• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another abortion poll, more options

Abortion should be legal:

• Total voters

Noodlegawd

Somebody you used to know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Please provide more detail on your answer in comments.

By "extreme cases" I mean rape, incest, danger to mother, etc. You can pick this option if any apply, even if you don't agree with all of them. Feel free to specify which in comments.

For time cutoffs, please specify in comments a range of what you think would be acceptable to you.

{EDIT} I'm asking for your personal opinion on what the law should be, not what you think the Constitution or any other law requires, or what would be politically possible.

Last edited:

By "extreme cases" I mean rape, incest, danger to mother, etc. You can pick this option if any apply, even if you don't agree with all of them. Feel free to specify which in comments.

For time cutoffs, please specify in comments a range of what you think would be acceptable to you.
Is this a vote for what one would like to see as law or what one thinks is possible?

Just out of curiosity...if you have trouble supporting yourself and get pregnant...I would say that to the pregnant woman, that is pretty "extreme". Would you?

Is this a vote for what one would like to see as law or what one thinks is possible?

I clarified -- what you would like to see as law.

Just out of curiosity...if you have trouble supporting yourself and get pregnant...I would say that to the pregnant woman, that is pretty "extreme". Would you?

I can live with that, if you want to select an option where that would matter. Please explain in a comment after you respond.

I can live with that, if you want to select an option where that would matter. Please explain in a comment after you respond.
I would say first trimester to first half of pregnancy.

I clarified -- what you would like to see as law.
Abortion is a private medical matter. It should be between a woman, her family and her doctor only. The abortion laws in conservative states are were made by legislators trying to manage women's lives without their consent as they have done with women and their money.

In 1900 laws were passed so women were no longer liable for their husband’s debt. They could enter contracts on their own, collect rents or receive an inheritance. In the 1960's women finally had the right to open their own bank accounts without a husband co-signing for them. In 1974 women got to own their own credit cards. Eventually women will be able to make personal medical decisions about their reproductive lives without interference from religion or the state.

Women will no more willingly give up their credit cards than the give up their right to make private decisions about their personal reproductive lives.

I would say first trimester to first half of pregnancy.

That would be good with me too if all pregnant women knew about their pregnancies before Week 10. Sadly, stuff happens later that make a fetal abortion necessary

I chose> By choice, up to a certain time cutoff (please specify), and afterwords in "extreme cases"
Certain time cutoff? 6 weeks before birth. I'm flexible. Mainly up to the woman.

Abortion is a private medical matter. It should be between a woman, her family and her doctor only. The abortion laws in conservative states are were made by legislators trying to manage women's lives without their consent as they have done with women and their money.

There are abortion laws in liberal states as well. Are the the legislators in liberal States trying to manage women's lives without their consent?

That would be good with me too if all pregnant women knew about their pregnancies before Week 10. Sadly, stuff happens later that make a fetal abortion necessary
This is the danger of drawing a line. If you have your period every month and haven't had it in 3 months....something should click and tell you you're pregnant. But not every woman is so "regular".

There are abortion laws in liberal states as well. Are the the legislators in liberal States trying to manage women's lives without their consent?

What are the laws LOL?

No woman plans a late term abortion. They are legal only to stop legal barriers to providing them when they are life saving. That has been the case forever

That would be an extreme case.

Choice up to labor, because I'm pretty damn sure that if she's in labor, you can't safely perform an abortion. The purpose of any abortion is to end the pregnancy, for many reasons. But ultimately, that is the purpose of the abortion. Labor means the pregnancy is ending very soon.

But I only say "choice", because almost all restrictions, caveats we put in leave off something that is important and may still need an abortion in those last months.

The decision should be up to the pregnant person and their doctor.

Last edited:
Up to 22 weeks, or when required to protect the life or health of the mother as determined by her doctor.

I wish I could give an educated answer as to when life begins;

"The American College of Pediatricians concurs with the body of scientific evidence that human life begins at conception - fertilization…."

Then you have this;

"The argument that this unique human being present in the mother’s womb from the moment of fertilization is a part of the mother’s body until sometime later in gestation is, from a scientific viewpoint, bizarre"

And I am sure all you could post your own links on when life begins.

No, I would say to the pregnant woman: "That was pretty stupid" if she did it by choice. Otherwise, that could be extreme.

Where is the option : It's done of my ****ing business. The choice is between a woman and her doctor.

Where is the option : It's done of my ****ing business. The choice is between a woman and her doctor.
Interesting POV. If a woman decided she no longer wants to have a child at week 34 would you be OK with her having an abortion?

Interesting POV. If a woman decided she no longer wants to have a child at week 34 would you be OK with her having an abortion?
If that doctor says it's a medical necessity to do so yes. But again I have no say in it. Not my pregnancy or my body.

Would you (general) like people to be able to decide whether or not you are allowed to have that hip replacement or heart surgery? It's a slippery slope and I hope people don't go there but if they do they can expect a lot of push back. If I don't have say over what happens with my body you (general) sure as hell don't.

If that doctor says it's a medical necessity to do so yes. But again I have no say in it. Not my pregnancy or my body.

Would you (general) like people to be able to decide whether or not you are allowed to have that hip replacement or heart surgery? It's a slippery slope and I hope people don't go there but if they do they can expect a lot of push back. If I don't have say over what happens with my body you (general) sure as hell don't.
I appreciate your answer. I rely on science to help me make informed opinions. If science tells me human life begins at X weeks. I then have a stake in the ground. Same for the other medical procedures you cited.

Back
Top Bottom