• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ankara could let Russia use its Incirlik airbase to fight ISIS – Turkish FM

I saw this as I was wandering around the interwebs today -

This will not end well for Turkey and their relationship with NATO and the EU... if it's even true.

Given the source (RT) it's possible that it's just a propaganda spin.

However, given that Erdogan has been crawling on his knees to Putin following his military shot down the Russian fighter/bomber, it's also possible, given that Obama told him as far as the US and NATO were concerned regarding Russia - YOYO (You're On Your Own). On one hand, I can see how the US wouldn't want to be dragged into an armed conflict with Russia over a shoot-down done by Turkey under questionable circumstances, yet on the other hand, they are a NATO alley, and we have a large and extremely important ongoing operation at Incirlik that is critical to our operations in that region of the world (and has been for decades), not just within Turkey as a NATO alley. Given the heated aggressive actions of Russia toward Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic states and now the Balkans, I just can't see it as acceptable for the US or NATO to sit by and allow this to occur under current treaties and agreements. This may just be Erdogan's way of putting pressure on Obama and NATO to get what he wants from us? I can't tell yet. Either way, it's still a very high stakes gamble on the part of Erdogan.

Anyone heard anything else about this? I can't imagine that the US military would be happy having Russian forces on the same flight line with US assets. The security implications are immense.
The US would pull out of Incirlik before sharing the flight line with the Russians. Our weapons secrecy would be breached. Maybe we should pull out of Turkey completely?

Your OP says it happened...

"However, given that Erdogan has been crawling on his knees to Putin following his military shot down the Russian fighter/bomber,..."

I talked about Turkey shooting down a Russian plane, and he asked me about Russia shooting down a Turkish plane. So, no... I didn't.

Consider yourself reported to mods for name calling

Enjoy

Your education should help you distinguish between calling someone a name and describing the nature of their words. For example, your direct comments called someone an 'amateur' as you mouthed your derision and expressed how that individual wasnt worth your time. That's an 'attack'.
It's also an interesting tack to take considering you are commenting on a website full of people expressing opinions as amateurs and even MORE telling that you express how much YOU know better than the direct spoken words of a Turkish ambassador that was actually being quoted. For some reason I missed your cited by-line.

I hadn't heard about that. Somehow I doubt any Chinese or Turkish air defense missile system is in the same league as what this country has.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom