• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another 2.5 million votes for Democrats in November

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Democrats to give jobless benefits another vote

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Millions of people stuck on the jobless rolls would receive an extension of unemployment benefits averaging $309 a week under a Senate bill that appears set to break free of a Republican filibuster.

If all goes as expected, about 2.5 million people will receive jobless benefits retroactively, injecting almost $3 billion into the economy once they're paid out.

Partisan Republicans have been rubbing their collective hands in glee as they anticipate big wins in November. They could, indeed, gain some seats, as the voters are none too happy with the current Congress, but it seems unlikely that they will forget about this particular vote.

hW3ZE.jpg

I don't think this'll do anything good for the democrats. It'll just save the support people already have for democrats. The issue isn't if the democrats are going to extend unemployment benefits, it's the issue is if the democrats are going to extend unemployment in general regardless if you agree or disagree with the premise that democrat legislation contribute to job loss or that democrats have done nothing to create job growth.

Democrats to give jobless benefits another vote

Partisan Republicans have been rubbing their collective hands in glee as they anticipate big wins in November. They could, indeed, gain some seats, as the voters are none too happy with the current Congress, but it seems unlikely that they will forget about this particular vote.

You mean the particular vote that adds another 26 weeks to the already 99 weeks of unemployment insurance? That is over 2 years of being paid for not working and you don't see a problem with that? Also in November 2009 Obama claimed that the increase to 99 weeks of insurance had to be paid for but not now, why?

I don't understand liberals, who seem to not understand that it is the taxpaying liberals whose money is being spent as well as Conservative money to fund over two years of unemployment benefits. The brainwashing is absolutely incredible.

You mean the particular vote that adds another 26 weeks to the already 99 weeks of unemployment insurance? That is over 2 years of being paid for not working and you don't see a problem with that? Also in November 2009 Obama claimed that the increase to 99 weeks of insurance had to be paid for but not now, why?

I don't understand liberals, who seem to not understand that it is the taxpaying liberals whose money is being spent as well as Conservative money to fund over two years of unemployment benefits. The brainwashing is absolutely incredible.

It's not whether I personally have a problem with it or not. It's how those 2.5 million families are going to see it. If you were one of those long term unemployed, and the Republicans were blocking you continuing unemployment, while the Democrats got it through anyway, how would you vote?

And don't say, Oh I'd never be unemployed that long. That is garbage. Anyone can be out of work long term in an economy like we have now.

I'm sorry, but you are a worthless moocher if you depend on unemployment for more then two years.

It's not whether I personally have a problem with it or not. It's how those 2.5 million families are going to see it. If you were one of those long term unemployed, and the Republicans were blocking you continuing unemployment, while the Democrats got it through anyway, how would you vote?

And don't say, Oh I'd never be unemployed that long. That is garbage. Anyone can be out of work long term in an economy like we have now.

Unemployment insurance was intended to be temporary and has now become an entitlement. There used to be charities that handled this and there used to be pride in all Americans, not any more. If you believe all those unemployed are good, upstanding, hardworking, just out of luck people, you are very naive. And if you are a true Libertarian, you wouldn't be for any unemployment insurance as it destroys incentive to get a job.

I see your point on the 2.5 million Democrat voters as that is what democrats do, create victims and dependence. People that don't pay taxes have not problems paying for those that do and people out of work seem to have no problem taking money from those that do have a job. 2 years is way too long to be out of work and there is little incentive to go back to work before that time is up

I'm sorry, but you are a worthless moocher if you depend on unemployment for more then two years.

What bothers me the most is my bet is that most people in this country didn't know that unemployed people today get 99 weeks of unemployment insurance and that has now been expanded another 26 weeks? That is over two years!!!!!

Also what most people don't seem to understand is that Obama has made the unemployment situation worse by his focus on programs that will drive up taxes on small businesses, the real job creators in this country.

Anyone that supports what is going on in this country today is brainwashed and ignoring the actual numbers which I posted. Pointing to a decline in unemployment rate or increase in the employment rate ignores that discouraged workers are dropped from both thus reducing the unemployment number and the labor force base. That is going to make the percentages look better but the actual numbers worse.

Can't help but notice that when Obama supporters are confronted with the actual facts they ignore those facts and go silent. Most will be back in a few days hoping that the people will forget those numbers. I will never forget and will continue to post them.

exactly....what conservative doesnt seem to get, is that while things are improving, its going to take some time before the economy is working on all cylinders.....without this extension, what are those people supposed to do? they will be on the welfare rolls of the states.

exactly....what conservative doesnt seem to get, is that while things are improving, its going to take some time before the economy is working on all cylinders.....without this extension, what are those people supposed to do? they will be on the welfare rolls of the states.

