• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Andrea Leadsom quits race for Conservative leadership

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=3]BREAKINGLeadsom pulls out of Tory contest[/h]
Posted at12:16​
Andrea Leadsom withdraws from the Conservative leadership race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120.

Caught lying over her "mother" comments so she's now quit. This means Theresa may should be installed pretty quick and David Cameron will go sooner than expected.

May also mean Article 50 will be started sooner than the January date some Brexit people were going for..

I'm finally beginning to make sense of the term "running" for office. It's all down to a simple spelling mistake in the preposition.

Should be "from"

~ Should be "from"

Remember Andalublue's article on how Cameron had foiled the Brexit plan by resigning and passing the chalice on? It's coming to pass.

Favourite line so far today "I wonder why nobody wants to manage Brexit, or the England football team."

Mind you, the 1922 committee is determined to hold the election anyway even if there is only one name to choose.

Would be funny (not) if the membership all spoiled their ballots..................

Remember Andalublue's article on how Cameron had foiled the Brexit plan by resigning and passing the chalice on? It's coming to pass.

Favourite line so far today "I wonder why nobody wants to manage Brexit, or the England football team."

Mind you, the 1922 committee is determined to hold the election anyway even if there is only one name to choose.

Would be funny (not) if the membership all spoiled their ballots..................
You're probably aware of it anyway, yet large parts of the "continent" (certainly Spanish, French and German friends of mine that comment) are wondering how the hell EU could ever work even as badly as it's doing, with such an idiot member a part of it.

Comment being made to me in a joshing manner of course but one of them well acquainted with English culture, sayings and songs has pointed out that down here it's actually NOT the dogs that go out in the midday sun. :mrgreen:

I'm finally beginning to make sense of the term "running" for office. It's all down to a simple spelling mistake in the preposition.

Should be "from"

True. The last of the "brave" *cough* out campaigners...

This is a coup d'etat pure and simple. The little democracy that there was in the Tory election process has been pissed up and down on. If May is put in Nr. 10 before there is a vote among the Tory membership... then frankly the UK has turned into a borderline dictatorship. We went from 0.0002% of the population choosing the leader of the country, to 0.000000000001%...

But I suspect that Leadsom has been set up. She comes from a minority part of the party and the big backers are with May. I suspect it is not coincidence that it was the Times that "killed off Leadsom"... Murdoch is a big May supporter from what I understand. In the end the pressure from the big Tory backers in the financial industry and other industries might have pushed this coup d'etat because waiting til end of the year to end the uncertainty would be bad for Britain.

Coup complete.. she will be place by Wednesday night... un-elected by her party and the people... cant be more dictator than that.

This is a coup d'etat pure and simple. The little democracy that there was in the Tory election process has been pissed up and down on. If May is put in Nr. 10 before there is a vote among the Tory membership... then frankly the UK has turned into a borderline dictatorship. We went from 0.0002% of the population choosing the leader of the country, to 0.000000000001%...

But I suspect that Leadsom has been set up. She comes from a minority part of the party and the big backers are with May. I suspect it is not coincidence that it was the Times that "killed off Leadsom"... Murdoch is a big May supporter from what I understand. In the end the pressure from the big Tory backers in the financial industry and other industries might have pushed this coup d'etat because waiting til end of the year to end the uncertainty would be bad for Britain.

What's really fueling this Brexit business is Englanders tired of seeing their wages drop and see an EU that's A-OK with that happening. It's pretty simple, really.

What's really fueling this Brexit business is Englanders tired of seeing their wages drop and see an EU that's A-OK with that happening. It's pretty simple, really.

First off.. It is British, not Englanders.
Second of all, wages up or down has absolutely nothing to do with the EU. Policy on this area is a national issue.

And chances are now that Brexit wont even happen.... in all this news today, a small but significant thing went over the wires.. Governments lawyers have said that the referendum was indeed non binding, and the Houses of Parliament have to vote on it... we shall see if that will be a free vote or not.

First off.. It is British, not Englanders.
Second of all, wages up or down has absolutely nothing to do with the EU. Policy on this area is a national issue.

And chances are now that Brexit wont even happen.... in all this news today, a small but significant thing went over the wires.. Governments lawyers have said that the referendum was indeed non binding, and the Houses of Parliament have to vote on it... we shall see if that will be a free vote or not.

The driving force was Englanders and Welsh seeing immigration driving down their wages. If you mix high immigration numbers with an immigration arrangement that binds the immigrant to the employer, you will drive down pay rates. I'm active on this issue. Attacking the immigration arrangement is easier because it's not perceived as racist. That's why US Senator Ted Cruz proposed a $110K minimum salary for H1B IT workers.

PM designate May says Brexit will happen. There will be rebellion in England and Wales if the immigration influx isn't solved. Brexit or no Brexit, the UK borders will have to be controlled.

Last edited:
The driving force was Englanders and Welsh seeing immigration driving down their wages. If you mix high immigration numbers with an immigration arrangement that binds the immigrant to the employer, you will drive down pay rates. .....~
You still seem to miss the issue (already pointed out) of UK wages having nothing to do with the the EU or, better said, the EU having no say in it.

