• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Unexpected Tragic Ending

DrM

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
SARASOTA COUNTY - It lasted only a few seconds, but the image of an alligator pouncing on his dog and dragging it into a lake will linger with me (name removed) forever.

Noah, an 11-year-old keeshond, was killed by an alligator in southern Sarasota County this week.

"I could live a thousand years and never get it out of my head," he said. "Absolutely horrifying."

The alligator that killed my 50-pound keeshond named Noah on Tuesday still has not been captured and is stirring fears in the south Sarasota County neighborhood just west of Stoneybrook.

A trapper has tried to catch the animal, but has not found it.

Neighbors in the Huntington Pointe subdivision put up a notice about the gator attack on a community bulletin board. And we are warning families with children to be vigilant.

I am a retired psychologist who has lived in Sarasota for 21 years.

In a state with over a million alligators, attacks on dogs are common. The state does not track gator bites on pets, but experts say dogs and cats resemble an alligator's natural prey and are seen as a food source.

A fully grown male alligator can take down a deer, and officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission say it is not uncommon for gators to go after medium-sized dogs such as Labrador retrievers.

People, though, are taller and can be intimidating to an alligator. There has not been a fatal attack on a person in Florida since 2007.

"The problem is that alligators have begun to associate people with feeding opportunities," said Gary Morse, a fish and game spokesman. "And dogs resemble their natural prey; they're four-legged and pretty close to the ground. These kind of attacks are not uncommon."

The victims, like many Floridians, are used to seeing gators in the lake behind their home. They were careful when their two keeshonds wandered close to the shore, but Noah was fighting cancer and needed to go outside a few times each night.

About 1 a.m. Tuesday, I opened the door and watched Noah wander near the lake. I thought he saw a log floating near the shore.

"As soon as I saw it, I thought: 'Oh boy,' I said.

"It chomped down, pulled him in and it was over. It was a moment I wish I could forget. But I never will."

Alligators typically drown their prey before eating it; the dog's body has not been found.

FROM: The Sarasota Herald tribune Thursday Oct. 21st Owner sees alligator drag his dog away HeraldTribune_com.mht

SARASOTA COUNTY - It lasted only a few seconds, but the image of an alligator pouncing on his dog and dragging it into a lake will linger with me (name removed) forever.

Noah, an 11-year-old keeshond, was killed by an alligator in southern Sarasota County this week.

"I could live a thousand years and never get it out of my head," he said. "Absolutely horrifying."

The alligator that killed my 50-pound keeshond named Noah on Tuesday still has not been captured and is stirring fears in the south Sarasota County neighborhood just west of Stoneybrook.

A trapper has tried to catch the animal, but has not found it.

Neighbors in the Huntington Pointe subdivision put up a notice about the gator attack on a community bulletin board. And we are warning families with children to be vigilant.

I am a retired psychologist who has lived in Sarasota for 21 years.

In a state with over a million alligators, attacks on dogs are common. The state does not track gator bites on pets, but experts say dogs and cats resemble an alligator's natural prey and are seen as a food source.

A fully grown male alligator can take down a deer, and officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission say it is not uncommon for gators to go after medium-sized dogs such as Labrador retrievers.

People, though, are taller and can be intimidating to an alligator. There has not been a fatal attack on a person in Florida since 2007.

"The problem is that alligators have begun to associate people with feeding opportunities," said Gary Morse, a fish and game spokesman. "And dogs resemble their natural prey; they're four-legged and pretty close to the ground. These kind of attacks are not uncommon."

The victims, like many Floridians, are used to seeing gators in the lake behind their home. They were careful when their two keeshonds wandered close to the shore, but Noah was fighting cancer and needed to go outside a few times each night.

About 1 a.m. Tuesday, I opened the door and watched Noah wander near the lake. I thought he saw a log floating near the shore.

"As soon as I saw it, I thought: 'Oh boy,' I said.

"It chomped down, pulled him in and it was over. It was a moment I wish I could forget. But I never will."

Alligators typically drown their prey before eating it; the dog's body has not been found.

