• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anabolic Steroids

Peter Grimm

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Why are they illegal? Should they be?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

FYI: Anabolic Steroids are regulated in the United States by the Controlled Substances Act following the controversy over Ben Johnson's victory at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. During deliberations, the American Medical Association (AMA), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) all opposed listing anabolic steroids as controlled substances, citing the fact that use of these hormones does not lead to the physical or psychological dependence required for such scheduling under the Controlled Substance Act.

Nevertheless, anabolic steroids were added to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act in the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990... placing them in the same class as heroin or cocaine.

FYI: Anabolic Steroids are regulated in the United States by the Controlled Substances Act following the controversy over Ben Johnson's victory at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. During deliberations, the American Medical Association (AMA), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) all opposed listing anabolic steroids as controlled substances, citing the fact that use of these hormones does not lead to the physical or psychological dependence required for such scheduling under the Controlled Substance Act.

Nevertheless, anabolic steroids were added to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act in the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990... placing them in the same class as heroin or cocaine.

yes they should be illegal as it is not needed to build muscle. People need to learn to not compare themselves to other people also actual knowledge of weight training would make it easy for people to grow muscle. There are also negative side effects to steroids i also think the fact people feel the need to use steroids reflects a society were vanity is high you agree ?

Here's another question since at least 30% of DP's users are gay.

Why is it legal for doctors to prescribe injectable testosterone (steroids) to transgendered patients wanting to become more masculine, but it is not legal for doctors to prescribe the same to athletes who want to become better at their craft?

Last edited:
yes they should be illegal as it is not needed to build muscle. People need to learn to not compare themselves to other people also actual knowledge of weight training would make it easy for people to grow muscle. There are also negative side effects to steroids i also think the fact people feel the need to use steroids reflects a society were vanity is high you agree ?

So it should be illegal because people don't need them, and because society is too vain?

I'm not sure I agree with that logic.

Here's another question since at least 50% of DP's users are gay.

Why is it legal for doctors to prescribe injectable testosterone (steroids) to transgendered patients wanting to become more masculine, but it is not legal for doctors to prescribe the same to athletes who want to become better at their craft?
The people being prescribed testosterone probably have too much female hormones or not enough testosterone. For the average person they can greatly improve their testosterone buy using big compound lifts. Lets suppose if just athletes were aloud to use steroids it would just lead to many overdosing in order to get a edge and the ones who would rather do it naturally would lose out. Plus sports should be about using the human body to the natural potential and steroids would take way from that. Legalizing steroids also has negative implications for the future such as more dangerous performance enhancing drugs we have to draw line somewhere do you not think so?

The people being prescribed testosterone probably have too much female hormones or not enough testosterone. For the average person they can greatly improve their testosterone buy using big compound lifts. Lets suppose if just athletes were aloud to use steroids it would just lead to many overdosing in order to get a edge and the ones who would rather do it naturally would lose out. Plus sports should be about using the human body to the natural potential and steroids would take way from that. Legalizing steroids also has negative implications for the future such as more dangerous performance enhancing drugs we have to draw line somewhere do you not think so?

I do agree except some people will always cheat, and as it is today the athletes that are winning are probably the ones doing the most cheating. Look at baseball. The ones that don't do drugs are the most likely to be left behind.

But still...it's one thing to make steroids illegal. Why do they have to be class 3?

Many people have died from heroin or cocaine. Not one person has ever died from steroids. And, unlike a drug like pot that just makes you lazy and eat cheetos, steroids improve you by making you stronger, faster, better looking.

Why is there such a push to legalize a stupid drug like pot, but nobody is talking about steroids, which can actually be quite useful?

First, gay people are not TG. TG people are prescribed hormones in order to promote the physical characteristics of the opposite gender. A male athlete already has testosterone levels equal to a man. A transgendered male does not so they are prescribed testosterone to the levels a cisgendered male would have. They may also be prescribed blockers for female hormones. An athlete is effectively overdosing hormones to promote their growth. Hormones can have dangerous effects in high levels that are not normal for the body. Trans people have to decide to take some of those risks, but they are not going to the levels a athletic steroid user would do. You should also note that steroids are prescribed for other more common ailments like allergies. Durations of prescriptions for cisgendered people often remain short as prolonged use causes many health problems. When long term use is required as in trans people the doses are much lower to reduce health risks associated with it.

before you start comparing people who are prescribed steroid with some overly greedy sports star you might want to do some research on how and why steroids are prescribed.

A lot of time the sports do have policies against performance enhancers which I agree with. Either you're watching someone that has artificially increased his performance or you have a situation every athlete has to shoot up to compete.

I'd also recommend checking out a list of dead pro wrestlers and the very high deathrate of individuals that were fairly young and fit when they had a stroke/heart attack etc. It's a pretty sobering list and makes it pretty evident why sports that allow substance use to exist or necessary to compete are doing a huge disservice to their athletes.

