaskans with jobs.

ANWR shouldn't even be owned by the federal government. They should either give it to Alaska or auction it off to private developers.

You know....The actual point of this thread had to do with the "Way" this is bieng slipped into the budget, and as usual, the people who support Bush blindly have moved the discussion as far away from any wrong doing as possible. I really have no problem with ANWR as a proposal.....I have a problem with congress voting against something over and over again, just to have the Fed decide the opinion of the Congress....you know the primary Check in the Check and balance thing.....is irrelevant.

There is a bigger picture here folks.

ANWR will not affect gas prices.
It will take around a decade for the oitl to start flowing once the project gets a green light. Then it will supply about 4% of what the US uses each day.

It really only benefits folks who will make money off the drilling.
Ordinary Americans will get no benefit from it.

Similar things were said about the Alaskan north slope and Prudohe Bay.

Simon W. Moon said:

“Just because you’re on their side doesn’t mean they’re on your side.”

;)

alphamale said:
Sorry, but taking away price leverage from OPEC is one of the ways to lower prices.
The petro can't come to market at a rate that will impact the "price leverage from OPEC." That's the bottleneck. GWB said that we could only get it at just under a million bpd. When this is compared to the projected consumption needs of the US at the time that the petro could start to arrive, it amounts to only a small fraction.

alphamale said:
Also, the recoverable oil is estimated to save 1/3 of a trillion dollars paid to exporting countries.
Perhaps over a few to several decades. Still a small percentage of the petro expenditures for the same time period.

Simon W. Moon said:

Are the CEOs going to build the oil rigs and pump the oil themselves? I doubt it.

Attaching the ANWR rider to the budget by Republicans is an attempt to point up the silliness of one of the riders the Democrats recently tried to include in a budget bill.

I can't remember what it was, or who put it in there, but I remember not long ago some talk about it, and that some Republicans were going to attach ANWR to the next budget in response.

It's political tit-for-tat, though drilling in ANWR would be a good first step I think to establishing a new precedent for pushing back some of the extreme environmentalism that has been harming the nation's economy.

Kandahar said:
Are the CEOs going to build the oil rigs and pump the oil themselves? I doubt it.
I do too. What's your point?
As I said, it really only benefits folks who will make money off the drilling.

Back
Top Bottom