• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An interesting look at the Anti Gun Leftwing mindset in light of the Olympics

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The Stigmatized Olympians - WSJ

interesting article about some of the anti gun idiocy our olympians and our US Shooting team members face

At the London Games, which started days after a mass shooting at a movie theater in Colorado, Rhode and other Team USA shooters received anonymous online death threats, requiring additional security.

That's unfortunate.

I do have to admit it always struck me as an odd choice for an Olympic sport, though. Not that it is the only odd fit in the Olympics.

That's unfortunate.

I do have to admit it always struck me as an odd choice for an Olympic sport, though. Not that it is the only odd fit in the Olympics.

shooting has been an Olympic sport since the modern olympics were started 120 years ago

in the first olympics live pigeon shooting was one of the events

most of the early olympic sports had military backgrounds

one of the more obscure events was called Modern Pentathalon that Patton competed in. It was an event designed to test the skills of a military courier

Fencing
Pistol shooting
Running'Swimming
horseback riding

Javelin, Discus, Shot and Hammer throws were all military in origin
same with boxing wrestling, later judo and Tae Kwan Do
Fencing

US shooters are the source of more gold medals than any other sports save swimming and track (which have far more events and athletes)

so shooting has a far stronger pedigree in the olympics than say stuff like Mountain Biking, Trampoline, synchronized swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics (aka Olympic drill team) etc.

and far more countries have shooting teams than say real gymnastics, Diving, volleyball, etc

shooting has been an Olympic sport since the modern olympics were started 120 years ago

in the first olympics live pigeon shooting was one of the events

most of the early olympic sports had military backgrounds

one of the more obscure events was called Modern Pentathalon that Patton competed in. It was an event designed to test the skills of a military courier

Fencing
Pistol shooting
Running'Swimming
horseback riding

Javelin, Discus, Shot and Hammer throws were all military in origin
same with boxing wrestling, later judo and Tae Kwan Do
Fencing

US shooters are the source of more gold medals than any other sports save swimming and track (which have far more events and athletes)

so shooting has a far stronger pedigree in the olympics than say stuff like Mountain Biking, Trampoline, synchronized swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics (aka Olympic drill team) etc.

and far more countries have shooting teams than say real gymnastics, Diving, volleyball, etc

image.jpg

one of my favorite stories involves a Chinese athlete who won the air pistol event at our 84 games. When he was a youth, Sports recruiters for the government traveled throughout the country looking for talent. One of them appeared at his grade school and one of his teachers told the recruiter to pay the farm his father managed a visit. According to the gold medalist, when the sports czar asked how they would recognize the farm, the teacher replied that it had the healthiest crop since the boy was pure hell with a slingshot and killed birds that would eat the corn.

so the sports Commissar showed up and talked to the father. The father called the boy and 30 or so yards away a bird was attacking the corn. The boy pulled out his slingshot and nailed the bird. The Commissar told the father that the family would receive benefits if the boy was selected for training and the family agreed. Several years later, the boy won china's first gold medal in that event.

That's unfortunate.

Hey, if they can include Curling - there sure as hell is no reason not to include the shooting sports! :2razz:

Two comments:

1] With no stats provided, and only anecdotal evidence supplied ("“Shooting is controversial in the United States, because of liberals badmouthing it,” says Margaret Murdock"), I wonder just how much national animosity is really directed towards the team?

2] If animosity is significant (not ascertainable from the article), why would anyone, even those wanting stricter gun regulation in day-to-day society, have a problem with firearms used in this controlled environment?

Hey, if they can include Curling - there sure as hell is no reason not to include the shooting sports! :2razz:

Two comments:

1] With no stats provided, and only anecdotal evidence supplied ("“Shooting is controversial in the United States, because of liberals badmouthing it,” says Margaret Murdock"), I wonder just how much national animosity is really directed towards the team?

2] If animosity is significant (not ascertainable from the article), why would anyone, even those wanting stricter gun regulation in day-to-day society, have a problem with firearms used in this controlled environment?

Especially as it would roll model responsible gun handling and ownership.

That's unfortunate.

Why?

The history of the Olympics stems from warriors, the discus, javaline, shot put, high jump, foot racing all came out of warfare. What was being tested is which tribe had the best warriors.

What's out of place is bull**** like synchronized swimming, especially solo synchronized swimming.

Two comments:

I have a great story about Margaret Murdock. after she won a ton of rifle medals she started trying the polar opposite shooting sport-ISU skeet (which was my speciality) . IN 1988, she competed in the Skeet Trials. Normally one had to shoot a qualifying score to attend (170/200=which is akin to say a 220 bowling game) this event which also was the national championships but there were less than 120 people who both qualified and entered so there were so open spots and LtC Murdock entered ( I believe her brother or brother in law was a former army shotgun athlete and she came with him)

well on the last day of practice she is on my squad. We had two young hotshots and SSGT Matt Dryke-the defending gold medalist and a three time world champion. well MM wasn't exactly crushing the targets and the two young hotshots went up to Matt and I and started saying "WTF is this old lady doing here-she sucks". and I just looked at Matt and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a cigarette. He said "boys. that old lady has more championships than I do, and if you take this cigarette and walk way over to the fence (about 90 yards away) and hold it up, that old lady can take her 22 rifle and shoot that thing in half 100 times in a row.

Neat lady. many people thought she actually won the gold medal instead of Lanny Basham (who was one of my coaches and said that he thought she had won as well so during the medal ceremony, he pulled her up to the top slot on the podium

He has made millions as a mental management consultant to many top athletes

76BashMarg.jpg

I have a great story about Margaret Murdock. after she won a ton of rifle medals she started trying the polar opposite shooting sport-ISU skeet (which was my speciality) . IN 1988, she competed in the Skeet Trials. Normally one had to shoot a qualifying score to attend (170/200=which is akin to say a 220 bowling game) this event which also was the national championships but there were less than 120 people who both qualified and entered so there were so open spots and LtC Murdock entered ( I believe her brother or brother in law was a former army shotgun athlete and she came with him)

well on the last day of practice she is on my squad. We had two young hotshots and SSGT Matt Dryke-the defending gold medalist and a three time world champion. well MM wasn't exactly crushing the targets and the two young hotshots went up to Matt and I and started saying "WTF is this old lady doing here-she sucks". and I just looked at Matt and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a cigarette. He said "boys. that old lady has more championships than I do, and if you take this cigarette and walk way over to the fence (about 90 yards away) and hold it up, that old lady can take her 22 rifle and shoot that thing in half 100 times in a row.

Neat lady. many people thought she actually won the gold medal instead of Lanny Basham (who was one of my coaches and said that he thought she had won as well so during the medal ceremony, he pulled her up to the top slot on the podium

He has made millions as a mental management consultant to many top athletes

View attachment 67200278
I'll tell you', it does seem like a great sport!

I've punched holes in paper with .22's, but nothing like this.

There's something really classic about the shooting sports. I totally see the appeal! :thumbs:

Two comments:

Now there's an interesting idea. You could combine curling with shooting and instead of sweeping the ice your team could just take shots at the stone with 12ga slugs!

There's something really classic about the shooting sports. I totally see the appeal! :thumbs:

what many people don't realize is how different one's mentality has to be for the different shooting sports

I play several racquet sports Tennis, table Tennis, Squash and at one time badminton. Though they all are different (squash you hit under the ball with backspin, tennis top spin mainly, table tennis-all sorts of spin, and badminton there really is no spinning the projectile) though mentality in competition is similar, keep the projectile in play longer than the other guy or put it away before he can.

