• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Annoy Someone On The Web - Go To Jail

H

hipsterdufus

This one slipped through the radar screen with little corporate media attention. This looks like the beginning of Bush trying to control the internet, the last bastion of free speech left in the U.S.

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."

To grease the rails for this idea, Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, and the section's other sponsors slipped it into an unrelated, must-pass bill to fund the Department of Justice. The plan: to make it politically infeasible for politicians to oppose the measure.

The tactic worked. The bill cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote, and the Senate unanimously approved it Dec. 16.
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance,+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

hipsterdufus said:
This one slipped through the radar screen with little corporate media attention. This looks like the beginning of Bush trying to control the internet, the last bastion of free speech left in the U.S.

This looks like the result of good intentions run amok. The original purpose of the bill was to stop cyberstalking, but the wording got out of control, thanks to bureaucratic lawmakers who know nothing about the law. This will be ruled unconstitutional if put to any kind of legal test. What is annoying to some people isnt annoying to others, hence the lack of any kind of objective standard in this particular law.

I can understand the subsection that contains this part when talking about the bill as a whole. It makes sense. Unfortunately, due to REALLY poor wording, we get a mess. I can see this going through the motions to hopefully being ruled unconstitutional in the future.

prohibiting the posting of annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

Sounds good to me.

Deegan said:
What's the problem here?:confused:

It is very specific as far as I can tell, and could not be used in any other way other then it was intended to be. Feel free to read the law, though it will make your head and eyes bleed, it has mine anyway.:doh

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR03402:@@@L&summ2=m&

There is no problem, of course. This is another attempt to take what the president does, twisting it to mean something corrupt and evil and passing it off as another reason to bash Bush. Predictable behavior.

Deegan said:
What's the problem here?:confused:

It is very specific as far as I can tell, and could not be used in any other way other then it was intended to be. Feel free to read the law, though it will make your head and eyes bleed, it has mine anyway.:doh

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR03402:mad:@@L&summ2=m&
Again, the problem is what is annoying to some is not annoying to others. Because of that, this law is not enforcable. The courts will shoot it down quickly if the law is put to any kind of a legal test. However, the law is still a good one. It just needs to be better worded, and contain an objective standard that defines what the illegal behavior specifically is.

danarhea said:
Again, the problem is what is annoying to some is not annoying to others. Because of that, this law is not enforcable. The courts will shoot it down quickly if the law is put to any kind of a legal test. However, the law is still a good one. It just needs to be better worded, and contain an objective standard that defines what the illegal behavior specifically is.

I could not find those words in the law, maybe I'm missing something here.:confused:

Deegan said:
I could not find those words in the law, maybe I'm missing something here.:confused:

Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Define annoy.

hipsterdufus said:

The executive branch now writes legislation???

Someone needs a refresher course in American Government, maybe you should listen to School House Rock's take on the subject:

Three-Ring Government

Gonna have a three-ring circus someday,
People will say it's a fine one, son.
People will come from miles around.
Lions, tigers, acrobats, and jugglers and clowns galore,
Tightrope walkers, pony riders, elephants, and so much more...

Guess I got the idea right here at school.
Felt like a fool when they called my name,
Talkin[ about the government and how it's arranged,
Divided in three like a circus.
Ring one, Executive,
Two is Legislative, that's Congress.
Ring three, Judiciary.
See it's kind of like my circus, circus.

Step right up and visit ring number one.
The show's just begun. Meet the President.
I am here to see that the laws get done.
The ringmaster of the government.

On with the show!

Hurry, hurry, hurry to ring number two.
See what they do in the Congress.
Passin' laws and juggling bills,
Oh, it's quite a thrill in the Congress.
Focus your attention on ring number three.
The Judiciary's in the spotlight.
The courts take the law and they tame the crimes
Balancing the wrongs with your rights.

No one part can be
more powerful than any other is.
Each controls the other you see,
and that's what we call checks and balances.

