• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An idealistic man, Edward Snowden, supporters and opponents?

wrencep

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I tried to analyze Snowden's case and got tangled. I even don't quite understand the motives of his actions.
He seems to have sacrificed his career, life and freedom to give us the truth. He showed us unlawful NSA activity, especially in Europe.

Surfing the Internet I found a lot of blogs, sites, social network pages supporting him. These are the most interesting:
Stop NSA - Free Europe
GGSideDocs: NSA revelations over the last month
NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things' - YouTube

I won't praise or abuse him. I would like to know your opinion and maybe after this I will form my own.

I tried to analyze Snowden's case and got tangled. I even don't quite understand the motives of his actions.
He seems to have sacrificed his career, life and freedom to give us the truth. He showed us unlawful NSA activity, especially in Europe.

Surfing the Internet I found a lot of blogs, sites, social network pages supporting him. These are the most interesting:
Stop NSA - Free Europe
GGSideDocs: NSA revelations over the last month
NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things' - YouTube

I won't praise or abuse him. I would like to know your opinion and maybe after this I will form my own.

Look, the US government was indiscriminately spying on everyone, its enemies, neutral states, its allies and its people. Snowden realised that not only was this wrong, but threatened peoples liberties and privacy, he felt it was his duty as a government worker (ie someone who is meant to serve the people) to release this information to the public. The NSA broke the laws and Snowden revealed this. Snowden is the proverbial detective who revealed that it was the big guy who did the crimes, not the little guy. Blanket monitoring of peoples communications is a violation of privacy and is not the duty of the government, serving the people is not watching them.

The NSA spied on people and violated their privacy no end and when their privacy is violated, they throw a massive tantrum. The hypocrisy in the US government and the EU over this is amazing as not only were they watching their allies but gave them the means to watch their citizens as well as them. This shows how governments of supposedly "free" and "democratic" countries have corrupt leaders who wish to increase the power of their government over citizens. If this is allowed to continue then eventually echo's of fascism may return.

Back
Top Bottom