• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Anne Rice renounces Christianity

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Editorial here.

Novelist Anne Rice's surprise post last week on Facebook — she announced she had quit Christianity "in the name of Christ" because she'd seen too much hypocrisy — brought cheers and smug smiles from critics of institutional faith, and criticism and soul-searching among believers.

But there's something more at play here than one of America's most famous Catholics — Rice re-embraced the faith of her youth in 1998 and published a memoir just two years ago, "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" — walking away from the church.

Rice is merely one of millions of Americans who have opted out of organized religion in recent years, making the unaffiliated category of faith the fastest-growing "religion" in America, according to a 2008 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

I'm one of the unaffiliated.

I'd already lost interest in her at the time she adopted Christianity awhile back.
She hasn't written a decent book since The Witching Hour.
As for all this religious nonsense, I think she's just going through a mid-life crisis or something.

A remarkably and overtly biased article... no surprise given the author.

William Lobdell, a former Times staff writer, is the author of "Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America — and Found Unexpected Peace."

Let's check the list...

1. Take a biased position.
2. Act as if your assumptions, speculation and bias are fact.
3. Quote only surveys and polls that support your position.
4. Come to a unbalanced conclusion based on 1-3.

Yup.

Pls note that I am referring to the author, not the poster.

I'd also note that Anne Rice left the Catholic Church.... it doesn't sound like she left Christianity itself, necessarily.

Last edited:

I'm not saying I agree with the OP, but if it's so biased, do you have other evidence to contradict what the editorial says, other than your say so?

A remarkably and overtly biased article... no surprise given the author.

Let's check the list...

4. Come to a unbalanced conclusion based on 1-3.

Yup.

Pls note that I am referring to the author, not the poster.

I'd also note that Anne Rice left the Catholic Church.... it doesn't sound like she left Christianity itself, necessarily.

So, you would expect who, exactly, to write an article critical of religion? Billy Graham?

Why not research the opposing view yourself and show us how wrong he is? It should be a simple process for you. Since you seem so certain, you must have some specific information in mind.

Meh, I can't get excited about this at all. Renouncing organized religion because it collides with your personal values isn't news, it is common sense. If you honestly believe your God wants you to be unhappy, being untrue to yourself so that you can fit into the professed values of a Church, then you worship a pretty sadistic God.

So, you would expect who, exactly, to write an article critical of religion? Billy Graham?

Why not research the opposing view yourself and show us how wrong he is? It should be a simple process for you. Since you seem so certain, you must have some specific information in mind.

And then I could have the joy of taking on the half-dozen mouth-foaming militant atheists that are presently sharpening their butcher knives in anticipation... no, thanks. I'm tired of this ****.

And then I could have the joy of taking on the half-dozen mouth-foaming militant atheists that are presently sharpening their butcher knives in anticipation... no, thanks. I'm tired of this ****.

We sure are scary monsters apparently. Boogaloo boogie boogie boo!!!

We sure are scary monsters apparently. Boogaloo boogie boogie boo!!!

More like boringly predictable... and tedious.

Editorial here.

Novelist Anne Rice's surprise post last week on Facebook — she announced she had quit Christianity "in the name of Christ" because she'd seen too much hypocrisy — brought cheers and smug smiles from critics of institutional faith, and criticism and soul-searching among believers.

But there's something more at play here than one of America's most famous Catholics — Rice re-embraced the faith of her youth in 1998 and published a memoir just two years ago, "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" — walking away from the church.

Rice is merely one of millions of Americans who have opted out of organized religion in recent years, making the unaffiliated category of faith the fastest-growing "religion" in America, according to a 2008 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

I'm one of the unaffiliated.

Don't you think she is probably one of the unaffiliated as well? This doesn't necessarily make her a non Christian, as the article seems to indicate. Do you think the Bible is more supportive of her position, or the church's?

If you renounce Christianity because of what you see other people doing or saying, it sounds like you weren't really a true believer to begin with.

This is no big deal.

If you don't believe in the basics of Christianity then you don't believe.

:shrug:

If you renounce Christianity because of what you see other people doing or saying, it sounds like you weren't really a true believer to begin with.

Strictly speaking she didn't renounce Christianity, but rather the institutions built up to represent it. But aside from that, how do think the notion, "by their fruits shall ye know them" applies to this?

I'm not a militant atheist. I was just asking you to back up what you said??

Geeze... touchy.

Off-topic, but I must say, Ms. Rice has aged into a beautiful older woman.
For awhile there she was looking god-awful; or should I say "goth awful", trying to appeal to her fan base by attempting to disguise herself as a teenage goth chick even when she was well into her 40s.

She looks lovely now.

Yes, she is lovely. But it is something about her on the inside, I do honestly think. Which isn't completely off topic.

I think *my guess is that* an awful lot of Christians are fed up with organized religion, hence the stats in the article. Every once in awhile the verse about 'forsaking not the assembling of the brethren' will fly through my head, or I will genuinely miss having a church family. This moment will inevitably be followed by all the memories I have of what it was really like, and I go on with my life. Nothing like an anxiety attack to keep you out of the building. :)

Meh who cares about celebrity gossip

She's not a celebrity anymore than Sir Terry Pratchett is. Or Stephen King, or a host of other practically invisible but well-known authors.

Meh who cares about sort-of-celebrity gossip.

I read that as "I'm a christian, and believe it, but the churches have strayed from the path".

A denouncement of organized religion really, and pronouncement of true christianity.

Jesus hated religion too.

"This is true religion, to care after the fatherless and widows" - James

With "God Hates Fags" type churches (75 members with a profound affect), I don't want to be associated with organized christianity anymore either.

We need Jesus to return, all of this blows.

I'm not a militant atheist. I was just asking you to back up what you said??

Geeze... touchy.

Sorry Orion, I actually didn't mean you. While we disagree often, you're usually a reasonable fellow.

Back
Top Bottom