The driving force was Englanders and Welsh seeing immigration driving down their wages.

Again British.. But immigration does not drive wages down. Minimum wage laws have to be upheld by immigrants as well. That Brits are not willing or qualified to work for minimum wage is not the fault of the EU or the immigrants.

If you mix high immigration numbers with an immigration arrangement that binds the immigrant to the employer, you will drive down pay rates.

This is Europe.. there is no "arrangement" that binds the immigrant to the employer. The only place this happens in Europe is in the illegal aspects of society and again that cant be blamed on the EU. The national governments should do more to hit down on sex slaves and such.

I'm active on this issue. Attacking the immigration arrangement is easier because it's not perceived as racist.

It is racist and xenophobic.. it is the classic scapegoat tactic used by Hitler to Pope Urban II in 1095.

That's why US Senator Ted Cruz proposed a $110K minimum salary for H1B IT workers.

And what on earth does US rules have to do with the UK?

Again British.. But immigration does not drive wages down. Minimum wage laws have to be upheld by immigrants as well. That Brits are not willing or qualified to work for minimum wage is not the fault of the EU or the immigrants.

This is Europe.. there is no "arrangement" that binds the immigrant to the employer. The only place this happens in Europe is in the illegal aspects of society and again that cant be blamed on the EU. The national governments should do more to hit down on sex slaves and such.

It is racist and xenophobic.. it is the classic scapegoat tactic used by Hitler to Pope Urban II in 1095.

And what on earth does US rules have to do with the UK?

I deal with this issue first hand. Unwillingness to work with Indians puts many Texans (for example) on the unemployment line. Personally, I tolerate the thick accents and have learned to attack in ways that are "allowed". The worst is the "obedience culture", many Indian heavy departments never question the boss, they just let broken systems stay broken. This creates the demand that the whole department adopt that "obedience culture". On Americanized Indian taught me to just stand back and wait for catastrophe, THEN step in to the rescue. There's got to be a better way to run a company. It makes sense that people would resent having a foreign way of doing things forced upon them. Brexit might possibly be avoided, but the Brexit voters won't stand for being ignored. I say Englanders because England is the heart of the Brexit movement (and to a lesser extent, Wales).

This is a coup d'etat pure and simple ~

Very melodramatic Pete, there have been several PMs who inherited the post without having to win an election.

toryleadershipgraphic.jpg

Most notably Winston Churchill

The driving force was Englanders and Welsh seeing immigration driving down their wages. If you mix high immigration numbers with an immigration arrangement that binds the immigrant to the employer, you will drive down pay rates. I'm active on this issue. Attacking the immigration arrangement is easier because it's not perceived as racist. That's why US Senator Ted Cruz proposed a $110K minimum salary for H1B IT workers.

PM designate May says Brexit will happen. There will be rebellion in England and Wales if the immigration influx isn't solved. Brexit or no Brexit, the UK borders will have to be controlled.

It's the English SDET, not Englanders. You are right to point out that May is determined that the UK will leave the EU. It will happen. PeteEU is living in his own little Danish Remain La La Land so you can certainly call him a Lalalander if you wish.

And that does not make it better... especially considering what May said about Brown becoming PM back in the day..

True but there's no constitutional or political requirement for May to call a general election.

True but there's no constitutional or political requirement for May to call a general election.

No, there isn't, but in political terms it might be significant. Brown's failure to call an election in 2008 was politically significant in his defeat in 2010. If Brexit negotiations go badly, she may regret not striking while she's still enjoying a honeymoon period. Who genuinely believes the Brexit negotiations are going to satisfy all those enthusiastic Brexiteers, or deliver the UK a deal that avoids an economic downturn?

~ Who genuinely believes the Brexit negotiations are going to satisfy all those enthusiastic Brexiteers, or deliver the UK a deal that avoids an economic downturn?

Hardline Brexiteers don't care what happens to the economy at large. This is the bit you won't get the feel for in Spain, you could apply Michael Caine's line in the batman movie "some people just want to watch the world burn" or you could say many at the bottom felt ostracised and that whether London or the globalised middle classes suffered economically they wouldn't feel the impact because there was nothing else for them to lose - that's the feel among many (not all) hardline Brexit people.

Brexit was for a variety of reasons, some hopeful, some to do with immigration but there was a sizeable proportion who want to see change in their lives and local area which they feel is washing past. Look back at my clip from Andrew Marr's program 2 weeks ago - pretty prophetic.

There's no link yet but last night when there was talk of why some areas were so Brexit, there was discussion of how some economists were interviewed on air in Newcastle on Tyne and when someone explained that UK GDP would fall, the cry back was "that's not my GDP, it's yours."

Hardline Brexiteers don't care what happens to the economy at large. This is the bit you won't get the feel for in Spain, you could apply Michael Caine's line in the batman movie "some people just want to watch the world burn" or you could say many at the bottom felt ostracised and that whether London or the globalised middle classes suffered economically they wouldn't feel the impact because there was nothing else for them to lose - that's the feel among many (not all) hardline Brexit people.