Well, everybody's act is part of the show.
And no one's job is more important.
The audience is kinda like the country you know,
Keeping and eye on their performance.

Ring one, Executive,
Ring three, Judiciary.

Gonna have a three-ring circus someday.
People will say it's a fine one son,
But until I get it, I'll do my thing
With government. It's got three rings.

and now you know and what is knowing?

http://www.school-house-rock.com/Thre.html

or this classic childrens favorite:

I'm Just a Bill

Boy:

Whew! You sure gotta climb a lot of steps to get to this Capitol Building here in Washington. But I wonder who that sad little scrap of paper is?

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law some day
At least I hope and pray that I will
But today I am still just a bill.

Boy:
Gee, Bill, you certainly have a lot of patience and courage.

BILL:
Well, I got this far. When I started I wasn't even a bill, I was just an idea. Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed, so they called their local Congressman, and he said, "You're right, there oughta be a law." Then he sat down and wrote me out and introduced me to Congress. And I became a bill, and I'll remain a bill until they decide to make me a law.

I'm just a bill
Yes I'm only a bill,
And I got as far as Capitol Hill.
Well, now I'm stuck in committee
And I'll sit here and wait
While a few key Congressmen discuss and debate
Whether they should let me be a law.
How I hope and pray that they will,

Boy:

Listen to those Congressmen arguing! Is all that discussion and debate about you.
BILL:

Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones. Most bills never even get this far. I hope they decide toreport on me favorably, otherwise I may die.
Boy:

Die?
BILL:

Yeah, die in committee. Ooh, but it looks like I'm gonna live! NOW I go to the House of Representatives, and they vote on me.

Boy:

if they vote yes, what happens?
BILL:

Then I go to the Senate and the whole thing starts all over again.
Boy:

Oh no!
BILL:

Oh yes!

I'm just a bill
Yes, I'm only a bill
And if they vote for me on Capitol Hill
Well, then I'm off to the White House
Where I'll wait in a line
With a lot of other bills
For the president to sign
And if he signs me, then I'll be a law.
HOW I hope and pray that he will,

Boy:
You mean even if the whole Congress says you should be a law, the president can still say no?

BILL:
Yes, that's called a veto. If the president vetoes me, I have to go back to Congress and they vote on me again, and by that time you're so old ...

Boy:
By that time it's very unlikely that you'll become a law. It's not easy to become a law, is it?

BILL:
No!

But how I hope and pray that I will,
MAN:

He signed you, Bill Now you're a law!
BILL:

Oh yes!!!

http://www.jacksheldon.com/school.htm

Last edited:
danarhea said:
[/I]Define annoy.

I missed that, but it goes on to define it, when it continues, threatens, abuse, and harass. To me, annoy and harass are really the same thing, I assume it's up to the court, or a jury to define "annoy", if you're suggesting that anyone can be charged with this, you're probably right. One already only needs go down to the court house, swear out a warrant, and have you arrested, I don't see what is changed by this law.:confused:

Deegan said:
I missed that, but it goes on to define it, when it continues, threatens, abuse, and harass. To me, annoy and harass are really the same thing, I assume it's up to the court, or a jury to define "annoy", if you're suggesting that anyone can be charged with this, you're probably right. One already only needs go down to the court house, swear out a warrant, and have you arrested, I don't see what is changed by this law.:confused:

Not exactly. Annoy is a lot different than harrass. Here is an example:

1) You and I have gone at each other for over a year now. Clearly we are not harrassing each other.

2) Sometimes we have annoyed the crap out of each other. <RUH ROH> We are busted.

3) Here we are in prison doing a 2 year stretch for annoying each other over the internet. Unfortunately, we become cell mates. The story picks up from here:

Danarhea: Hey Deegan, am I annoying you yet?

** Kicks Deegan in the groin. Deegans balls go bouncing down the cellblock hall **

Deegan: Yea, that was damned annoying, but not as much as this.

