• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ancient Civilisations with Technology

This is not science, this is pseudoscience. Figure out the proper message boards in which to post your threads, so that you don't pollute them.

The original post was to do with technology, should that not be covered under the topic Science and Technology.

Why do think this is fake??

Science don't have all the answers just like Religion.

What do you Scientists say about this:
bermuda_triangle.jpg

http://www.4to40.com/earth/geography/index.asp?article=earth_geography_bermudatriangle

I know Science encourages you to be sceptical but you are only serving ignorance to disregard something that doesn't fit in with your view of the earth.

So when you don't have faith in Science or religion what can you hold above yourself to tell you all the answers??

Mickyjaystoned said:
The original post was to do with technology, should that not be covered under the topic Science and Technology.

Why do think this is fake??

Science don't have all the answers just like Religion.

What do you Scientists say about this:
bermuda_triangle.jpg

http://www.4to40.com/earth/geography/index.asp?article=earth_geography_bermudatriangle

I know Science encourages you to be sceptical but you are only serving ignorance to disregard something that doesn't fit in with your view of the earth.

Yeah, that looks like it was drawn in in MSPaint or something - pretty fake to me.

Yeah thanx but i was talking about the actual Bermuda triangle not the damn picture of it.

And yes the paint was done in Paint, it shows a general idea of the Bermuda triangle, i would have just put a picture without paint editing but there isd not a giant red triangle on top of the ocean to show where it is in real life.
#
Troglodyte

Mickyjaystoned said:
Yeah thanx but i was talking about the actual Bermuda triangle not the damn picture of it.

And yes the paint was done in Paint, it shows a general idea of the Bermuda triangle, i would have just put a picture without paint editing but there isd not a giant red triangle on top of the ocean to show where it is in real life.
#
Troglodyte

How does the Bermuda Triangle have anything to do with anything? It's not even real.

http://skepdic.com/bermuda.html said:
There are some skeptics who argue that the facts do not support the legend, that there is no mystery to be solved, and nothing that needs explaining.The number of wrecks in this area is not extraordinary, given its size, location and the amount of traffic it receives. Many of the ships and planes that have been identified as having disappeared mysteriously in the Bermuda Triangle were not in the Bermuda Triangle at all. Investigations to date have not produced scientific evidence of any unusual phenomena involved in the disappearances. Thus, any explanation, including so-called scientific ones in terms of methane gas being released from the ocean floor, magnetic disturbances, etc., are not needed. The real mystery is how the Bermuda Triangle became a mystery at all."

It's a well known FACT that past civilizations have held 'advanced' methods that were then lost for hundreds of years. The Romans had whole house heating using a method that was then lost with the fall of the empire and wasn't 'found' again until what, the late 1800's?

Just look at the pyramids.. we STILL have not figured out how it was done, even using modern equipment, some of the things in the pyramid _cannot be duplicated to the same tolerances using modern equipment_.

How long would it take our civilization to regress if the things we have become depenant on were no longer available? Cars? Refrigeration? Telecommunications? About 3 days, if Katrina was any sign..

ThatGuy said:
It's a well known FACT that past civilizations have held 'advanced' methods that were then lost for hundreds of years. The Romans had whole house heating using a method that was then lost with the fall of the empire and wasn't 'found' again until what, the late 1800's?

Just look at the pyramids.. we STILL have not figured out how it was done, even using modern equipment, some of the things in the pyramid _cannot be duplicated to the same tolerances using modern equipment_.

How long would it take our civilization to regress if the things we have become depenant on were no longer available? Cars? Refrigeration? Telecommunications? About 3 days, if Katrina was any sign..

Really? http://www.touregypt.net/construction/

Mod Note

Another thread off to "conspiracy theories". Anything whose cite is from "paranormal.about.com..... will end up there too.

/Mod Note

ThatGuy said:

Speaking of which, has anyone here heard of those crystal skulls that are supposed to be scattered around. They say if we find them all and combine them, great knowledge will be unlocked. I know it sounds like something out of a video game (a geek like me would know about such things) but it was on the History Channel.