Brexit was for a variety of reasons, some hopeful, some to do with immigration but there was a sizeable proportion who want to see change in their lives and local area which they feel is washing past. Look back at my clip from Andrew Marr's program 2 weeks ago - pretty prophetic.

There's no link yet but last night when there was talk of why some areas were so Brexit, there was discussion of how some economists were interviewed on air in Newcastle on Tyne and when someone explained that UK GDP would fall, the cry back was "that's not my GDP, it's yours."

I understand the alienation that brought about the out vote. I'm sure that those uninformed ideas that things cannot get any worse probably drove a lot of people into the Brexit camp. What I think is clear is that the damage yet to be done will make those people revise their opinions. Wait to see what the reaction to Nissan laying off a large proportion of their 6,000 workers in Sunderland will be. Those people who believe the only negative consequences will be to the 'globalised middle class' are going to be raging. Social unrest on an unheard of scale is a real danger when they realise just how badly they have been deceived.

I know, and that alone is a massive democratic problem. We had a similar situation 7 years ago in Denmark, where the then prime minister was chosen to take over NATO. The deputy took over and frankly I was against it then as I am now... despite it was "my party" that was in power. People choose to vote for one party based on the leader of said party. It should not be like that of course but that is how it is for a huge majority of people. Now in the Danish example our PM left so a new one was appointed by the then minority government with the help of the Peoples Party.. fully legal, but historically not exactly kosher. It had never happened before. Historically when a PM resigned for whatever reason, then a new election was held. It was absolutely disgusting and anti-democratic, which was later seen when at the next election the party lost power to the left... despite a massive dirty tricks campaign... something that was never seen in Danish politics before.

I just dont see how we as supposed democracies can accept that the politicians replace each other without hearing the people first. People voted in the Conservatives based on Cameron at the helm.. not May or anyone else.

I know, and that alone is a massive democratic problem. We had a similar situation 7 years ago in Denmark, where the then prime minister was chosen to take over NATO. The deputy took over and frankly I was against it then as I am now... despite it was "my party" that was in power.

Wow! I wouldn't have had you down as a Venstre supporter. You live and learn.

Wow! I wouldn't have had you down as a Venstre supporter. You live and learn.

Use to be member of the party and active in the youth wing. Sadly the party is not what it once was.. too influenced by the American right, but that wont make me switch parties just yet. Needs to be an alternative and as long as they keep broadly within the principles that established them, then fine. And no I am no fan of the fool leading them at the moment...

Use to be member of the party and active in the youth wing. Sadly the party is not what it once was.. too influenced by the American right, but that wont make me switch parties just yet. Needs to be an alternative and as long as they keep broadly within the principles that established them, then fine. And no I am no fan of the fool leading them at the moment...

Still wouldn't have you down as a small-government, classic liberal. I'd definitely have guessed you'd vote social democrat.

BTW, what's the difference between the position of Venstre and the Liberal Alliance? On wiki I can't see any ideological difference between them. Is it just about personalities?

Still wouldn't have you down as a small-government, classic liberal. I'd definitely have guessed you'd vote social democrat.

Hell no. Social Democrats should be a banned party in Denmark after they sold us out to the Nazis in 1940. Long story.. interesting one though.
BTW, what's the difference between the position of Venstre and the Liberal Alliance? On wiki I can't see any ideological difference between them. Is it just about personalities?

Thanks for that. Made me finally figure out who they are since they were not around when I last lived in DK.

Like Venstre they believe in lower taxes, personal responsibility and less bureaucracy.. it is just on how you do it that and how far you go ... they use to be a centrist party but now days they are further right than the Conservatives and could be argued the Peoples Party. They are very similar to the GOP in the US on soooo many fronts and that is scary. User paid healthcare system is one of their ideas.. flat tax morons as well. That is a stark contrast to Venstre... they are pro-universal healthcare and present tax system. Only thing they can agree on is lowering taxes, but that aint easy when the population demands so much. Lets put it this way, Liberal Alliance wont every win an election if the people realized that their healthcare was going to be privatized.

There is one guy.. a former danish Olympian called Jochiam B Olsen, who is in many ways the dark sheep of the family. I absolutely hate this guy on so many fronts, as he is more like a GOP from Texas than an actual human being. He is an absolute hypocrite. He wants to cut public spending big time and cut handouts.. problem is, his whole career since before he turned 18 was built on him getting handouts from the Danish state.. His sports career was based on state aid (like most sports are in Denmark), and after that he became a politician.. getting again paid by the state.

They have been one of the backers of the present Venstre government along with the Peoples Party, which means that the PM is walking a tight rope and hence Denmark is becoming more and more right wing. At some point there will be a switch to the other side I suspect.. it always happens, usually every 10 years. But at the moment it seems the PM is doing the across the centre thing when it comes to most legislation.. which is not a bad thing to be honest.

Lets put it this way... if Liberal Alliance had stuck to its roots then maybe they would be an alternative to Venstre, but they did not. Atm the main right wing party is the racist xenophobic Peoples Party and that scares the **** out of me.

Back
Top Bottom