• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An interesting observation

Logical1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
At the SOTU report a large number of democrat House and Senate women members are wearing WHITE dresses. Isnt that a racist statement. Shouldnt those dresses have been black???????????

Last edited:
At the SOTU report a large number of democrat House and Senate women members are wearing WHITE dresses. Isnt that a racist statement. Shouldnt those dresses have been black???????????

It's a tribute to Women's Suffrage … duh! :roll:

But white dresses, what about women's suffrage for black women?????????

I'm often asked to explain that … That is a pronoun often used in place of This, if you don't understand THIS, THAT will mean nothing to you. :roll:

Good lord you are stupid.

When a liberal is reduced to name calling it means he or she has lost.

What color shirt did you wear today? Was it a statement about race?

Why do you hate white people?

When a liberal is reduced to name calling it means he or she has lost.

No, that is someone not calling you a name but pointing out that your OP was rather stupid, which it certainly was stupid. Every time I think I have read the stupidest OP ever written on this message board, someone comes along with something even stupider. As Trump would say, yours is now the greatest.

Could we get back to the title of the thread. Were all those white dresses racist.

Good lord you are stupid.

Don't tell him that...…...he will run away to keep from entertaining the smart people! LMAO! Who else is willing to look stupid if he leaves?

Could we get back to the title of the thread. Were all those white dresses racist.

We explained it to you and you proved you were not smart enough to understand. If you want to discuss why you are not smart...……..ok. So why are you? Born that way or did you acquire it from an external source? Do we blame your parents or something else? LMAO!

I wore black....no reason really, that's just my style.

Some one pointed out with them sitting all together, it looked like a Klan meeting. All they needed was the hoods. After all it was democrats that invented the KKK.

Why is wearing white a racist statement?

Dresses are inanimate objects. It's illogical to think they are capable of being racist......try harder....

I live in the South and this is the kind of conversation that is considered political debate.

The OP is an interesting observation only if one's IQ is somewhere around 50

We explained it to you and you proved you were not smart enough to understand. If you want to discuss why you are not smart...……..ok. So why are you? Born that way or did you acquire it from an external source? Do we blame your parents or something else? LMAO!

Personal attacks pretty much indicates you have nothing to add, and I win the point.

So when you wore it, what were you saying about black people?

Pretty much nothing. Out here in the fly over country we think little about identity politics like democrats on both coasts do.

But white dresses, what about women's suffrage for black women?????????
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
-- George W. Bush​

Lord, man! Did you even bother to look at the pictures when you read your high school US history texts?

I'm not suggesting that you would have recalled all the details, but in remembering whatever you were taught and read should surely include imagery of "bunch of early 20th century women in white marching." That alone fairly well explains why the Congresswomen last night wore white. And, honestly, other than the names a few women whose specific roles escaped me, I don't expect most folks recall much other than the general nature of a photo or two because, well, that was about all I recalled, so I can't very well expect more than that of anyone else.

1913 Women's Suffrage Parade

y9knddro

Inez Milholland about to lead the parade

y7spq6u7

Margaret van Howe and other suffragettes

yb5fytx4

1913 NYC Women's suffrage parade​

October 1915 Women's Suffrage Parade

ybk4jh2o

1916 Democratic National Convention Suffragette Silent Protest

ydeg3n8k

Why did those pioneering women choose white as the color of their dresses? Specifically, I didn't know, but having not long ago watched the series American Style, I abducted the reason was something pretty straightforward, perhaps this: a bunch of folks wearing all-white stood out amidst the crowds and pretty much everything else in their day of black-and-white-only photography.

Googling gave me a sensible answer in just one shot. Rebecca Boggs Roberts, author of Suffragists in Washington, D.C.: The 1913 Parade and the Fight for the Vote, explains:
  • 2019 SOTU -- "It’s a color that’s going to stand out in a sea of navy suits, so that looks good on television."
  • Re: the early 1900s:
    • The white was also intended to look nonthreatening so people would have a harder time criticizing the women’s appearance as aggressive or masculine.
    • When the biggest publicity tool was newspapers and images were black and white, (if) you make a good photo, it gets reproduced everywhere. And there is nothing they did that they did not consider the visual element to.
    • A century ago, U.S. suffragists carefully chose the colors of their flag. Purple represented loyalty and was a nod to England’s suffragettes. White symbolized purity and contrasted with the flag’s darker colors. Gold paid homage to the sunflowers in Kansas, where Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton had campaigned for the right to vote.
    • White was an accessible costume color for women of all income groups because an ordinary white dress was something everyone had, by simply adding a purple or yellow accessory, voila, suffragist costume. (Nasty Women and Bad Hombres: Gender and Race in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election)

As for black women's suffrage, which couldn't happen sans all women's suffrage, do the names Ida B. Wells, Mary Mcleod Bethune and Mary Church Terrell not ring a bell with you? They too donned suffrage white. As Einav Rabinovitch-Fox notes, dressing like the white suffragists enabled them to simultaneously promote women’s rights and racial equality. That notwithstanding, Black women, though they contributed to advancing the suffragist cause, their being black resulted in notable discounting of their efforts. For instance, black women received no mention in Anthony's and Stanton's History of Woman Suffrage.

Perhaps, however, those three women's names don't ring a bell. That they might not is part of what Blacks refer to when they gripe or remark about the legacy of discrimination in the US. Though Black men and women played important roles in, contributed to and died to aid and abet every major event in
America's development and propagation of freedom -- be it from the British (Crispus Attucks), from slavery, for women's suffrage, workers' rights, etc. -- yet far too often their having done obtain barely a footnote in high school US history texts. Instead, the roles Black Americans played is largely consigned to the content in elective African American history courses.

Back
Top Bottom