• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An unprecedented night at the RNC... for possible Hatch Act violations

W_Heisenberg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I notice no one had posted about this. I am not surprised. It is really hard to keep up with the Trump administration's breathtaking violations of the law.

First Thing: an unprecedented night at the RNC – for possible Hatch Act violations | US news | The Guardian

Legal observers said the second night of the RNC may have flouted laws that prevent federal employees from taking part in political activity while on duty.

Good morning. Featuring an executive pardon for a bank robber turned social entrepreneur, a naturalisation ceremony for new US immigrants, and a speech from the secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, during an official visit to Jerusalem, the second day of the Republican national convention led critics to accuse Donald Trump of turning politics into a series of reality TV-style stunts.

But the implications of this display of presidential power may be more serious: legal observers warned that these segments appeared to violate the Hatch Act, which prevents federal employees from taking part in political activity while on duty, and a senior Democrat on the House foreign affairs committee has launched an investigation into whether Pompeo’s appearance broke the law.

The bottom line is that Trump, his political allies, and his supporters do not care about the law.

Thank you benevolent Dear Leader for pardoning me...

Thank you wonderful and benevolent Dear Leader for granting me citizenship...

It is is no different than citizens thanking Kim Jong Un for their kid getting a surgery.

Thank you benevolent Dear Leader for pardoning me...

Thank you wonderful and benevolent Dear Leader for granting me citizenship...

It is is no different than citizens thanking Kim Jong Un for their kid getting a surgery.

Maybe there will be a dramatic reading of the Kim Jong Un-Trump love letters during tonight's programming.

I notice no one had posted about this. I am not surprised. It is really hard to keep up with the Trump administration's breathtaking violations of the law.

First Thing: an unprecedented night at the RNC – for possible Hatch Act violations | US news | The Guardian

Legal observers said the second night of the RNC may have flouted laws that prevent federal employees from taking part in political activity while on duty.

The bottom line is that Trump, his political allies, and his supporters do not care about the law.

Ridiculous stretch even for the democrats.

Maybe there will be a dramatic reading of the Kim Jong Un-Trump love letters during tonight's programming.

The contempt today's GOP has for immigrants and minorities is astounding. Hey we don't give a **** what kind of policies you want, but we will do some stunts on live TV and because we feel like you are stupid, we think you will fall for it.

other presidents would walk off White House grounds (and require their staff to as well) to simply make campaign phone calls.

THIS PRESIDENT will go on national TV (or have his under bosses do it) during the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION.

There is literally no bottom to the Trump Administration. When you have no soul it's easy.

Ridiculous stretch even for the democrats.

It isn’t a stretch at all. It’s flagrant. Especially Pompeo, who is little more than a gangster anyway.

Come on guys, if it's okay for Trump to try to blackmail a foreign government into manufacturing dirt on his political opponent, and lying about it, what's a Hatch Act violation or two? Or ten?

other presidents would walk off White House grounds (and require their staff to as well) to simply make campaign phone calls.

THIS PRESIDENT will go on national TV (or have his under bosses do it) during the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION.

There is literally no bottom to the Trump Administration. When you have no soul it's easy.

Goerge Washington would not be pleased.

They could also rebroadcast Trump publicly exonerating Kim Jong Un for ordering the torture and murder of American citizens.

Its not against the law for Michael Pompeo to speak at the RNC.
Indeed, in 2012 several cabinet secretaries spoke at the DNC conventioin. I do not recall stories about the "breathtaking" violations of the law of the Obama Admin, or frets that the Dems and their political supporters and allies do not care about the law.
As is generally the case, the political opponents of Mr. Trump hold him to legal standards they do not understand, and standards they are not willing to hold to themselves.

The Hatch Act as a law would forbid the elected official from identifying himself or herself as an elected official. Mr. Pompeo did not identify himself as a Cabinet secretary. Neither did those Obama Cabinet secretaries in 2012.

Didn't you know? These folks weren't there in their 'official' capacity, they spoke as citizens.

I'm sure that would hold up in a court of law.

The contempt today's GOP has for immigrants and minorities is astounding. Hey we don't give a **** what kind of policies you want, but we will do some stunts on live TV and because we feel like you are stupid, we think you will fall for it.

Think? How many times have you heard republicans on here boast about low black and latino unemployment, hundreds? Like they give a crap.

Want to know the truth about the gop? All you have to do is take a look at a picture of the gop, ninety three percent white men. What else do you need to know about their idea of diversity?

Think? How many times have you heard republicans on here boast about low black and latino unemployment, hundreds? Like they give a crap.

Want to know the truth about the gop? All you have to do is take a look at a picture of the gop, ninety three percent white men. What else do you need to know about their idea of diversity?

Black unemployment rates went down under George Wallace in Alabama. George Wallace was also the first southern governor to provide blacks with free textbooks. Does anyone remember George Wallace for either of those things? Of course not, as he should be, George Wallace is remembered as a champion of racism and Trump will be remembered as one as well.

It isn’t a stretch at all. It’s flagrant. Especially Pompeo, who is little more than a gangster anyway.

I have gradually come to the conclusion that a significant fraction of Trump supporters are too stupid and too uneducated to understand when an ethical or legal violation has actually occurred within the Trump administration. They literally need to be told what is right and what is wrong, what is legal and what is illegal. They cannot think for themselves.

I also think there is another fraction of Trump supporters who are just geared, psychologically, to think of law in a different way, in terms of power relationships and groups. They think it's perfectly fine, for instance, for Trump, because he's the President, to engage in these sorts of acts simply because he has the power to do something like this without much consequence. This way of thinking about the law is completely detached from the philosophy that inspired the Framers of the Constitution.

Another fraction understands and accepts the illegality and unethical nature of Trump's regime, but consider it just a price that must be paid to get what they want. They are willing to overlook the law-breaking.

Last edited:
Black unemployment rates went down under George Wallace in Alabama. George Wallace was also the first southern governor to provide blacks with free textbooks. Does anyone remember George Wallace for either of those things? Of course not, as he should be, George Wallace is remembered as a champion of racism and Trump will be remembered as one as well.

Thanks, I was not aware wallace did that. It however in my mind does not excuse the racism in him.

I have gradually come to the conclusion that a significant fraction of Trump supporters are too stupid and too uneducated to understand when an ethical or legal violation has actually occurred within the Trump administration. They literally need to be told what is right and what is wrong, what is legal and what is illegal. They cannot think for themselves.

I also think there is another fraction of Trump supporters who are just geared, psychologically, to think of law in a different way, in terms of power relationships and groups. They think it's perfectly fine, for instance, for Trump, because he's the President, to engage in these sorts of acts simply because he has the power to do something like this without much consequence. This way of thinking about the law is completely detached from the philosophy that inspired the Framers of the Constitution.

Another fraction understands and accepts the illegality and unethical nature of Trump's regime, but consider it just a price that must be paid to get what they want. They are willing to overlook the law-breaking.

Well that was helpful. Not at all trolling or flamebaiting.

You know nothing will be done about it.

We need to face the fact that there are no actual laws anymore. There are Trump decrees followed by a lot of noisy hand-wringing at best.

Trump's America

Well that was helpful. Not at all trolling or flamebaiting.

Okay, so, how do you explain the reason why Trump supporters seem incapable of recognizing or as in your case actively support Trump's violations of the law?

Why do you defend Trump's violations of the law?

What is wrong with you?

It's a character flaw, and it should be pointed out as such.

People who support violating the law are bad people. We should not be afraid to call people out and say it as such.

So Pompeo doesn't have a life outside of his job?

FDR accepted renomination for his 3rd term from the White House.

FDR Accepted Renomination At White House | Newsmax.com

FDR should not have done this, and this does not in any way excuse Trump's unlawful behavior.

No amount of whataboutism can explain away or defend Trump's actions, or anyone's actions for that matter. It's wrong no matter who does it.

It's wrong. Case closed. End of story. Deal with it and accept it.

And if you are going to apologize for, and defend, Trump's continual violations of the law be prepared for people to describe you personally as a bad person who supports a crook. It's not okay. It's wrong. And none of us should go around pretending that things Trump supporters are doing to defend Trump is okay. It's not. The lies should be condemned. The whatboutisms should be condemned. The excuse-making and blatant ignoring of the laws should be condemned. None of this is normal, acceptable, appropriate behavior for a citizen who loves their country. It's more about making liberals eat **** and trolling the media, and so on and so forth. And it's really really sad.

Last edited:
FDR should not have done this, and this does not in any way excuse Trump's unlawful behavior.

No amount of whataboutism can explain away or defend Trump's actions, or anyone's actions for that matter. It's wrong no matter who does it.

It's wrong. Case closed. End of story. Deal with it and accept it.

And if you are going to apologize for, and defend, Trump's continual violations of the law be prepared for people to describe you personally as a bad person who supports a crook. It's not okay. It's wrong. And none of us should go around pretending that things Trump supporters are doing to defend Trump is okay. It's not. The lies should be condemned. The whatboutisms should be condemned. The excuse-making and blatant ignoring of the laws should be condemned. None of this is normal, acceptable, appropriate behavior for a citizen who loves their country. It's more about making liberals eat **** and trolling the media, and so on and so forth. And it's really really sad.

People can certainly argue whether an existing Cabinet officer should appear or speak at a political convention; whether a president should give an obvious political speech from the White House.
Such happenings have indeed occurred; its not unprecedented.
The objection is the claim that when it happens during the Trump Administration, its against the law (it isn't in fact), and/or its support or indifference to the event in question occurring reflects some defect amongst Trump supporters.

The real problem is the quickness by the Trump opponents to say of that which THEY oppose of the actions of the president makes it a criminal justice issue. That is, an attempt to criminalize policy disputes with their political opponents.

Back
Top Bottom