** punches Danarhea in the face. Danarhea's nose goes flying out the window of the cell into the yard, where it lands on a basketball court and is immediately squished by a sneaker worn by an inmate who is on his way to scoring a slam dunk **

And so the debate between the 2 continues, but dont worry, folks. Lucky for them that they are only annoying each other in real life now, and since the law against annoying only applies to the internet, no more time will be added to their sentences. Both Deegan and Danarhea will be out in time for Christmas 2007, when they will have the opportunity to *debate other issues.

* Betting on World Series outcomes is excluded

:2razz:

danarhea said:
Not exactly. Annoy is a lot different than harrass. Here is an example:

1) You and I have gone at each other for over a year now. Clearly we are not harrassing each other.

2) Sometimes we have annoyed the crap out of each other. <RUH ROH> We are busted.

3) Here we are in prison doing a 2 year stretch for annoying each other over the internet. Unfortunately, we become cell mates. The story picks up from here:

Danarhea: Hey Deegan, am I annoying you yet?

** Kicks Deegan in the groin. Deegans balls go bouncing down the cellblock hall **

Deegan: Yea, that was damned annoying, but not as much as this.

** punches Danarhea in the face. Danarhea's nose goes flying out the window of the cell into the yard, where it lands on a basketball court and is immediately squished by a sneaker worn by an inmate who is on his way to scoring a slam dunk **

And so the debate between the 2 continues, but dont worry, folks. Lucky for them that they are only annoying each other in real life now, and since the law against annoying only applies to the internet, no more time will be added to their sentences. Both Deegan and Danarhea will be out in time for Christmas 2007, when they will have the opportunity to *debate other issues.

* Betting on World Series outcomes is excluded

:2razz:

Like I said Dan, by the by, I had a good laugh at your response:rofl , the law is not clear, but what laws are? Many have loopholes, and almost anyone, save a Kennedy or a Bush, can be brought before a judge. What say you on this, and how does this law, differ from the many passed this year?;)

Deegan said:
Like I said Dan, by the by, I had a good laugh at your response:rofl , the law is not clear, but what laws are? Many have loopholes, and almost anyone, save a Kennedy or a Bush, can be brought before a judge. What say you on this, and how does this law, differ from the many passed this year?;)

Annoying is so subjective. What one person finds annoying, another finds fascinating. There's no arguing murder or theft or assault. But whether something is annoying depends completely on who is being annoyed. The law should be cut and dry, not different for different people.

Deegan said:

Hmmm.... You think you could agree that the ABA might have lobbied to have the undefinable wording inserted in the bill? LOL.

I like the core of this bill, TO PROTECT WOMEN FROM STALKERS, the rest will play it's self out, I just thought I would play devil's advocate.;)

Hey Navy Pride... is anybody knocking on the door yet? :2wave:

KCConservative said:
prohibiting the posting of annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

Sounds good to me.

So what's your name then KC? :roll:
Don't answer that.

hipsterdufus said:
So what's your name then KC? :roll:
Don't answer that.

Ha ha. That's kind of funny. :lol:

Come on folks, we all know that the internet can be a tool of mass destruction, and can be used to be a way of hurting others, or why would we have moderators?:confused:

I DEMAND ATTENTION GOD DAMNIT NOW STAND AND REVEL IN THE FUNNY THAT IS I:

Re: Annoy Someone On The Web - Go To Jail

hipsterdufus said:

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...3-6022491.html
Me which was either ignored or overlooked said:
The executive branch now writes legislation???

Someone needs a refresher course in American Government, maybe you should listen to School House Rock's take on the subject:

Three-Ring Government

People will say it's a fine one, son.
People will come from miles around.
Lions, tigers, acrobats, and jugglers and clowns galore,
Tightrope walkers, pony riders, elephants, and so much more...

