• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Independent US

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Part 1:
Would you vote for a President or Congress Critter that had a platform based on making it to where the US was totally indepent of ANY nation? Meaning that all of our essential materials being mined or made in the US.

I'm sure that many will say "hell no!" to that because then it would use up OUR resources and in the end make us even more beholden to other nations. But I would expect that to take a long time as the US is not resource poor by any stretch of the imagination. Especially if we work it right.

For example:

Institute an agency that is like NASA in that it is about research. Only this agency would focus on more terrestrial concerns. Such as renewable energy or just plain better ways of securing energy period, so that we are not beholden to countries with oil (even though we have tons ourselves we still seem to want to use others). Technology that would benefit mankind such as prosthetics for those with missing limbs or machines that make surgery safer and easier. For example some companies are trying to make it to where 3D printing technology can make organs that are transplantable into humans. Wouldn't it be much easier just to make a heart than be on a waiting list? Other things that they could work on is more fuel efficent vehicles, more efficient batteries etc etc.

Once something is "discovered" it can be patented and placed in the name of a citizen that is chosen at random. That citizen can then decide to sell it to a company or decide to try and manufacture it. If they decide to manufacture it the government would give them enough capitol to last 1 year with a company employing 50 people (anything beyond that 50 must be paid by that citizen and anything below that 50 the citizen must pay back to the government). If that citizen fails then the patent will revert back to the government and then a major corporation may BID on it. If the citizen succeeds that citizen must also agree to let the government buy that product for its own use AT COST and the rest of the country to buy that product at a max of 10-20 percent (open to other suggestions in place of this number) mark up for 15 years.

Part 2:
Basically the goal of this agency would be to develop technology and ways in which to make the country completely independent.

I know there are lots of people that would prefer to get the government completely out of any R&D research and leave it to private corporations but plain fact of the matter is that corporations will only research things that they would deem cost effective in the long run and will make them money. Lots of it. Yet NASA has proven time and again that even with the limited amount of money that they are given each year they STILL make 2-3 dollars for this country for every dollar that they spend. And they keep churning out things that are useful to society. If a company can't see themselves making more than that on something then they simply won't deal with it. Whether its useful or not.

Note that this is just a generalized idea. Meant to encourage independence, and self-suffiency. It is NOT an idea that is meant to isolate the US from the rest of the world. But it would give us more options in how we treat the rest of the world, and even in how the world treats us. We would still help those that need it. And being a generalized idea it is obviously not fully fleshed out. I'm looking for commentary that ADDS to this idea. Not detract from it. So please, if you do not like the idea simply say so, explain if you want, but ultimately let others discuss possible ways to make this idea better. I'm not set on this idea of another agency. I'm quite willing to hear other alternatives that aim at making the US independent and not beholden to other countries, yet advance our country technologically speaking while also helping our citizens.

Last note: This agency btw would NOT research any form of weaponry...though defensive technology would be acceptable. Example JUST to illistrate what I mean: Shields like in Star Trek. (I know I know...it was JUST an example to get my point across nothing more)

Part 1:
Would you vote for a President or Congress Critter that had a platform based on making it to where the US was totally indepent of ANY nation? Meaning that all of our essential materials being mined or made in the US.

I'm sure that many will say "hell no!" to that because then it would use up OUR resources and in the end make us even more beholden to other nations. But I would expect that to take a long time as the US is not resource poor by any stretch of the imagination. Especially if we work it right.

For example:

Institute an agency that is like NASA in that it is about research. Only this agency would focus on more terrestrial concerns. Such as renewable energy or just plain better ways of securing energy period, so that we are not beholden to countries with oil (even though we have tons ourselves we still seem to want to use others). Technology that would benefit mankind such as prosthetics for those with missing limbs or machines that make surgery safer and easier. For example some companies are trying to make it to where 3D printing technology can make organs that are transplantable into humans. Wouldn't it be much easier just to make a heart than be on a waiting list? Other things that they could work on is more fuel efficent vehicles, more efficient batteries etc etc.

Once something is "discovered" it can be patented and placed in the name of a citizen that is chosen at random. That citizen can then decide to sell it to a company or decide to try and manufacture it. If they decide to manufacture it the government would give them enough capitol to last 1 year with a company employing 50 people (anything beyond that 50 must be paid by that citizen and anything below that 50 the citizen must pay back to the government). If that citizen fails then the patent will revert back to the government and then a major corporation may BID on it. If the citizen succeeds that citizen must also agree to let the government buy that product for its own use AT COST and the rest of the country to buy that product at a max of 10-20 percent (open to other suggestions in place of this number) mark up for 15 years.

Sounds a lot like my idea to privatize the entire medical system, rationalize it and get it fixed, then sell it off in 20 years.....Likely a good idea that we are not even close to being able to pull off because this society is already too weak from rot.

We are all just hanging around for the Big Crash now.....****ing around actually far too many of us.....you see this on DP constantly of course.

Sounds a lot like my idea to privatize the entire medical system, rationalize it and get it fixed, then sell it off in 20 years.....Likely a good idea that we are not even close to being able to pull off because this society is already too weak from rot.

We are all just hanging around for the Big Crash now.....****ing around actually far too many of us.....you see this on DP constantly of course.

The "big crash" WILL happen with a defeatest attitude. Be better.

Back
Top Bottom