They are dangerous when used recreationally...just like Oxycotin and others. I know one young man who was hooked on steroids. Yep, he had great muscles. He also had roid-rage. Destroyed his marriage. Fired from his job. Don't know what happened to him long term, but I have a feeling he'd say now that those muscles weren't worth it.

No, they shouldn't be illegal. If an adult wants to use them with all the risks it entails it should be that person's right. If sport organizations want to ban their participants from using them that is their right and people can decide whether or not they want to participate in those sports.

Telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies is the epitome of the "nanny state".

As far as sports go, if you are being paid an outrageous salary for playing with a ball you should be required to be on steroids.

As far as sports go, if you are being paid an outrageous salary for playing with a ball you should be required to be on steroids.

Ummm....don't tell me you actually buy the idea that the amount of money you make has anything to do with your contribution to society...

Ummm....don't tell me you actually buy the idea that the amount of money you make has anything to do with your contribution to society...

No I'm saying if you make millions doing something as worthless as playing with a ball you should at least do everything, including steroids, to be the very best at it as you possibly can be. Steroids saved baseball. Who wants to watch a bunch of normal people play sports?

No I'm saying if you make millions doing something as worthless as playing with a ball you should at least do everything, including steroids, to be the very best at it as you possibly can be. Steroids saved baseball. Who wants to watch a bunch of normal people play sports?

haha...I chuckled over that. I personally think it's remarkable when someone like Adrian Peterson exists without the use of steroids but I can see your point.

Bull mate just bull some sports stars taking steroids will just lead to domino effect :roll:

First, gay people are not TG. TG people are prescribed hormones in order to promote the physical characteristics of the opposite gender. A male athlete already has testosterone levels equal to a man. A transgendered male does not so they are prescribed testosterone to the levels a cisgendered male would have. They may also be prescribed blockers for female hormones. An athlete is effectively overdosing hormones to promote their growth. Hormones can have dangerous effects in high levels that are not normal for the body. Trans people have to decide to take some of those risks, but they are not going to the levels a athletic steroid user would do. You should also note that steroids are prescribed for other more common ailments like allergies. Durations of prescriptions for cisgendered people often remain short as prolonged use causes many health problems. When long term use is required as in trans people the doses are much lower to reduce health risks associated with it.

before you start comparing people who are prescribed steroid with some overly greedy sports star you might want to do some research on how and why steroids are prescribed.

Trasgendered people are gay. But that's neither here nor there, because the topic of discussion is anabolic steroids.

The meat of your argument seems to be that since a woman who wants to become a man only takes the amount of testosterone required to give her male characteristics, that makes it OK... in other words, it's the AMOUNT of testosterone given that should define its legality.

I'm curious as to why that would make a difference?

A lot of time the sports do have policies against performance enhancers which I agree with. Either you're watching someone that has artificially increased his performance or you have a situation every athlete has to shoot up to compete.

I'd also recommend checking out a list of dead pro wrestlers and the very high deathrate of individuals that were fairly young and fit when they had a stroke/heart attack etc. It's a pretty sobering list and makes it pretty evident why sports that allow substance use to exist or necessary to compete are doing a huge disservice to their athletes.

I agree with you, but I'm also a realist: most high level athletes cheat. Now, that said, there's a difference between a sport banning a substance (the olympic committee, the NFL, etc) and the GOVERNMENT banning a substance.

As for the dead pro wrestlers, steroids did not kill them. To say they did is simply to pass out misinformation. In fact, there is not one documented case of steroids ever killing anyone.

They are dangerous when used recreationally...just like Oxycotin and others. I know one young man who was hooked on steroids. Yep, he had great muscles. He also had roid-rage. Destroyed his marriage. Fired from his job. Don't know what happened to him long term, but I have a feeling he'd say now that those muscles weren't worth it.

What proves that they're dangerous, aside from word-of-mouth? I haven't ever heard of one documented case of anyone dying from anabolic steroids. Yes, some people do get "roid rage," however some people are alcoholics as well, and we don't ban the use of alcohol. We only limit its consumption to adults, and ask that people who can't handle it don't take it.

Anabolic steroids are nothing but supplemental testosterone. There is no physiological reason why an adult male shouldn't be allowed to supplement with testosterone if he so chooses.

What proves that they're dangerous, aside from word-of-mouth? I haven't ever heard of one documented case of anyone dying from anabolic steroids. Yes, some people do get "roid rage," however some people are alcoholics as well, and we don't ban the use of alcohol. We only limit its consumption to adults, and ask that people who can't handle it don't take it.

Anabolic steroids are nothing but supplemental testosterone. There is no physiological reason why an adult male shouldn't be allowed to supplement with testosterone if he so chooses.

Why?? A woman can't take estrogen "just because."

From the Mayo Clinic:

Anabolic steroids come with serious physical side effects as well.

