• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Open Letter to Gen. Milley

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“. . . All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic”: An Open Letter to Gen. Milley

If the commander in chief attempts to ignore the election’s results, you will face a choice.

29289294-0-image-a-60_1591422983706.jpg

8/11/20
Dear General Milley:

As chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, you are well aware of your duties in ordinary times: to serve as principal military advisor to the president of the United States, and to transmit the lawful orders of the president and Secretary of Defense to combatant commanders. In ordinary times, these duties are entirely consistent with your oath to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic…” We do not live in ordinary times. The president of the United States is actively subverting our electoral system, threatening to remain in office in defiance of our Constitution. In a few months’ time, you may have to choose between defying a lawless president or betraying your Constitutional oath. If Donald Trump refuses to leave office at the expiration of his constitutional term, the United States military must remove him by force, and you must give that order. Due to a dangerous confluence of circumstances, the once-unthinkable scenario of authoritarian rule in the United States is now a very real possibility. There can be little doubt that Mr. Trump is facing electoral defeat. More than 160,000 Americans have died from COVID 19, and that toll is likely to rise to 300,000 by November. One in ten U.S. workers is unemployed, and the U.S. economy in the last quarter suffered the greatest contraction in its history.

Faced with these grim prospects, Mr. Trump has engaged in a systemic disinformation campaign to undermine public confidence in our elections. He has falsely claimed that mail-in voting is “inaccurate and fraudulent.” He is actively sabotaging the U.S. Postal Service in an effort to delay and discredit mail-in votes. He has suggested delaying the 2020 election, despite lacking the authority to do so. The stakes of the 2020 election are especially high for Mr. Trump; in defeat, he will likely face criminal prosecution. Given this dizzying array of threats not merely to his political prospects, but also his liberty and wealth, Mr. Trump is following the playbook of dictators throughout history: he is building a private army answerable only to him. In the Constitutional crisis described above, your duty is to give unambiguous orders directing U.S. military forces to support the Constitutional transfer of power. Should you remain silent, you will be complicit in a coup d’état. For 240 years, the United States has been spared the horror of violent political succession. Imperfect though it may be, our Union has been moving toward greater perfection, from one peaceful transfer of power to the next. The rule of law created by our Constitution has made this miracle possible. However, our Constitutional order is not self-sustaining.

What has traditionally been merely an academic exercise has now become a very real possibility.

Under the Constitution, Trumps four year term in office expires on January 20, 2021.

This is tinfoil hat stuff. It’s ridiculous.

Trump has already suggested delaying the election and has attacked the results of the election at least a hundred times, and that's before it even happened. So no, not ridiculous.

This wacky conspiracy theory is way out there. What idiot leftist started it, Maddow?

If the commander in chief attempts to ignore the election’s results, you will face a choice.

What has traditionally been merely an academic exercise has now become a very real possibility.

Under the Constitution, Trumps four year term in office expires on January 20, 2021.

Um, no, it isn't up to the military to enforce the law. This would be nothing short of a coup; proof that you all are hooing for the US to become a third world ****hole run by a military junta.

Trump has already suggested delaying the election and has attacked the results of the election at least a hundred times, and that's before it even happened. So no, not ridiculous.

The rediculous part is the suggestion that the chairman of the joint chiefs act without legal authority. That's some real nut job ****, right there.

Um, no, it isn't up to the military to enforce the law. This would be nothing short of a coup; proof that you all are hooing for the US to become a third world ****hole run by a military junta.

Trump turned it into a banana republic, so just a small step to military dictatorship

Trump hasn't been trying to cast doubt on the election's legitimacy?
Trump hasn't been actively undermining USPS?
Trump hasn't been actively attacking mail-in voting in swing states but championing it in Florida, states he think's he's already got?

Oops, paps got caught lying again. Like always.

The only thing that hasn't happened yet is Trump trying to stay in office unconstitutionally, since January isn't here yet. That's why the open letter uses the word "if".