Axismaster said:
Speaking of which, has anyone here heard of those crystal skulls that are supposed to be scattered around. They say if we find them all and combine them, great knowledge will be unlocked. I know it sounds like something out of a video game (a geek like me would know about such things) but it was on the History Channel.

Honestly, how can you people actually BELIEVE this garbage?

Engimo said:

Read the text instead of just posting a link..

"in dispute"
"one method may have been"
"it is possible"

In other words, they don't know, this is just one idea.
The only firm item they do have is "only one proven to have been used" about the ramp method. No documentary I have ever seen has postulated that the ramp method is a proven historical fact, or that it was even practical to pull a 20 ton stone up a dirt ramp.

Axismaster said:

That's probably a bit far fetched. I seem to recall having seen something that said those were found to be not as old as originally presented.

shuamort said:
Mod Note

Another thread off to "conspiracy theories". Anything whose cite is from "paranormal.about.com..... will end up there too.

/Mod Note

Thats gay, just cause the website is called paranormal doesn't mean it is all to do with paranormal phenomena, the bermuda triangle is not a conspiracy and neither are ancient civilisations.

The point i have made in this thread is: just cause science doesn't understand something doesn't mean it's bullshit.

Mickyjaystoned said:
Thats gay, just cause the website is called paranormal doesn't mean it is all to do with paranormal phenomena, the bermuda triangle is not a conspiracy and neither are ancient civilisations.

The point i have made in this thread is: just cause science doesn't understand something doesn't mean it's bullshit.
No, I'm gay. The decision stands.

Mickyjaystoned said:

Yes, but the fact that there is no evidence to support what you're saying does make it bullshit.

Mickyjaystoned said:
Thats gay, just cause the website is called paranormal doesn't mean it is all to do with paranormal phenomena,

Obviously it does. The mere fact that "theories" like these are included on the paranormal website seems to be a tacit acknowledgment by their webmaster that the ideas are completely irrational. I mean, if there was actually evidence to support them, they would have no place on a "paranormal" website and I could read about them in Scientific American, right?

Mickyjaystoned said:
the bermuda triangle is not a conspiracy and neither are ancient civilisations.

Perhaps a new message board is needed...something like "Astrology, UFOs, Atlantis, and other topics in cult pseudoscience." I agree that the conspiracy label doesn't fit this particular thread very well, but at least this board is more appropriate than the Science/Technology board. You're more likely to find people with the same, err, mindset as you on this board.

Mickyjaystoned said:

Except science DOES understand. Science offers a perfectly valid explanation that you simply choose to ignore: These theories are ridiculous and there's nothing that needs to be "understood" about them. For example, there's no big mystery of Atlantis, since Atlantis simply never existed. There's no big mystery of the Bermuda Triangle, since the Bermuda Triangle is simply a normal geographic region of the world where nothing unusual has happened.

Furthermore, even on topics that science truly doesn't understand, it doesn't mean that you are automatically correct by default and can propose any loony idea with no supporting evidence and have it accepted as fact.

Last edited:
Science doesn't even acknowledge the existance of the spirit, when there are subjects like spirituality all science offers is flat dismissal of the facts presented, no scientists have ever tried to explain why military and commercial planes have dissappeared completely over the Bermuda Triangle, they just simply look at the fact that it has happened then say: that can't happen, our science means it can't happen cause there is no reason to it.

If you looked over the site you would notice there is plenty more than just paranormal bullcrap on the website, there is plenty infornmation factual and theoretical, but the subliminal biggotry on this forum doesn't allow you to view "Paranormal" information un-biasedly.

Would you have been a fan of science while it was widely held BELIEF that the earth was flat??

Yep and you would have probably been a biggot to people like me and gallileo who were sure the earth was round??

Yep even though ancient Mayan Civilisation charted the stars and mapped the solar system our own civilisation wouldn't accept the truth for centuries, i know that today's refusal to accept the paranormal as legitamite information is simply history repeating itself, you budding rationalists have done the church of science proud in the past, and lo she still has you to ridicule and belittle anyone with an alternative view on this mysterious and indefinable planet and universe.

Mickyjaystoned said:
Science doesn't even acknowledge the existance of the spirit, when there are subjects like spirituality all science offers is flat dismissal of the facts presented, no scientists have ever tried to explain why military and commercial planes have dissappeared completely over the Bermuda Triangle, they just simply look at the fact that it has happened then say: that can't happen, our science means it can't happen cause there is no reason to it.

