• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

And The Favored Status Begins

They dont get provided tampons. Hell I dont think they do, I dunno anymore.
Non-homosexual military couples don't need to travel a long distance to another state to get married, so I'm not sure why gays getting to do so is special treatment. It would be like saying women in the military get special treatment because they're provided tampons and the men aren't.

7 days does seem like a long time though.

The US Department of Defense has announced plans to offer special marriage benefits to same-sex couples—exceeding the benefits currently offered to heterosexual couples.

You might wanna crack AR 600–8–10 Section XVI.

Currenttly PTDY is authorized for married Soldiers to go house hunting in conjunction with a PCS move, for Soldiers to attend civilian education programs, to complete the naturalization process, to participate in Boy Scout functions, and a host of other things.

I see no reason why something like this couldn't, or shouldn't be added to the list.

Besides, this isn't something that heterosexual Soldiers are being deprived of.

All Soldiers are equally authorized to marry someone of the same sex.

If straight Soldiers choose not to take advantage of this whose fault is that?

I don't believe the bride or groom have a "right" to be there either so that is where we differ. Plan your life and your wife around your job.

Well, whatever your opinion, apparently the DoD felt it was appropriate to make the accommodation. It wasn't awarded in court.

Aside from that, I like DoD accommodations that make it possible for servicemen and -women to go through as many of the same life transitions as the rest of us as possible. If the DoD is going to tell you you're stuck digging ditches in the south, I think it's fair to give them extra time to get out of and back into the south so they can get married.

So, don't work for the DOD. They can set their own policies.

Yeah, see, there is this thing people keep yipping about, eh, equality?

So favored that they have to leave the state to marry. Cry more.

The US Department of Defense has announced plans to offer special marriage benefits to same-sex couples—exceeding the benefits currently offered to heterosexual couples.

The Pentagon has said that a member of the armed service will be given 7 days of paid leave to travel to a state that allows same-sex marriage. The benefit will be expanded to 10 days for those serving overseas. This benefit is not available to service members planning heterosexual weddings.

Pentagon plans special bonus for same-sex marriages : News Headlines - Catholic Culture

I have an idea of how to end this ONE special privilege. Legalize same sex marriage across the country and then there will be no need for it. Tah dah! Problem solved.

And I want same sex marriage for the security it would provide my family, not for "equality" or any other such ideological nonsense.

And now that I have seen this thread, I know your true colors. You are one of those social conservatives who tries to pretend to be independent.

Last edited:
I have an idea of how to end this ONE special privilege. Legalize same sex marriage across the country and then there will be no need for it. Tah dah! Problem solved.

And I want same sex marriage for the security it would provide my family, not for "equality" or any other such ideological nonsense.

And now that I have seen this thread, I know your true colors. You are one of those social conservatives who tries to pretend to be independent.

Well you're consistent in your rush to judgement, I'll give you that. See, let me start off by saying I don't believe the government should have any say whatsoever in regards to who can and can't marry. I've started threads and polls stating that plainly. Barring age of consent I say have at it. Polygamy, double your pleasure double your fun. Don't care. Then I'll say what can marriage do for you that a good Estate Lawyer can't? Again, don't care if you wanna get hitched, you I'm sure deserve the trouble and strife just as much as the next man. But if all you're worried about is security, simple estate planning by a good lawyer will do the trick. If you need one I know several. Third, I'm glad you look at ideology as nonsense. Because if you didn't you might be prone to support the US military destroying morale by allowing a certain kind of soldier special privileges in the form of additional leave and prevent those other kind of soldiers who put their ass on the line just the same from enjoying the same benefit. I'm glad you don't hold to any ideological values because you'd be aghast at knowing your tax dollars is affording one particular special class of soldier regardless of rank free money while denying it to other non-special soldiers who put their lives on the line the very same. Glad you've not succumbed to ideological nonsense.

I am a social conservative. Me. I don't ask that you be. I ask that you be you and allow me to be me. I ask for a decentralization which allows those of my kind to congregate and form communities and allows those of your kind to form them as well. I ask for a government which treats you and me as equals. Simply put, I ask for freedom. Social conservatives of the stripe you are accusing me of being do not hold my views. I would also say that I hold many other views that today's conservatives would tuck tail and run at the first sign of. I have not voted for a "conservative candidate" since 2004, voting 3rd party since with the dimwitted exception of Obama in 08. Therefore, I am an Independent.

but you got it all figured out, so...

Well you're consistent in your rush to judgement, I'll give you that. See, let me start off by saying I don't believe the government should have any say whatsoever in regards to who can and can't marry. I've started threads and polls stating that plainly. Barring age of consent I say have at it. Polygamy, double your pleasure double your fun. Don't care. Then I'll say what can marriage do for you that a good Estate Lawyer can't? Again, don't care if you wanna get hitched, you I'm sure deserve the trouble and strife just as much as the next man. But if all you're worried about is security, simple estate planning by a good lawyer will do the trick. If you need one I know several. Third, I'm glad you look at ideology as nonsense. Because if you didn't you might be prone to support the US military destroying morale by allowing a certain kind of soldier special privileges in the form of additional leave and prevent those other kind of soldiers who put their ass on the line just the same from enjoying the same benefit. I'm glad you don't hold to any ideological values because you'd be aghast at knowing your tax dollars is affording one particular special class of soldier regardless of rank free money while denying it to other non-special soldiers who put their lives on the line the very same. Glad you've not succumbed to ideological nonsense.

