• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

At least my offering is in print and rated at 4.5 stars as opposed to yours, out of print and a 3 star rating. Just saying...

Mine is still in print. Plus you can get it from Gutenberg.

Mine is still in print. Plus you can get it from Gutenberg.

Oh, FREE, my fave. Thanks for the tip. I guess Amazon isn't always the best place to shop for books:)

I doubt it's going to have any effect. I really don't see anything in the article that could serve as compelling evidence for his assertion.

Oh, FREE, my fave. Thanks for the tip. I guess Amazon isn't always the best place to shop for books:)

Yes, there ya go. ;)

I doubt it's going to have any effect. I really don't see anything in the article that could serve as compelling evidence for his assertion.

Eh, I think the author is waiting for the conference / symposium to present the actual evidence. Could be trying to sell tickets, books, etc. Only time will tell.

Eh, the way the guy talks about seems like he's reaching.

I'll be interested to see his evidence, but I get the idea from his statements that he came in with a conclusion he wanted to reach and looked for stuff to confirm it. Maybe not, though. We'll just have to see when he actually releases his information.

Interesting to say the least. I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

Link is here. Ancient Confession Found: We Invented Jesus Christ

As much as I want it to be true, I don't see October 19th, 2013 as being "the day in history christianity was finally definitively proven to be hogwash".

Besides, you can't disprove a religion with facts that doesn't base itself on facts. Christians believe because they have a desperate need to believe, and they will contort reality as far as they have to to serve that.

As much as I want it to be true, I don't see October 19th, 2013 as being "the day in history christianity was finally definitively proven to be hogwash".

Besides, you can't disprove a religion with facts that doesn't base itself on facts. Christians believe because they have a desperate need to believe, and they will contort reality as far as they have to to serve that.

I think the author recognizes that. But if he manages to support his statements in a convincing way then the grounds he would lay out is: a) Non religious, free, wealthy, aristocrats, and b) Religious, mind trapped, enslaved, poor others. The audience then should pick a side.

Considering that the supposed aristocrats who did the inventing wold have been under threat of execution for doing so in First Century Rome it's a bit difficult to imagine what their motive might have been, or why if so very clever they'd have written out any confession that would have been evidence to have them destroyed.

While I'm no expert, that author makes the claim that this was some sort of psychological warfare. To me this doesn't seem to be in keeping with the Roman approach to subjugating foreign populations, while what they did in A.D. 70 is much more in keeping with their policies. (Recall that they didn't attempt to alter the thinking of the
Carthaginians, they exterminated them and sowed their fields with salt.)

Also, we should remember that things like "psychological warfare" are modern concepts, and were probably alien to the thinking of a people who assumed that other races and ethnicities were locked into (almost always irrational and defective) modes of thought.

Without quoting the article extensively, I also notice that the authors assumptions are based largely in the similarity between the New Testament and Josephus accounts of the progress of the then Roman general Titus Flavius. As I recall, there has long ample reason to call the character and veracity of Josephus into question. It seems me that the Author's case could be at least as readily used to suppose that Josephus altered the newly circulated accounts of a Jewish Messiah to flesh out his accounts of Titus Flavius. We should remember that at the time, Roman emperors such as Titus became were held to be divine.

And one should point out that the article title suggests some discovery of some ancient text with an explicit admission, and in one sentences states that one had been "uncovered," but makes no further reference to a confession.

Last edited:
Doesn't really surprise me in the least. There was never anything fresh in the whole story.
Every element has been borrowed from other ancient mythologies from the Mediterranean region over several centuries.
Son of a God, virgin birth, baptism in a river, execution and resurrection, supernatural powers, walked on water, etc, etc... not one aspect of the whole story had any originality at all.
Every bit of it, every aspect and every detail can be found in the regions previous mythology.
I always thought that the heroic tales of Hercules were far more compelling and a far better mythical story with a good deal of similarities..

Sounds like a pretty blatant hoax, or a publicity stunt.

What's the hoax, the guy's theory, or the invention of Jesus Christ?

If you don't believe Jesus was the son of God, then it must have been a hoax, no? What else could it have been?

Interesting to say the least. I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

Link is here. Ancient Confession Found: We Invented Jesus Christ

If anyone has ever read Plato's Republic, Socrates and co. discussed, at length, the construction of a society/nation. Things like the military, the degree to which citizens are involved in the government, different possible classes of citizens, etc. Part of the discussion revolved around the total fabrication of a religion for their society, a religion that bent the people toward their role in society, made it easier to accept that role, and made them easier to govern. For the warriors, it promised paradise to those who died bravely in battle so that the soldiers wouldn't fear death and would be more willing to fight when their survival instincts told them to flee. Its been years since I read it, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I read this article. The Romans were known for taking good ideas from other cultures and putting them to use in their own.

Back
Top Bottom