Men may develop:

Prominent breasts
Baldness
Shrunken testicles
Infertility
Impotence

Women may develop:

A deeper voice
An enlarged clitoris
Increased body hair
Baldness
Infrequent or absent periods

Both men and women might experience:

Severe acne
Increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture
Liver abnormalities and tumors
Increased low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
Decreased high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol)
High blood pressure (hypertension)
Heart and circulatory problems
Prostate gland enlargement
Aggressive behaviors, rage or violence
Psychiatric disorders, such as depression
Drug dependence
Infections or diseases such as HIV or hepatitis if you're injecting the drugs
Inhibited growth and development, and risk of future health problems in teenagers

Combine all of the above with the fact that no credible studies of any kind have been done with anabolic steroids, and that there is no oversight on drug preparation, and one can see that you, in particular, don't know what you're talking about.

Performance-enhancing drugs: Know the risks - MayoClinic.com

despite the bans, I think that is what we still get

I don't think they should be used, but they shouldn't be illegal. If you're very smart, you can do a cycle here and there with little to no negative effects. Most of the people with issues abuse it or don't take the proper meds after they stop. (estrogen blockers and what not)

Trasgendered people are gay. But that's neither here nor there, because the topic of discussion is anabolic steroids.

Just to correct your ignorance gay people wish to have sexual and romantic relations with people of their gender and are attracted to people of their gender. transgendered people feel they are the opposite gender than what their physical body says they are. Neither status speaks to the other. Learn your terms, and quit making stuff up because you are too lazy. This is why gay people do not take the hormones of the iopposite gender because it would be rather silly of them to try and get a body type of a mate their potential mate would not be attracted to.
The meat of your argument seems to be that since a woman who wants to become a man only takes the amount of testosterone required to give her male characteristics, that makes it OK... in other words, it's the AMOUNT of testosterone given that should define its legality.

I'm curious as to why that would make a difference?

healt5h wise it does make a difference. The body can and does use a certain amount of testosterone in it's normal operations. This is natural as we all pretty much have hormones floating through our system throughout our lifetime, though the levels may change with age. Male athletes already have testosterone floating through their system as any natural male does. their bodies deal with and process those hormones for many reasons which is why they work. When you pile more on top of that as a male athlete who uses steroids does you run into the finite capacity of the body's systems and processing the extra weakens organ systems and causes other undesired effects. The use of hormones can do many things including the destruction of the liver, pancrease, and kidneys. It has also been linked to drastically higher cancer rates. Lower levels of hormone use, as would be present in a trans person or a person prescribed steroids for ailments would tax internal systems but not cause the damage long term abuse would. It also keeps the risks of cancer lower. I am not expecting a person who cannot figure out the difference between gender and attraction to understand medical issues, but some basic research should help you to understand these things better rather than just assuming things.

A little research is your friend. First off, I am a person who feels all drugs should be legalized, and that would include steroids. However, even i recognize that some substances are overly dangerous and the complete ignorant use of them is very ill advised which is why I do not support the efforts of groups like DARE who lie and mist\represent the dangers of drug use. You are just as bad with the misinformation when you say obviously wrong things. Yes, we do know that there are dangers to having larger than natural amounts of hormones in the body. We do know that this can lead to many problems over time, and that abuse of the body's systems is something any drug user should be aware of. As you pile more in your system your body's organ systems become taxed further. they can only process a finite amount of substances. Also, anabolic steroids are not simply what your doctor prescribes. There are different types and varieties of synthetic hormones out there, yes anabolic steroids are synthetic so it is not just like you are taking a little more natural testosterone, and for a person the different varieties may react differently in the body. This means some people might be much safer on another chemical than others, and to maintain good health you should be regularly seeing a doctor while using them.

Please stop being a good argument for why the rest of us cannot have nice things. Personally i do not care if your ignorance causes you to make a terrible decision and wipe your body out or die. However, other people seem to care about that thing which is why they want to keep drugs illegal for recreational use. Please be quiet and pretend you do not exist so we can get to the point where you can endanger your life in every way you wish to.

I agree with you, but I'm also a realist: most high level athletes cheat. Now, that said, there's a difference between a sport banning a substance (the olympic committee, the NFL, etc) and the GOVERNMENT banning a substance.

As for the dead pro wrestlers, steroids did not kill them. To say they did is simply to pass out misinformation. In fact, there is not one documented case of steroids ever killing anyone.

One of the possible side effects of steroid use is high blood pressure. A lot of these individuals were in great shape and died of heart attacks at a fairly young age.

Just a personal story which supports the science. A buddy of mine in the army was using steroids. This guy was a state championship wrestler from the mid west (pretty big deal if you're familiar with wrestling) and was in great shape. He told me after a visit to the doctor that the doctor was like "I'm not going to get you in trouble and I'm not going to ask for specifics but whatever you're doing...if you don't stop I wouldn't be surprised if you keeled over with a heart attack tomorrow". The guys blood pressure had risen to that kind of level.

Back
Top Bottom