now the shooting sports have tremendous variation. ISU Skeet, ISU trap, steel shooting, IPSC etc-adrenalin junky sports you have to pounce on the target. no time to second guess your sight picture, you see the target you shoot it. ISU Trap targets going 70+ miles an hour. Steel shooters, draw and shoot six rounds-under 2 seconds sometimes. ISU skeet, you have less than a half a second to nail the second target on doubles before its out of bounds

switch over to prone small bore rifle or free pistol. all you see is the front sight on the target. breathe slowly, get that pulse rate down (Athens Silver Medalist, Olympic free rifle, Major Mike Anti was one of my suite mates on a junior team 25 years earlier-he was a middle school kid who used to go out running with me (I was playing varsity college squash as well as shooting and I had to stay in top shape) at the USOTC because he wanted to keep his heart rate as low as possible so he could shoot between his heart beats). Concentrate, be as still as possible. almost like a trance some would say

Soviet Biathalon champion I read about was able to drop his heart beat from well over 120 BPM while skiing down to a beat a second or better when shooting the rifle stage of that uber demanding winter sport

shooting sports have something for just about every personality

Last edited:
Why?

The history of the Olympics stems from warriors, the discus, javaline, shot put, high jump, foot racing all came out of warfare. What was being tested is which tribe had the best warriors.

What's out of place is bull**** like synchronized swimming, especially solo synchronized swimming.

Solo synchronized swimming? How can that even be a thing? It's an oxymoron.
Damn. I've been so left behind...

Solo synchronized swimming? How can that even be a thing? It's an oxymoron.
Damn. I've been so left behind...

any event that requires the judges to award points based on the "Expressions" of the athletes is not a competitive sport but an art form. Sadly, the olympics are tv revenue driven so "sports" like beach volleyball (a refuge for has been real volleyball players) and syncro swimming which features hot girls in bikinis or leotards are chosen because people who don't really care about athletics tune in to watch

any event that requires the judges to award points based on the "Expressions" of the athletes is not a competitive sport but an art form. Sadly, the olympics are tv revenue driven so "sports" like beach volleyball (a refuge for has been real volleyball players) and syncro swimming which features hot girls in bikinis or leotards are chosen because people who don't really care about athletics tune in to watch

What's that called where women are dancing and waving a long ribbon or juggling one ball? Rhythmic gymnastics or something. That's another one. Even figure skating seems more athletic.
I like the track and field events and some team sports but I almost prefer the winter Olympics.

Bah. It's like yachting, a diversion for the privileged class.

(duck!)

Bah. It's like yachting, a diversion for the privileged class.

(duck!)
Well, this I can tell you:

As soon as I hit the legal age to purchase, I was buying guns & punching holes in paper.

Many years and guns later, I have yet to purchase a yacht!
:2razz:

(goose!)

That's unfortunate.

My two cents. Shooting effectively and properly requires discipline, to do so for extended periods of time does require a bit of stamina and at least a minimal overall level of physical fitness, also, to stay on target does require hand-eye coordination and of course practice to insure that consistent results are the norm. There are those who take lax standards in marksmanship to a horrid level, but they are akin to the fat computer nerd swinging a katana recklessly unlike his kenjutsu trained peer.

Two comments:

The answer to number 2 is actually very simple: Those who say they want "stricter gun regulation" are lying to themselves and to everyone else. What they really want is the remove all firearms...they want a ban. Stricter gun regulation is just a step toward their real goal.

The answer to number 2 is actually very simple: Those who say they want "stricter gun regulation" are lying to themselves and to everyone else. What they really want is the remove all firearms...they want a ban. Stricter gun regulation is just a step toward their real goal.
Well, that's never going to happen; nor should it.

But saying all wanting regs are lying, isn't factual. For some, perhaps many, but not all. I personally see no problem being for reasonable regs *and* concurrently supporting the 2A; I'm one of them.

I can definitely see the fears though.

What's that called where women are dancing and waving a long ribbon or juggling one ball? Rhythmic gymnastics or something. That's another one. Even figure skating seems more athletic.
I like the track and field events and some team sports but I almost prefer the winter Olympics.

Rhythmic gymnastics is a joke and it was created for girls who developed boobs and no longer could do real gymnastics

it remains because, as I noted, pretty girls in leotards draws tv audiences

Back
Top Bottom