Let's see some evidence, buddo. Ever think that's why science dismisses it - for lack of evidence?

Would you have been a fan of science while it was widely held BELIEF that the earth was flat??

Yep and you would have probably been a biggot to people like me and gallileo who were sure the earth was round??

Ignorance. The scientific method did not exist in the time that you are talking about, and the idea that the Earth was flat was not as common as people think it was.

Mickyjaystoned said:

Planes disappear over the Bermuda Triangle for the same reason they disappear anywhere else: They crash into the ocean and aren't found. Considering how much air traffic goes through the Bermuda Triangle, there have not been a disproportionate number of disappearances compared to any other region of the world.

Now would you like to rebut that perfectly rational argument, or would you prefer to simply go off on another tangent because you know your position is indefensible?

Mickyjaystoned said:
If you looked over the site you would notice there is plenty more than just paranormal bullcrap on the website, there is plenty infornmation factual and theoretical, but the subliminal biggotry on this forum doesn't allow you to view "Paranormal" information un-biasedly.

You're damn right it doesn't. I'm looking over that website more carefully now, and I see absolutely NOTHING that can be described as factual and theoretical. All I see is garbage about psychics, Atlantis, UFOs, ghosts, witchcraft, and Bigfoot. This website is pretty much as it describes itself: Paranormal Phenomenon.

If there was any evidence behind any of this crap, it wouldn't be "paranormal," now would it?

Mickyjaystoned said:

If you can provide a scientific theory and experimental evidence that shows the earth is flat, I'll be the first to accept it. Unlike you, I'm skeptical of dubious claims until I see some evidence.

Also, please tell me at what point since the dawn of civilization has there been a "widely held belief that the earth was flat"?

Mickyjaystoned said:

Galileo had evidence to support his claims. You have absolutely nothing to support the existence of Atlantis or any weird happenings in the Bermuda Triangle or UFOs or whatever other silly ideas you crazies have come up with.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:

You had to come to this site and say that?

"Our own planet has been the fascination of people worldwide. The mysteries and wonders that surround us have many possible explanations. There are many who need to understand these mysteries and others who just wish to stand in awe of our wonderful world."

I guess most the people here fall under the catagory of those who need to understand these mysteries.

In response to this:

Also, please tell me at what point since the dawn of civilization has there been a "widely held belief that the earth was flat"?

I actually meant to say the Geocentric model of the earth which Galileo proved wrong, although he proved this wrong very early in his career i do not think it was accepted until after his death, this was merely an example of the ignorant minority flatly refusing to accept what may be true just because it conflicts with what they believed.

You all sling that word ignorant about don't you, do you know what this is and where it is found:
pyramid_dollar_bill_tn.gif

I actually meant to say the Geocentric model of the earth which Galileo proved wrong, although he proved this wrong very early in his career i do not think it was accepted until after his death, this was merely an example of the ignorant minority flatly refusing to accept what may be true just because it conflicts with what they believed.

Actually, it was an ignorant majority that was kept ignorant by the Catholic Church, who oppressed Galileo regularly.

Like I said, the scientific method and empirical thought did not exist in Galileo's time, so what you're saying is nonsensical.

Mickyjaystoned said:
"Our own planet has been the fascination of people worldwide. The mysteries and wonders that surround us have many possible explanations. There are many who need to understand these mysteries and others who just wish to stand in awe of our wonderful world."

I guess most the people here fall under the catagory of those who need to understand these mysteries.

Damn right I do, as should any person with the slightest bit of intellectual curiosity.

Mickyjaystoned said:
In response to this:

Most educated people (which was a very small number of people) believed that the earth was round before Galileo. Eratosthenes proved it over 1700 years earlier, but there were a few other dubious hypotheses still floating around prior to Galileo.

Mickyjaystoned said:
You all sling that word ignorant about don't you, do you know what this is and where it is found:
pyramid_dollar_bill_tn.gif

It's a masonic symbol. It's also the mythical symbol of the boogeyman that you and your cult have invented. Do I win a dollar bill?

Back
Top Bottom