• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anecdotal Observations on Re-opening where YOU live

code1211

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Here in Indianapolis, it's pretty annoying how much we are re-opening.

In the recent past, June and July, I needed about 20 minutes to drive from my home to the home of my Brother in Law.

Yesterday, it consumed about 35 minutes as the traffic was heavier than shut down levels and seemed congested by my memory to levels I recall from the pre-shut down days.

How are things looking in your where YOU live?

Are things opening up again where you live or are things still locked down tight?

Looks terrible down here in Georgia and I do not need anecdotal observations, we have been making national news all week for ****ing this up.

Colorado is middle of the road as far as cases, so we are not overwhelming our hospitals at this time. Traffic has approached levels seen before the stay at home orders were put into effect. I have seen most people in my county wearing masks when entering businesses, but there are also reports of people having parties, so transmission in our county is currently ranked third in the state.

Kids are headed back to school and college, and I wonder what an impact this will have. Guess we'll find out soon enough, sigh.

For the few weeks San Diego County, where I live, has been on Gov Newsom's **** list because one of our metrics was higher than the level he set. Consequentially, we've been on the "watch list" and have had to clamp down. Indoor businesses such as gyms, barbers, hair and nail salon had to close and no indoor dining was allowed.

Our county supervisors just announced we got into good territory with all metrics a few days ago. If we maintain that for three days we go on "probations" for fourteen days and IF we make it through that schools can do in person education. The supes are going to petition the state for more latitude for reopening. We'll see.

For the few weeks San Diego County, where I live, has been on Gov Newsom's **** list because one of our metrics was higher than the level he set. Consequentially, we've been on the "watch list" and have had to clamp down. Indoor businesses such as gyms, barbers, hair and nail salon had to close and no indoor dining was allowed.

Our county supervisors just announced we got into good territory with all metrics a few days ago. If we maintain that for three days we go on "probations" for fourteen days and IF we make it through that schools can do in person education. The supes are going to petition the state for more latitude for reopening. We'll see.

Hopefully, it will go that way. However, because of our hundred degree heat wave that is supposed to last well into next week, look to the stupid without mask people crowding the beach areas to blow it for them.

Things have been going fairly steady in my general area. From the point where restrictions were put into place, people seemed to handle it fairly well. In all of the times I went out for supplies, I didn't encounter anyone giving staff a hard time, and out on the street most people were wearing face coverings/masks when they were around others. Businesses have done well at managing the amount of people in the stores at any given time, along with clear instructions on how to queue up to pay.

Parks and beaches have been open, and so far people in parks seem to be following protocols most of the time. I'm at the shore now but haven't been to the beach; what I haven't like in the first few hours here is the amount of people congregating without masks. Some of the uptick in cases have been in the shore counties, so if what I've witnessed thus far is any indication of other shore towns, then I can see why.

Here in Indianapolis, it's pretty annoying how much we are re-opening.

In the recent past, June and July, I needed about 20 minutes to drive from my home to the home of my Brother in Law.

Yesterday, it consumed about 35 minutes as the traffic was heavier than shut down levels and seemed congested by my memory to levels I recall from the pre-shut down days.

How are things looking in your where YOU live?

Are things opening up again where you live or are things still locked down tight?

Here in CA, one of the most anti-Trump places on Earth, it's like there never was a lock down, even though we're turning out some of the highest case numbers ever.

Even walking around in town, less than half the people are wearing masks, and the beaches are packed.

Hopefully, it will go that way. However, because of our hundred degree heat wave that is supposed to last well into next week, look to the stupid without mask people crowding the beach areas to blow it for them.

Yeah, I will say my prayers for torrential downpours all labor day weekend to keep folks away from going to the beaches in droves.

Yeah, I will say my prayers for torrential downpours all labor day weekend to keep folks away from going to the beaches in droves.

We should be that lucky to get rain that time of year.
Still, I hope your prayers are answered.

Here in CA, one of the most anti-Trump places on Earth, it's like there never was a lock down, even though we're turning out some of the highest case numbers ever.

Even walking around in town, less than half the people are wearing masks, and the beaches are packed.

Actually many areas of California are have quite a few Trump supporters.

Looks terrible down here in Georgia and I do not need anecdotal observations, we have been making national news all week for ****ing this up.

Is the traffic increasing? My few visits to Georgia have been into the Atlanta area- More specifically, Athens.

Atlanta Traffic seems prone to the same issues as other metropolitan areas.

I'm wondering more about the traffic in February compared to the traffic in May compared to the traffic today.

Just kind of a forward looking indicator.

Colorado is middle of the road as far as cases, so we are not overwhelming our hospitals at this time. Traffic has approached levels seen before the stay at home orders were put into effect. I have seen most people in my county wearing masks when entering businesses, but there are also reports of people having parties, so transmission in our county is currently ranked third in the state.

Are you in one of the cities there? Here in Indiana, we have plenty of cities that have outbreak type number, but Indianapolis, Gary and Ft. Wayne are the Big Dogs.

I heard someone on TV say that Maine had counties with no cases as late as last week. In Indiana, ALL counties have more than 1 case.

Kids are headed back to school and college, and I wonder what an impact this will have. Guess we'll find out soon enough, sigh.

