• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An interesting insight?

Never said that...then only then do they become a true friend...

"For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, that one is my brother and sister and mother.” Matthew 12:50

You should probably read what I said more carefully...

Speaking strictly from the Christian point of view, if you are using God to make enemies then you are, at minimum, doing it wrong.

Where did I say anything about "friend", that concept was introduced by you. I said Christians don't "make enemies", and the original post was about actively choosing to hate people.

You should probably read what I said more carefully...

Where did I say anything about "friend", that concept was introduced by you. I said Christians don't "make enemies", and the original post was about actively choosing to hate people.
Rightbackatcha...I never mentioned hating anyone, either...

Speaking strictly from the Christian point of view, if you are using God to make enemies then you are, at minimum, doing it wrong.

Hi!

Given the apparent mismatch between the character and actions of Mr. Donald Trump and the close relationship between him and many evangelicals, I'm having a bit of a rough time in divining just what the Christian viewpoint is these latter days.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Rightbackatcha...I never mentioned hating anyone, either...

What "backatcha"? You challenged my statement regarding Christians not making enemies, and you defended it by changing the argument to "friends".

Furthermore, when I stated that Christians aren't supposed to make sinners the enemy you said they are... but that would mean that Christians would make everyone, even fellow Christians, the enemy since everyone sins... which would preclude your version of Christian from making "friends" at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What "backatcha"? You challenged my statement regarding Christians not making enemies, and you defended it by changing the argument to "friends".

Furthermore, when I stated that Christians aren't supposed to make sinners the enemy you said they are... but that would mean that Christians would make everyone, even fellow Christians, the enemy since everyone sins... which would preclude your version of Christian from making "friends" at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No, I used God's Word to show you, like it or not, a Christian automatically has enemies just because of our beliefs...it is up to us to try to make them our friends/brother/sisters...their choice as to whether to accept our offer of not...

Just today, I heard someone present this idea: You know you have made God in your image when you find that God hates exactly the same people that you hate.

God hates the sin but, loves the sinner. If He didn’t we would be doomed.

No, I used God's Word to show you, like it or not, a Christian automatically has enemies just because of our beliefs...it is up to us to try to make them our friends/brother/sisters...their choice as to whether to accept our offer of not...

But Christianity isn't actively making enemies, people are choosing to make enemy of Christians. You have now adjusted your objection to what I said to the point that you agree with my initial post so I guess we're done.?

Hi!

Given the apparent mismatch between the character and actions of Mr. Donald Trump and the close relationship between him and many evangelicals, I'm having a bit of a rough time in divining just what the Christian viewpoint is these latter days.

The Bible is filled with stories of God moving his flock forward through very imperfect people. You think Trump is bad? He has nothing on King David. Read the book of Kings sometime. :oops:

Christians can hate the sin while not hating the sinner. If a morally flawed man helps promote the kingdom of God then he's of more value than a man who claims to be a man of god but works against God's Kingdom.

Many Christians see Trump as an immoral man who still seeks to keep the Government out of the way of the free practice of religion while Biden and Obama claim moral righteousness while bending the power of government against the free practice of religion.

Just today, I heard someone present this idea: You know you have made God in your image when you find that God hates exactly the same people that you hate.

We saw all of those good christians on january the sixth in all of their glory and you can bet your bottom dollar many inside the capitol consider themselves good christians. My god doesn't hate, I don't have one. I lost mine decades ago and never felt the need for a replacement.

The Bible is filled with stories of God moving his flock forward through very imperfect people. You think Trump is bad? He has nothing on King David. Read the book of Kings sometime. :oops:

Christians can hate the sin while not hating the sinner. If a morally flawed man helps promote the kingdom of God then he's of more value than a man who claims to be a man of god but works against God's Kingdom.

Many Christians see Trump as an immoral man who still seeks to keep the Government out of the way of the free practice of religion while Biden and Obama claim moral righteousness while bending the power of government against the free practice of religion.
I'm wondering if you could give examples of Obama or Biden using the power of government to hurt the free practice of religion. After all both are
men of religion, whereas trump couldn't bother to attend services. I can't think of a thing to back up the statements you made about any of the three men.

I'm wondering if you could give examples of Obama or Biden using the power of government to hurt the free practice of religion. After all both are
men of religion, whereas trump couldn't bother to attend services. I can't think of a thing to back up the statements you made about any of the three men.

Things like Obama's DOJ taking the Little Sisters of the Poor to court to force them to provide birth control. Biden's EO that is attempting to nullify the Hyde Amendment, which would force Christian tax payers to fund abortion, and so on.

But Christianity isn't actively making enemies, people are choosing to make enemy of Christians. You have now adjusted your objection to what I said to the point that you agree with my initial post so I guess we're done.?
Wrong...but we are done...

Proverbs 25:21-22
If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
For you will heap burning coals on his head,
And the Lord will reward you.
What?
I'm well aware of what the Bible teaches. All men and women are sinners, we all are lying in the power of evil. If you believe otherwise you are trapped in the most insidious sin of all, Pride.

We are not tasked with spreading God's message through hate, we are tasked with spreading it through love of our neighbors.

There will be people who oppose us for what we believe, and they will present themselves as our enemy... but we are not meant to foster that enmity and animosity in return.

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Romans 12:14-21
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation

Proverbs 25:21-22
If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
For you will heap burning coals on his head,
And the Lord will reward you.

Luke 6:35
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Exodus 23:5
If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying helpless under its load, you shall refrain from leaving it to him, you shall surely release it with him.

1 Corinthians 16:14
Let all that you do be done in love.

And so on...
None of that says you can't have enemies or defend yourself etc.

Hi!

A quick summary would be that the ends justify using whatever means are available. An interesting morality, that.

We saw all of those good christians on january the sixth in all of their glory and you can bet your bottom dollar many inside the capitol consider themselves good christians. My god doesn't hate, I don't have one. I lost mine decades ago and never felt the need for a replacement.

Hi!

I've noted in the past that I consider myself a secular humanist. That means, among other things, a respect for each member of good ol' h. sapiens. Each of us is unique. Each of us happens once. As far as organized faiths are concerned, I have concerns about them to the degree that they attempt to impose their beliefs on me. I've little difficulty, barring extremes, with faiths practicing their beliefs within their own memberships.

Hi!

A quick summary would be that the ends justify using whatever means are available. An interesting morality, that.

No, you are simply confusing individual sin with collective sin. Trump's sins are between Trump and God, not between me and Trump. As a matter of POLICY Trump supported the free exercise of religion for the individual while Obama and Biden really don't. Obama and Biden see religion as something that needs regulation because largely their "religious" beliefs are secular rather than spiritual.

No, you are simply confusing individual sin with collective sin. Trump's sins are between Trump and God, not between me and Trump. As a matter of POLICY Trump supported the free exercise of religion for the individual while Obama and Biden really don't. Obama and Biden see religion as something that needs regulation because largely their "religious" beliefs are secular rather than spiritual.

Hi!

I stand by my statement as quoted.

Except know your thoughts, right, and what you're going to do tomorrow?
Wrong...otherwise our silent prayers would not be heard nor could we commit adultery in our hearts...

While she prayed for a long time before Jehovah, Eli was watching her mouth. Hannah was speaking in her heart, only her lips were trembling, but her voice was not heard. So Eli thought she was drunk." 1 Samuel 1:12,13

"But I say to you that everyone who keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28

Back
Top Bottom