I am a social conservative. Me. I don't ask that you be. I ask that you be you and allow me to be me. I ask for a decentralization which allows those of my kind to congregate and form communities and allows those of your kind to form them as well. I ask for a government which treats you and me as equals. Simply put, I ask for freedom. Social conservatives of the stripe you are accusing me of being do not hold my views. I would also say that I hold many other views that today's conservatives would tuck tail and run at the first sign of. I have not voted for a "conservative candidate" since 2004, voting 3rd party since with the dimwitted exception of Obama in 08. Therefore, I am an Independent.

but you got it all figured out, so...

I am happy you recognize how unfair it is to treat people differently when they are putting their life on the line so how about we call it backpay for Don't Ask Don't Tell.

If you can find an Estate lawyer who can get my family the same protections a marriage license can at the same cost then I will jump on it but I doubt you know what you are talking about in that regard.

And yes, ideology for the sake of ideology is stupid.

Last edited:
I am happy you recognize how unfair it is to treat people differently when they are putting their life on the line so how about we call it backpay for Don't Ask Don't Tell.

If you can find an Estate lawyer who can get my family the same protections a marriage license can at the same cost then I will jump on it but I doubt you know what you are talking about in that regard.

And yes, ideology for the sake of ideology is stupid.

So because you've been mistreated it is another's turn? That will win the hearts and minds....

I don't need to find one, I have a brother whose scope of practice handles precisely that. I could get it done for free if I so chose, but I don't know what I'm talking about, and besides, you wouldn't want my help, I'm one of "those people"...

and yet you don't seem to realize the irony of your words...

The favored status "begins"? Seriously? It seems like favored status has existed for decades.

Oh, wait...you mean favored status which doesn't benefit the heterosexuals. Now I get it.

Non-homosexual military couples don't need to travel a long distance to another state to get married, so I'm not sure why gays getting to do so is special treatment. It would be like saying women in the military get special treatment because they're provided tampons and the men aren't.

7 days does seem like a long time though.

Since when is the need to get married so urgent that you can't take a little extra time and plan it out for when you have leave?

The difference between a BJ and anal sex is that a BJ can make your day, while anal sex can make your hole weak.

Hence the need for 7 days off. :mrgreen:

Yeah, see, there is this thing people keep yipping about, eh, equality?

Well, let's just analyze that for a moment. I work for the county, as s sheriffs deputy, I have benefits for my spouse and my child. My spouse could be covered by my insurance if I were married to him. But my state doesn't all that. I also provide for a child but I can't claim these people on my taxes or jabber them covered on my benefits. When I retire if I was to pass away my lover and my kid wouldn't get my pension.

so seven days of paid leave and you are complaining about equality? Where my lifes toils go to nothing based on my partners crotch.

Sorry, don't see any lack of equality here. If anything I think it of still discriminatory to force gay people to travel to another state to get married.

Legalize marriage in all 50 states, problem solved.

Another solution would be if gay folks could get married on a military base, and that marriage had to be recognized the same way as a state-licensed marriage. Then nobody would have to travel anywhere.

Well, let's just analyze that for a moment. I work for the county, as s sheriffs deputy, I have benefits for my spouse and my child. My spouse could be covered by my insurance if I were married to him. But my state doesn't all that. I also provide for a child but I can't claim these people on my taxes or jabber them covered on my benefits. When I retire if I was to pass away my lover and my kid wouldn't get my pension.

so seven days of paid leave and you are complaining about equality? Where my lifes toils go to nothing based on my partners crotch.

Sorry, don't see any lack of equality here. If anything I think it of still discriminatory to force gay people to travel to another state to get married.

Legalize marriage in all 50 states, problem solved.

and as I've said, that's a real problem you have. I stated to CT and I'll reiterate. I don't feel the government should tell you who you can and cannot marry but to give 1 soldier 7 extra days of paid leave and not give the other guy the same benefits is counter productive. You don't bring equality about by promoting policies of inequality. All this breeds is discontent.

I still cannot believe they did it. This is a dumb one. Morale killer.
and as I've said, that's a real problem you have. I stated to CT and I'll reiterate. I don't feel the government should tell you who you can and cannot marry but to give 1 soldier 7 extra days of paid leave and not give the other guy the same benefits is counter productive. You don't bring equality about by promoting policies of inequality. All this breeds is discontent.

it baffles me that people don't see this... Especially in a military setting? They are guaranteed to have dissension in the ranks.

The Pentagon has said that a member of the armed service will be given 7 days of paid leave to travel to a state that allows same-sex marriage. The benefit will be expanded to 10 days for those serving overseas. This benefit is not available to service members planning heterosexual weddings.

Pentagon plans special bonus for same-sex marriages : News Headlines - Catholic Culture

I totally agree that this is great, Just shows how the DOD is staying in touch with the times.

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll.

All this breeds is discontent.

I remember the opposition to asking Don't Ask Don't Tell being right along these lines.

Personally, I opt to give the men and women wearing our uniform for being, well, men and women as a pose to toddlers. I'm sure they'll recognize that something needed to be done to offset the fact that 37 out of 50 states discriminate against people paid to lay down their lives for 50 out of 50 states.

Back
Top Bottom