The impact on younger folks seems to be very slight.

Half of the deaths here in Indiana occur in elderly care facilities. 90% of deaths occur in the age demographics older than 60 years.

It seems like applying the same congregating restrictions to all age demographics is a departure from "the science".

One thing seems certain: Our country has never been cleaner and more hygienic. So, there's that...

It feels like the restrictions we ALL suffer are intended to blunt the impacts suffered by a very identifiable and a very select group of victims.

Do you know if the affected groups in California in general and in San Diego in specific are killing all age demographics equally or does the virus kill according to age just like everywhere else?

Among other things, I'm wondering why a virus that pretty much bounces off of kids and people younger than age 20 has caused the schools to shut down.

Again, it FEELS like the groups we need to protect are the folks aged 60 and up. The folks aged 59 and younger seem to be less vulnerable to the deadly effects of this.

The death toll nationally for the groups in the age demographics younger than 59 seem to be way under 20,000.

I'm wondering if the shut downs affecting businesses and schools are lifting in view of the now plentiful data or if the shut downs are continuing due to other stuff.

Are the "the stupid without mask people" suffering increased cases or increased deaths or both where you live?

The elderly seem to be the folks around the country with the targets on their backs and beach goers seem to usually be younger. At least, younger folks are who they featured in the old travel brochures.

Featuring ancient people with saggy, crepe skin clad scantily on the "Welcome to California" signs might carry a negative impact on the general impression of the life style. ;)

Things have been going fairly steady in my general area. From the point where restrictions were put into place, people seemed to handle it fairly well. In all of the times I went out for supplies, I didn't encounter anyone giving staff a hard time, and out on the street most people were wearing face coverings/masks when they were around others. Businesses have done well at managing the amount of people in the stores at any given time, along with clear instructions on how to queue up to pay.

Parks and beaches have been open, and so far people in parks seem to be following protocols most of the time. I'm at the shore now but haven't been to the beach; what I haven't like in the first few hours here is the amount of people congregating without masks. Some of the uptick in cases have been in the shore counties, so if what I've witnessed thus far is any indication of other shore towns, then I can see why.

Do you have a general impression of activity increasing to normal in your area or staying slower than usual?

Case numbers will increase with increased testing. Regardless of the number of tests, assuming consistent methodologies, the death counts should show a more reliable measure to compare.

If the traffic is increasing since May, then the general feelings of the public seem to be adjusting to the various restrictions and Phased opening measures.

In spite of the shrieking media and the political posturing, the people seem to be voting with their individual responses.

This virus is an odd one. Sunlight kills it, but not fast enough to prevent an increase in case counts.

Torrential downpours might be a thing that helps with the spread. Puddles give rise to some insects. It might do funny things with this virus as well.

It seems almost like this was bred to act in novel, unexpected ways. The seeming targeting of the older demographics alone seems odd.

We should be that lucky to get rain that time of year.
Still, I hope your prayers are answered.

We are having rain, thunder and lightning as we speak. WTH? We are in the middle of a heat wave !!!

I told God - Labor Day weekend.

Actually many areas of California are have quite a few Trump supporters.

It might just be that they stand out when spotted because they are so rare.

For instance, a guy dressed up as a clown in a Congressional hearing should stand out. That might be a bad example... ;)

This virus is an odd one. Sunlight kills it, but not fast enough to prevent an increase in case counts.

Torrential downpours might be a thing that helps with the spread. Puddles give rise to some insects. It might do funny things with this virus as well.

It seems almost like this was bred to act in novel, unexpected ways. The seeming targeting of the older demographics alone seems odd.

Naw just 3 days of torrential downpours over Labor day weekend.

The funny thing is that I made that statement tongue in cheek. We are in the middle of a significant heat wave (significant for SF Bay Area:lol:) We are having rain, thunder and lightning as we speak.:lamo

Naw just 3 days of torrential downpours over Labor day weekend.

The funny thing is that I made that statement tongue in cheek. We are in the middle of a significant heat wave (significant for SF Bay Area:lol:) We are having rain, thunder and lightning as we speak.:lamo

San Francisco is a pretty rainy place in my imagination. I've never been there, though. As I write this, it seems odd that I've missed it all these years.

Between the various TV shows, news reports, the Golden Gate Bridge in all of the movies, the World Series earth quake and so forth, it feels like I've been there...

In San Diego and LA, beach going seems like a part of the publicized culture. Is it also true of the SF Bay Area? The only really famous swimming there is the Alcatraz Escape Attempts.

It might just be that they stand out when spotted because they are so rare.

For instance, a guy dressed up as a clown in a Congressional hearing should stand out. That might be a bad example... ;)

Not rare in in California. Just not the majority. (I think 30 or 40 percent voted for Trump - not insignificant, not rare)

My ex and his family are all in for Trump. Now. my specific area is pretty friggen blue, although my city had a Republican Mayor.

The reality is that areas that had strong Republican roots (OC for example) are losing votes in this Trump Toxic atmosphere. Trumps toxic rhetoric may be well accepted by Republicans in many areas of the country, it is leaving a bad taste for others.

Back
Top Bottom