• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An idea to abolish the H1B program

Moderate71

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have an idea that I believe could help us eliminate the H1B program.

EducationTabarrok.png

If you look at the graphic, you can see that students aren't majoring in as many of the STEM fields. This is because of the H1B program and fears of their job being outsourced. Here is a solution. Financial incentives for school administrators and teachers. The government pays school administrators, guidance counselors, and instructors massive cash payments if they can graduate X number of people with a degree in various STEM fields. For example, if a college increases the number of Mechanical Engineering graduates from 100 to 600 in 5 years, certain school employees can earn double or triple their annual salary that year. In fact, they could be threatened with being fired if they don't produce X number of graduates in various STEM fields. It would light a fire under them and they would simply get it done. They would encourage 50% of the people in Visual and Performing Arts to transfer into Computer Science or Chemical Engineering, etc. and the instructors would work harder to help them graduate. We would have so many people to fill those jobs, we wouldn't need the H1B program.

View attachment 67245790

If you look at the graphic, you can see that students aren't majoring in as many of the STEM fields. This is because of the H1B program and fears of their job being outsourced. Here is a solution. Financial incentives for school administrators and teachers. The government pays school administrators, guidance counselors, and instructors massive cash payments if they can graduate X number of people with a degree in various STEM fields. For example, if a college increases the number of Mechanical Engineering graduates from 100 to 600 in 5 years, certain school employees can earn double or triple their annual salary that year. In fact, they could be threatened with being fired if they don't produce X number of graduates in various STEM fields. It would light a fire under them and they would simply get it done. They would encourage 50% of the people in Visual and Performing Arts to transfer into Computer Science or Chemical Engineering, etc. and the instructors would work harder to help them graduate. We would have so many people to fill those jobs, we wouldn't need the H1B program.

And we think the grade inflation problem is bad now.

You'd have to introduce some kind of standardized testing to keep the schools honest about how they're meeting their target numbers.

View attachment 67245790

People dont take demanding fields of study that leads to work that is paid for because increasingly Americas are sure that we are too good for work.

The "students" are consumers now, and the market place gives them what they want.

Too often a very expensive 4-6 year experience that allows them to avoid working.

You can't really force students to study something they dont want. And getting rid of h1bs wont create jobs for americans. It will just ship jobs to India. I know first hand that some h1b's are much smarter than americans. The program needs reform but shouldn't be scrapped.

View attachment 67245790

If you look at the graphic, you can see that students aren't majoring in as many of the STEM fields. This is because of the H1B program and fears of their job being outsourced. Here is a solution.

Financial incentives for school administrators and teachers. The government pays school administrators, guidance counselors, and instructors massive cash payments if they can graduate X number of people with a degree in various STEM fields.

For example, if a college increases the number of Mechanical Engineering graduates from 100 to 600 in 5 years, certain school employees can earn double or triple their annual salary that year. In fact, they could be threatened with being fired if they don't produce X number of graduates in various STEM fields. It would light a fire under them and they would simply get it done. They would encourage 50% of the people in Visual and Performing Arts to transfer into Computer Science or Chemical Engineering, etc. and the instructors would work harder to help them graduate. We would have so many people to fill those jobs, we wouldn't need the H1B program.

Red:
From what credible source did you obtain that causal relationship?

Pink:
What militates for eliminating the H1B visa program?

Blue:
From where do you imagine schools will obtain the additional 100 qualified program applicants? I mean, really. What share of the population do you imagine even takes calculus I (or even enter college prepared or disposed to do so)? (to say nothing of the rest of the math and science courses engineers must take for a Mech-E B.S. degree)

I the questions above because proposal to overcome "something" has to be implementable. The "best" idea in the world that cannot be implemented is in fact an ill-considered, thus bad, idea.

And we think the grade inflation problem is bad now.

You'd have to introduce some kind of standardized testing to keep the schools honest about how they're meeting their target numbers.

I didn't "go there" in my response, but yes, that too.

Red:
From what credible source did you obtain that causal relationship?

Pink:
What militates for eliminating the H1B visa program?

Blue:
From where do you imagine schools will obtain the additional 100 qualified program applicants? I mean, really. What share of the population do you imagine even takes calculus I (or even enter college prepared or disposed to do so)? (to say nothing of the rest of the math and science courses engineers must take for a Mech-E B.S. degree)

I the questions above because proposal to overcome "something" has to be implementable. The "best" idea in the world that cannot be implemented is in fact an ill-considered, thus bad, idea.

At school, a survey among students who left the Computer Science major overwhelmingly listed H1B concerns as the second highest reason for transferring to another major. The third highest was far below.

Guidance Counselors would be paid a bounty for every student they can get to declare certain fields as their major once that student graduates. They can even share it with the student. They simply do everything they can to convince, for example, Sociology majors to become Physics majors. The counselor, the teachers, and the student would all benefit. As far as standards are concerned, that is simple. Every single field of study will have to have the same drop out rate and average GPA among students with no exceptions. A lot of the STEM fields are too elitist.

If tons of students switch over to STEM, they will simply take the Math courses at that time. We could even get around that by requiring a minor in Mathematics for every field even outside of STEM. This would reduce the number of people avoiding Math by not going into STEM.

Last edited:
The H1B program does need reform. One of my coworkers is on H1B and he’s basically being abused by his employer. He needs them to process his paperwork so if he complains anything they do they can threaten to scrap his application.

Once he complained that they were cheating him with inflated fees and they almost booted him.

He works as a contractor for employer. My employer is a rich bank that loves to save money by outsourcing offshoring even when they are making billions a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The H1B program does need reform. One of my coworkers is on H1B and he’s basically being abused by his employer. He needs them to process his paperwork so if he complains anything they do they can threaten to scrap his application.

Once he complained that they were cheating him with inflated fees and they almost booted him.

He works as a contractor for employer. My employer is a rich bank that loves to save money by outsourcing offshoring even when they are making billions a year.

I honestly believe some people want to see Americans laid off and jobs to go overseas. No idea you present will ever be considered if it involves Americans working harder and out-competing foreigners.

I honestly believe some people want to see Americans laid off and jobs to go overseas. No idea you present will ever be considered if it involves Americans working harder and out-competing foreigners.

It's a numbers game. Some folks want to pay less and hire foreigners to accomplish that; they're hired as contractors too because then they don't have to pay benefits.

It's a numbers game. Some folks want to pay less and hire foreigners to accomplish that; they're hired as contractors too because then they don't have to pay benefits.

That problem isn't exclusive to h1bs but US citizens as well. All fields use contractors for the reason you mentioned. Even the fed govt uses contractors.

Did you suggest that having a US citizen baby might help? Just wait till he is 18 and he can apply for you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom