• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Angry furloughed federal workers protest shutdown at the White House, around the country

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'm actually surprised it took so long, but you can only survive so long on pride without pay

Hundreds of furloughed government workers and contractors descended on the White House on Thursday to plead to be allowed to return to work.

Holding signs such as "Stop the war on workers" and "We want work, not walls," the protesters assembled in the bitter cold outside of AFL-CIO union headquarters before making their way to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Angry furloughed federal workers protest shutdown at the White House, around the country

In 5... 4... 3... a Trump tweet calling for them to be fired while the "others support him in this shutdown."

Somebody should give them a map to the capital building where Congress convenes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Why Congress? Trump owns the shutdown, not them. We even have him saying that on camera, out of his own mouth.

These people obviously aren't stupid and heard his own words.

Somebody should give them a map to the capital building where Congress convenes

Trump owned the shutdown and the turtle McConnell will not bring to a vote anything that his master TRUMP doesn't approve of. So no, Trump owns this shut down. Trump could very easily tell McConnell to put to a vote the house bill and it would pass. If Trump vetoes it, the shutdown is still on Trump and the senate can override the veto.

It’s disgusting

800,000 federal workers will not receive their paycheck today.

This begins the exponential federal worker/GOP pressure on Trump to stop acting like a petulant spoiled child and sign CRs to fund the government.

The GOP will break with Trump after a few more weeks of this if not sooner. A Trump declared "national emergency" will be in court faster than you can say restraining order.

If Trump can use the "national emergency" Congressional workaround, then so will Democrats in 2020 re: climate change, healthcare, etc.

I'm actually surprised it took so long, but you can only survive so long on pride without pay

They won't lose one cent from the shut down!

Trump promises to pay federal workers after shutdown

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424835-president-trump-promises-to-pay-federal-workers-after-shutdown

President Trump has promised Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine (Va.) that he will sign a bill providing backpay to federal workers once the government shutdown, which has stretched 20 days, finally ends.

The Senate passed by unanimous consent legislation Thursday evening providing that federal workers — essential and furloughed employees — will be paid once the shutdown is over.

Federal employees are due to miss paychecks Friday, which has caused consternation in the Washington, DC, region.

Trump made his pledge in a phone call with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) as part of an effort to work out a deal to adjourn the Senate this week.

Kaine, who represents thousands of federal workers in Northern Virginia, threatened to block the adjournment resolution unless GOP leaders provided some assurance that they would be taken care of for time and paychecks missed because of the shutdown.

True, and yet you people have been whining for 3 weeks how these people were already devastated, but yet, this is the FIRST paycheck they won't receive...

This is now shifting from the President's claim that he would own the shutdown for border security, to democrats who only want to represent the non citizen over the citizen...I'd be pissed if I were you guys.

This begins the exponential federal worker/GOP pressure on Trump to stop acting like a petulant spoiled child and sign CRs to fund the government.

The GOP will break with Trump after a few more weeks of this if not sooner. A Trump declared "national emergency" will be in court faster than you can say restraining order.

If Trump can use the "national emergency" Congressional workaround, then so will Democrats in 2020 re: climate change, healthcare, etc.

Yep, Healthcare and Climate Change are big things a Dem president could then declare a "National Emergency" for. And no, I don't agree with them doing that just as I don't believe Trump should declare a National Emergency for a wall.

True, and yet you people have been whining for 3 weeks how these people were already devastated, but yet, this is the FIRST paycheck they won't receive...

This is now shifting from the President's claim that he would own the shutdown for border security, to democrats who only want to represent the non citizen over the citizen...I'd be pissed if I were you guys.

Not wanting a wall does not equate to caring about the non citizen over the citizen. Sorry, there are better ways to combat illegal immigration. You guys are just pissed that you can't get your way now that a Dem House is in order. Blame your "leader" Trump for not getting a Republican House and Republican Senate for TWO YEARS to be able to pass what he wanted. Talk about poor leadership :lamo

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424835-president-trump-promises-to-pay-federal-workers-after-shutdown

President Trump has promised Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine (Va.) that he will sign a bill providing backpay to federal workers once the government shutdown, which has stretched 20 days, finally ends.

The Senate passed by unanimous consent legislation Thursday evening providing that federal workers — essential and furloughed employees — will be paid once the shutdown is over.

Federal employees are due to miss paychecks Friday, which has caused consternation in the Washington, DC, region.

Trump made his pledge in a phone call with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) as part of an effort to work out a deal to adjourn the Senate this week.

Kaine, who represents thousands of federal workers in Northern Virginia, threatened to block the adjournment resolution unless GOP leaders provided some assurance that they would be taken care of for time and paychecks missed because of the shutdown.

They're lucky I'm not President....These people get a vacation and will be paid for not being there....Sweet deal...Now, those that are working without checks, should get their money, but those that are part of the SOA (sit on ass) brigade during this, should have filed unemployment, and taken advantage of the social service state they have created to get by....Then when it's over, get back to work.

Yep, Healthcare and Climate Change are big things a Dem president could then declare a "National Emergency" for. And no, I don't agree with them doing that just as I don't believe Trump should declare a National Emergency for a wall.

Its always the 31st thing that causes people to say, "hey, maybe this unfettered power is bad".

Not wanting a wall does not equate to caring about the non citizen over the citizen. Sorry, there are better ways to combat illegal immigration. You guys are just pissed that you can't get your way now that a Dem House is in order. Blame your "leader" Trump for not getting a Republican House and Republican Senate for TWO YEARS to be able to pass what he wanted. Talk about poor leadership :lamo

Yep, Ryan, and McConnell were horrible, and should have done better...But, representing the non citizen over the citizen is exactly who the democrats are today.

They're lucky I'm not President....These people get a vacation and will be paid for not being there....Sweet deal...Now, those that are working without checks, should get their money, but those that are part of the SOA (sit on ass) brigade during this, should have filed unemployment, and taken advantage of the social service state they have created to get by....Then when it's over, get back to work.

Plus those working can get bridge loans from their credit unions.

I don't recall government workers crying a river when public sector employees get laid off.

Yep, Ryan, and McConnell were horrible, and should have done better...But, representing the non citizen over the citizen is exactly who the democrats are today.

Nope, the Dems aren't representing the non citizen over the citizen. I don't want the wasteful wall that is only useful to Trump's ego and the Dem house is doing exactly what I elected them to do, hold Trump accountable.

Credit Card Interest still gets accrued, Mortgage interest still gets accrued, car loan interest still gets accrued, so to say they won't lose one cent not only shows your ignorance and lack of compassion but why Trump supporters are out of touch with reality. But then you and other Trump supporters have always HATED federal workers, so this is what you like.

Beginning today, FBI agents, Border Patrol officers, and air traffic controllers join the increasingly crowded ranks of unpaid federal workers.

Remember how the government has farmed out so much work to private contractors? I don't see them specifically mentioned in the back-pay article. They are typically hourly - not salaried and didn't get to work the hours. I hope they are included.

Credit Card Interest still gets accrued, Mortgage interest still gets accrued, car loan interest still gets accrued, so to say they won't lose one cent not only shows your ignorance and lack of compassion. but then you and other Trump supporters have always HATED federal workers.

Full of hate and nonsense as usual!! Babble some where else please. They will get every cent that is owed them. Right?

Credit Card Interest still gets accrued, Mortgage interest still gets accrued, car loan interest still gets accrued, so to say they won't lose one cent not only shows your ignorance and lack of compassion but why Trump supporters are out of touch with reality. But then you and other Trump supporters have always HATED federal workers, so this is what you like.

What you say is true but avoidable with modest savings capable of paying one to two month's bills. When the shutdown ends then replenish the savings account balance.

Yep, Ryan, and McConnell were horrible, and should have done better...

And Trump also. He should have taken the DACA deal in early 2018 for his wall funding. He would already have the $25 billion.

The "great negotiator" has painted himself into a political corner with no off ramp other than funding the government and negotiating border security.

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

Trump owned the shutdown and the turtle McConnell will not bring to a vote anything that his master TRUMP doesn't approve of. So no, Trump owns this shut down. Trump could very easily tell McConnell to put to a vote the house bill and it would pass. If Trump vetoes it, the shutdown is still on Trump and the senate can override the veto.
Democrats could pass the bill that the house passed in December. If they had done that then there would of never been a shutdown

Back
Top Bottom