Guess I got the idea right here at school.
Felt like a fool when they called my name,
Talkin[ about the government and how it's arranged,
Divided in three like a circus.
Ring one, Executive,
Ring three, Judiciary.

Step right up and visit ring number one.
The show's just begun. Meet the President.
I am here to see that the laws get done.
The ringmaster of the government.

On with the show!

Hurry, hurry, hurry to ring number two.
See what they do in the Congress.
Passin' laws and juggling bills,
Oh, it's quite a thrill in the Congress.
Focus your attention on ring number three.
The Judiciary's in the spotlight.
The courts take the law and they tame the crimes
Balancing the wrongs with your rights.

No one part can be
more powerful than any other is.
Each controls the other you see,
and that's what we call checks and balances.

Well, everybody's act is part of the show.
And no one's job is more important.
The audience is kinda like the country you know,
Keeping and eye on their performance.

Ring one, Executive,
Ring three, Judiciary.

Gonna have a three-ring circus someday.
People will say it's a fine one son,
But until I get it, I'll do my thing
With government. It's got three rings.

and now you know and what is knowing?

http://www.school-house-rock.com/Thre.html

I'm Just a Bill

Boy:

Whew! You sure gotta climb a lot of steps to get to this Capitol Building here in Washington. But I wonder who that sad little scrap of paper is?

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law some day
At least I hope and pray that I will

Boy:
Gee, Bill, you certainly have a lot of patience and courage.

BILL:
Well, I got this far. When I started I wasn't even a bill, I was just an idea. Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed, so they called their local Congressman, and he said, "You're right, there oughta be a law." Then he sat down and wrote me out and introduced me to Congress. And I became a bill, and I'll remain a bill until they decide to make me a law.

I'm just a bill
Yes I'm only a bill,
And I got as far as Capitol Hill.
Well, now I'm stuck in committee
And I'll sit here and wait
While a few key Congressmen discuss and debate
Whether they should let me be a law.
How I hope and pray that they will,

Boy:

Listen to those Congressmen arguing! Is all that discussion and debate about you.
BILL:

Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones. Most bills never even get this far. I hope they decide toreport on me favorably, otherwise I may die.
Boy:

Die?
BILL:

Yeah, die in committee. Ooh, but it looks like I'm gonna live! NOW I go to the House of Representatives, and they vote on me.

Boy:

if they vote yes, what happens?
BILL:

Then I go to the Senate and the whole thing starts all over again.
Boy:

Oh no!

BILL:

Oh yes!
I'm just a bill
Yes, I'm only a bill
And if they vote for me on Capitol Hill
Well, then I'm off to the White House
Where I'll wait in a line
With a lot of other bills
For the president to sign
And if he signs me, then I'll be a law.
HOW I hope and pray that he will,

Boy:
You mean even if the whole Congress says you should be a law, the president can still say no?

BILL:
Yes, that's called a veto. If the president vetoes me, I have to go back to Congress and they vote on me again, and by that time you're so old ...

Boy:
By that time it's very unlikely that you'll become a law. It's not easy to become a law, is it?

BILL:
No!

But how I hope and pray that I will,
MAN:

He signed you, Bill Now you're a law!
BILL:

Oh yes!!!

http://www.jacksheldon.com/school.htm

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I DEMAND ATTENTION GOD DAMNIT NOW STAND AND REVEL IN THE FUNNY THAT IS I

Re: Annoy Someone On The Web - Go To Jail

Bush signed it into law, Specter was one of the bill's sponsers.
Conjunction Junction, what the hell is your function?

hipsterdufus said:
Bush signed it into law, Specter was one of the bill's sponsers.
Conjunction Junction, what the hell is your function?

Congress still wrote the Bill so it's hardly Bush's doing and correct me if I'm wrong but Bush hasn't vetoed any Bill's as of yet has he?

God-damn these f_cking c_ck-suckers in Washington! All I want is for government to stay the hell out of my daily life. That's all.

Back
Top Bottom