• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Open Constitutional Convention is needed NOW more than ever [W:456]

Linc

NIMBY
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. To give our 223-YO Engine an overhaul 2. To keep pols, judges, and media harnessed. 3. To "fix" abuses, misuses, and vaguerities that exist. 4. My issues and so on will come in later posts.

Re: An Open Constitutional Convention is needed NOW more than ever

`Unless it bans abortion, I'm not interested in revising the Constitution.

1. To give our 223-YO Engine an overhaul 2. To keep pols, judges, and media harnessed. 3. To "fix" abuses, misuses, and vaguerities that exist. 4. My issues and so on will come in later posts.

that would be a dangerous thing.

if a constitutional convention would ever be held, ..you would have every special interest group, person with political power, trying in put something into the constitution for their benefit.

I would have the National Constitutional Convention, NCC, in St. Louis, the gateway city with plenty of new sports venues and a great geographical location. The "show-me" state can handle this show of shows.

that would be a dangerous thing.

if a constitutional convention would ever be held, ..you would have every special interest group, person with political power, trying in put something into the constitution for their benefit.
I appreciate your reply, ernst. I figured you'd be on this right away. Please hear me out. I probably won't get it all out tonight.

Feeding this NCC would be 50 OPEN State Constitutional Conventions to be held in state capitals, such as our Springfield, Illinois.

Nope I like the constitution how it is now. Hard to change but can change when change is truly needed.

I appreciate your reply, ernst. I figured you'd be on this right away. Please hear me out. I probably won't get it all out tonight.

sure i understand why people want to amend it, ...i am just saying your going to have people lining up, trying to get something into the constitution that only benefits them.

sure i understand why people want to amend it, ...i am just saying your going to have people lining up, trying to get something into the constitution that only benefits them.

Actually, most would agree people already line up in crooked DC to get what they want. Feeding the State CCs would be county conventions. This is where you and I, the people are. We CAN pull this off.

Lose the 10th Amendment. Rewrite the 2nd Amendment. Kill the 11th Amendment.

`Unless it bans abortion, I'm not interested in revising the Constitution.

Everyone has their top issue. You should get the floor at your county convention to speak against abortion. Everyone has a right to how they rank their issues, in your case, social conservatism.

Lose the 10th Amendment. Rewrite the 2nd Amendment. Kill the 11th Amendment.

So basically do away with a republican form of government.......that's the whole reason I oppose anything of this sort.

So what are the top issues of the day we are unable to solve to the potential demise of our Country? 1) My #1 is the misuse and abuse of the 10th amendment, whether it be with social subissues, gun subissues, pollution, economics, etc. We are supposed to be ONE Nation, the UNITED States.

So what are the top issues of the day we are unable to solve to the potential demise of our Country? 1) My #1 is the misuse and abuse of the 10th amendment, whether it be with social subissues, gun subissues, pollution, economics, etc. We are supposed to be ONE Nation, the UNITED States.

Yes, we are one nation.

Not fifty.

Yes, we are one nation.

Not fifty.

Each State, in ratifying the Constitution, is considered as a sovereign body, independent of all others, and only to be bound by its own voluntary act. In this relation, then, the new Constitution will, if established, be a federal, and not a national constitution--federalist 39

we have a federal government, not a national, were the government controls eveything.

So basically do away with a republican form of government.......that's the whole reason I oppose anything of this sort.

The OP did not say this. Since this is an OPEN thing, everyone must stay on their toes and start playing nice. The original convention was not e-mailed in. They started at the local levels. So should we.

The OP did not say this. Since this is an OPEN thing, everyone must stay on their toes and start playing nice. The original convention was not e-mailed in. They started at the local levels. So should we.

The OP didn't say it but the person I replied to made suggestions which would have exactly that effect.

-edit-
With regard to the OP the only thing I'd agree to along these lines is for the states to get together for the express purpose of reaffirming the Constitution and reasserting the authority that the federal government has bled off over the past century or so.

Each State, in ratifying the Constitution, is considered as a sovereign body, independent of all others, and only to be bound by its own voluntary act. In this relation, then, the new Constitution will, if established, be a federal, and not a national constitution--federalist 39

we have a federal government, not a national, were the government controls eveything.

If you would like it to be called a Federal CC, I'm good with that. I would rather enjoy you at the Federal CC level taking on the 17th, if it got that far.

If you would like it to be called a Federal CC, I'm good with that. I would rather enjoy you at the Federal CC level taking on the 17th, if it got that far.

we are supposed to have 50 independent states, who run their own affairs , the only things which are to tie the states together are the 18 powers of congress and that's all.

if america had a national government, then every state would be the same in all laws.

The OP didn't say it but the person I replied to made suggestions which would have exactly that effect.

That person would get his/her chance to speak, beginning at the county level. Having no limit on the FCC would allow the 50 states to convene in hours to take up emergencies that we cannot foresee at this moment.

Everyone has their top issue. You should get the floor at your county convention to speak against abortion. Everyone has a right to how they rank their issues, in your case, social conservatism.

I am not socially conservative--I just oppose abortion and oppose policies that are ineffective even if they come from Nancy, Harry and their Footman with a certain letter following their names.

The Republican Form of government is one in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whom those powers are specially delegated, individuals retain sovereign prerogatives over their private property rights (absolute ownership) of their person, labor and property.

The democratic form of government, in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the whole body of free citizens[a collective), individuals do not retain sovereign prerogatives over their private property rights, of their person, labor and property.

The U.S. Constitution guarantees a republican form to the states. (See Art.4,Sec.4)

That person would get his/her chance to speak, beginning at the county level. Having no limit on the FCC would allow the 50 states to convene in hours to take up emergencies that we cannot foresee at this moment.

And if the choice to scuttle the Constitution in favor of some kind of national charter then what? If people want to go somewhere and live under a king then let them...but not in this country.

The Republican Form of government is one in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whom those powers are specially delegated, individuals retain sovereign prerogatives over their private property rights (absolute ownership) of their person, labor and property.

The democratic form of government, in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the whole body of free citizens[a collective), individuals do not retain sovereign prerogatives over their private property rights, of their person, labor and property.

The U.S. Constitution guarantees a republican form to the states. (See Art.4,Sec.4)

Correct.

Back
Top Bottom