FROM: The Sarasota Herald tribune Thursday Oct. 21st Owner sees alligator drag his dog away HeraldTribune_com.mht

Very sad. An alligator is not really something a dog would see as a threat. Might even be curious. Such a shame. Of course, I blame the owner. If the dog was loose, he shouldn'ta been. If the dog was on his property and the property was on the water, then the owner should be well aware of the dangers.

It's always fascinated me that Floridians ignore gators, just give them plenty of room, and leave them alone unless they're away from the water. Poor gators, too. They're just tryin' ta eat like the rest of us.

Very sad. An alligator is not really something a dog would see as a threat. Might even be curious. Such a shame. Of course, I blame the owner. If the dog was loose, he shouldn'ta been. If the dog was on his property and the property was on the water, then the owner should be well aware of the dangers.

It's always fascinated me that Floridians ignore gators, just give them plenty of room, and leave them alone unless they're away from the water. Poor gators, too. They're just tryin' ta eat like the rest of us.

Please Maggie, I'm sure the owner feels terrible and is blaming himself as it is. Accidents happen, and my heart goes out to him. I can't imagine losing one of my dogs that way and would find it hard to forgive myself. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now.

Please Maggie, I'm sure the owner feels terrible and is blaming himself as it is. Accidents happen, and my heart goes out to him. I can't imagine losing one of my dogs that way and would find it hard to forgive myself. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now.

It wasnt anyones fault. It just happened and its HORRIBLE. Very very sad :(

Thank you for your entries. As mentioned, the dog had cancer. He had several months of life left. If there was anything to 2nd guess, we would have thought of countless other options. This was a rare happening and nature stepped in to spite our care. . . . .So in that respect we do blame ourselves. I took him out once or twice each night between 2 & 4 A.M. I didn't get a good nights sleep for more than 6 months. . .Never complained or regretted it.

In our complex we do not have the luxury of building fences. We considered an invisible fence, but after speaking with two vets, they agreed. An invisible fence will keep the dog in but won't keep the gators out. This would give both the dogs and us a false sense of security.

We have no regrets about our dedication, constant and "spoiling" habits and love. The regret is loosing such a beautiful, loving, gentle life in such a horrific way. Guess you had to be there!

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Thank you for your entries. As mentioned, the dog had cancer. He had several months of life left. If there was anything to 2nd guess, we would have thought of countless other options. This was a rare happening and nature stepped in to spite our care. . . . .So in that respect we do blame ourselves. I took him out once or twice each night between 2 & 4 A.M. I didn't get a good nights sleep for more than 6 months. . .Never complained or regretted it.

In our complex we do not have the luxury of building fences. We considered an invisible fence, but after speaking with two vets, they agreed. An invisible fence will keep the dog in but won't keep the gators out. This would give both the dogs and us a false sense of security.

We have no regrets about our dedication, constant and "spoiling" habits and love. The regret is loosing such a beautiful, loving, gentle life in such a horrific way. Guess you had to be there!

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Oh, my God.

Please accept my most sincerely apology. I had no idea this was a post about you. I thought it was a news release. I never would have posted the way that I did. I'm soooo sorry -- for your loss and for my careless words.

For you: <Rainbow Bridge>

I'm making a stop there on my way out to pick up three (soon to be four) beloved German Shepherds. (Just found out Josh has cancer as well. Damn dogfood.)

I am so sorry.

Oh, my God.

Please accept my most sincerely apology. I had no idea this was a post about you. I thought it was a news release. I never would have posted the way that I did. I'm soooo sorry -- for your loss and for my careless words.

For you: <Rainbow Bridge>

I'm making a stop there on my way out to pick up three (soon to be four) beloved German Shepherds. (Just found out Josh has cancer as well. Damn dogfood.)

I am so sorry.

I'd forgotten about rainbow bridge. Thanks for the link. I'm sorry about Josh's cancer. my Josh is here beside me. I'll put your Josh in my prayers.

This happened to my great uncle. A gator ate his wife's toy poodle. He was ecstatic.

Maggie, I thought it was a news release, too.

DrM, I'm sorry for your devastating loss.

Back
Top Bottom