What the left doesn't get is the people do not want to add to the debt and like the GOP want this paid for

What the left doesn't get is the people do not want to add to the debt and like the GOP want this paid for
the GOP are fair weather deficit hawks....how about reinstating the estate tax? i read somewhere that this brought in billions of dollars each year, which would pay for the extension.

the GOP are fair weather deficit hawks....how about reinstating the estate tax? i read somewhere that this brought in billions of dollars each year, which would pay for the extension.

There is enough money in TARP to pay for it. Tax the dead how morbid

There is enough money in TARP to pay for it. Tax the dead how morbid

why is that morbid? until recently, that tax has been in place for years.

I keep asking what is it exactly that is improving and I get silence. Unemployment 16 million last month, that isn't an improvement. 1 trillion added to the debt in 9 months, that isn't an improvement. Economic growth in govt. sector but not private sector, isn't an improvement. Obama approval ratings are dropping, that isn't an improvement. Randel, you and the result of the Obama cult live in a dream world where brainwashed individuals ignore actual results. After a trillion dollar stimulus plan, these are the results you are touting? Wow, such low standards!

Randel, please explain to us all how tax rate cuts that grew revenue caused a deficit? Liberals seem to believe that tax cuts need to be paid for and buy the liberal line. Tax cuts are individuals and corporations first thus individuals and corporations aren't entities of the govt. that are an expense. Liberals just are too bullheaded to admit their ideology is a failure.

I keep asking what is it exactly that is improving and I get silence. Unemployment 16 million last month, that isn't an improvement. 1 trillion added to the debt in 9 months, that isn't an improvement. Economic growth in govt. sector but not private sector, isn't an improvement. Obama approval ratings are dropping, that isn't an improvement. Randel, you and the result of the Obama cult live in a dream world where brainwashed individuals ignore actual results. After a trillion dollar stimulus plan, these are the results you are touting? Wow, such low standards!
as has been explained to you several times now, you ignore anything that points to a different conclussion than the one you want , or you try to move the discussion in another direction, you sir, are not worth the time to debate.

Yes, you are right, there are some people out there that will not vote GOP Because the GOP dared to ask that the bribe the dems offer the unemployed be paid for first... I'm sorry, the "desperately needed temporary relief"... of 2+ years.

as has been explained to you several times now, you ignore anything that points to a different conclussion than the one you want , or you try to move the discussion in another direction, you sir, are not worth the time to debate.

No, Randel, I use actual facts, not opinions and certainly not made up information based upon hope and change. Seems you are missing what the American people are seeing for if things were getting better Obama's approval ratings would be higher. I wonder what it is about an ideology that blinds people to buy rhetoric over substance. I find that absolulely amazing and rather scary. If this is the way you operate in real life, you definitely need Obama style economics to take care of you for life.

Yes, you are right, there are some people out there that will not vote GOP Because the GOP dared to ask that the bribe the dems offer the unemployed be paid for first... I'm sorry, the "desperately needed temporary relief"... of 2+ years.

Absolutely amazing isn't it, temporary relife for 2 + years! That is liberal logic.

why is that morbid? until recently, that tax has been in place for years.

Yes and people complain about it. So if a farmer dies and his equipment and land fall in this the family has to sell the farm. Is this farm family part of the rich?

No, Randel, I use actual facts, not opinions and certainly not made up information based upon hope and change. Seems you are missing what the American people are seeing for if things were getting better Obama's approval ratings would be higher. I wonder what it is about an ideology that blinds people to buy rhetoric over substance. I find that absolulely amazing and rather scary. If this is the way you operate in real life, you definitely need Obama style economics to take care of you for life.
no, you pick and choose data(also known as 'cherrypicking') to try and spin and make your point...when confronted with data that contradicts you, you ignore it(even when it is from one of your chosen sites)....you are not interested in debate, only in preaching from your soapbox. have a nice day

Yes and people complain about it. So if a farmer dies and his equipment and land fall in this the family has to sell the farm. Is this farm family part of the rich?
i will look up the specifics of the tax, i believe you have to be worth so much before the tax kicks in.

i will look up the specifics of the tax, i believe you have to be worth so much before the tax kicks in.

That is my point. A farmer that makes a middle class living could fall into that because of his land and assets.

This is a tax on the dead, on things that have already been taxed, a double tax is wrong.

no, you pick and choose data(also known as 'cherrypicking') to try and spin and make your point...when confronted with data that contradicts you, you ignore it(even when it is from one of your chosen sites)....you are not interested in debate, only in preaching from your soapbox. have a nice day

You are right, 16 million unemployed Americans is cherrypicking in your world. Sorry but you simply haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. Keep that head buried in the sand. I have seen nothing from you that refutes any of the data I have posted. You need to learn what debate is all about, your opinions don't mean squat here, get the facts and back those facts up. Refute the BLS data I posted.

Back
Top Bottom