Do you know what the word "if" means?

This wacky conspiracy theory is way out there. What idiot leftist started it, Maddow?

Q 2024, amirite Trumpist?

"It's their new hoax" and now we have 160,00 dead, amirite Trumpist?

Everything reflecting negatively on Trump is a conspiracy hatched by Obama Deep State Plants and the Men in Black, amirite Trumpist?

As always, you have nothing to say and wouldn't have standing to say it if you did.

Last edited:

As we get closer to election day, Trump will get more radical and go beyond anything ever experienced and rational imagination. As results come in and Biden is declared the statistical winner, Trump's action and orders/instruction/behavior will go ape****.

The rediculous part is the suggestion that the chairman of the joint chiefs act without legal authority. That's some real nut job ****, right there.

The general swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States, not the president. So yes, if Trump refuses to leave office, the general can act against him, and anyone who doesn't is acting against the Constitution.

No, Trump did. When asked if he would step down he said, "I have to see, I don't like to lose". When asked by Chris Wallace on Fox if he would commit to stepping down if he lost he said, "I'm not just going to say yes". So there's your "conspiracy theory" gramps.

Trump won'''t commit to accepting result if he loses election - Los Angeles Times

Pick up a newspaper sometime, and quit watching Fox. You'll be much better educated and I won't have to waste my time putting you straight.

Last edited:
The general swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States, not the president. So yes, if Trump refuses to leave office, the general can act against him, and anyone who doesn't is acting against the Constitution.

Two words: Posse Comitatus

Are you familiar with it?

Trump hasn't been actively attacking mail-in voting in swing states but championing it in Florida, states he think's he's already got?

Oops, paps got caught lying again. Like always.

The only thing that hasn't happened yet is Trump trying to stay in office unconstitutionally, since January isn't here yet. That's why the open letter uses the word "if".

Do you know what the word "if" means?

Q 2024, amirite Trumpist?

"It's their new hoax" and now we have 160,00 dead, amirite Trumpist?

Everything reflecting negatively on Trump is a conspiracy hatched by Obama Deep State Plants and the Men in Black, amirite Trumpist?

As always, you have nothing to say and wouldn't have standing to say it if you did.

I think you need to use a higher quality brand of tinfoil and make sure it covers your ears. Wouldn’t want those gamma rays getting in your ears, right?

Yes, and Trump has called for violating it multiple times. Now, be a good boy and pretend you don't care.

This is about the chairman of the joint chiefs. Can you show us where his law enforcement authority comes from?

This is about the chairman of the joint chiefs. Can you show us where his law enforcement authority comes from?

It certainly doesn't come from Trump. So you disagree with Donald that he has the power to use the military against Americans?

All the claims of voter suppression, gerrymandering isn't coming from Trump.

Its probably more accurate to say Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have undermined USPS.
Trump has to deal with the chronic deficit in that organization.

He has complained about it across the board.
However, his gripe isn't against absentee balloting.

It certainly doesn't come from Trump. So you disagree with Donald that he has the power to use the military against Americans?

Channelling in your inner James Buchanan here...

Two words: Posse Comitatus

Are you familiar with it?

“I, ______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Are you familiar with that?

“I, ______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Are you familiar with this?

Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia

Think about this part of the oath real hard:

I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

What do you think that means?

It doesn't look like he realizes the constitution trumps legislative acts, or that if a prosecutor tried to go after any soldiers involved for violating it they could very likely make a successful necessity defense at trial (that the evil with which one is charged was necessary to avoid a greater evil).

It doesn't look like he realizes the constitution trumps legislative acts, or that if a prosecutor tried to go after any soldiers involved for violating it they could very likely make a successful necessity defense at trial (that the evil with which one is charged was necessary to avoid a greater evil).

That's an officer's oath, not an enlisted man's oath. :lamo

You don't even know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom