• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An idea for term limits.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
An idea for term limits.

Congress as usual has an astoundingly low approval rating, and yet we vote the same people into office over and over. Should we demand congress impose term limits for themselves to protect us from us?

I would like to see senators terms knocked down to four years, two terms max and then out of government and no lobbying for life.

House members, two year terms remain, limited to four terms and then out of government and no lobbying for life.

Thoughts?

I think that is better than what we have. I would prefer something like:

1. Senators, Representatives, and Presidents May serve a single 6 year term.

2. No re-election to the same office, though they could run for a different office. (I do think there are some advantages to Presidents with experience in other branches of the government.)

3. No lobbying for life.

An idea for term limits.

Congress as usual has an astoundingly low approval rating, and yet we vote the same people into office over and over. Should we demand congress impose term limits for themselves to protect us from us?

I would like to see senators terms knocked down to four years, two terms max and then out of government and no lobbying for life.

House members, two year terms remain, limited to four terms and then out of government and no lobbying for life.

Thoughts?

I think 2 six year terms for senate and 3 two year terms for congress. A 5 year waiting period between elected and appointed positions. So someone who used up all their terms as senator couldn't immediately run for congress or vice versa, nor could they run for president or be appointed to a position until five years after their term is finished.

Well you’d need a Constitutional amendment which likely won’t happen any time soon.

I’m on th fence about it. It seems to me that voter apathy is the real problem here. You have to ask yourself why we vote incombents in time and again. Is it because we think they’re doing an outstanding job or because most of us just don’t give a ****?

So I guess my question is would term limits simply be a bandaid?

An idea for term limits.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I have a thought.

Get to work on the Constitutional Amendment right now. In 20 or 30 years...maybe...you'll get it passed.

An idea for term limits.

Thoughts?

Sure, now ask yourself this one question. What are the chances of congress actually voting term limits for themselves?

An idea for term limits.

Thoughts?

California tried it and found it was unconstitutional. Gotta change an amendment.

Congress’s problem is the 24 hour microscope has completely immobilized them.

California tried it and found it was unconstitutional. Gotta change an amendment.

Congress’s problem is the 24 hour microscope has completely immobilized them.

Their fear of standing up for their own principles and losing their seat in the process is my guess. Analysis to paralysis.

Back
Top Bottom