• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Idea for Cutting Corporate Taxes

jet57

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
So, a lot of people here think that corporate taxes are too high, and other don't. So I was interested in my drug store CVS and looked them up and was fascinated to learn how much political influence that they buy and that they are quite public about it:

Political Activities & Contributions | CVS Health

CVS Health participates in the political process to help shape public policy and address legislation that has a direct impact on the company. The engagement ensures that the interests of our business, customers, shareholders and employees are fairly represented at all levels of government.

And THIS! shows how much money they spent on state levels just for 2015:

http://cvshealth.com/sites/default/files/Political Activities and Contributions.pdf

So here's an idea; if the corps want low or no taxes, then like churches, they have to stop political action and contributions.

Whadd'ya think?

It should just be illegal regardless.

So, a lot of people here think that corporate taxes are too high, and other don't. So I was interested in my drug store CVS and looked them up and was fascinated to learn how much political influence that they buy and that they are quite public about it:

http://cvshealth.com/sites/default/files/Political Activities and Contributions.pdf

So here's an idea; if the corps want low or no taxes, then like churches, they have to stop political action and contributions.

Whadd'ya think?

Why would you want groups of persons to be forbidden to make donations?

Why would you want groups of persons to be forbidden to make donations?

(chuckle)

Nice try. These are corporate donations we're talking about. Please stick to the subject.

(chuckle)

Nice try. These are corporate donations we're talking about. Please stick to the subject.

But they are groups of persons!

as soon as unions are forbidden from donating to any person or party, we can talk

But they are groups of persons!

Then because of all the money they make, they should be taxed at 90% just like the old days.

as soon as unions are forbidden from donating to any person or party, we can talk

I agree. I've never liked unions in politics.

So, should corps stop political action to get lower or no tax?

This makes no sense. Why do you want to punish people for making money.

Its not a good idea to tax entity that creates jobs. Its simple greed and envy to do so. It is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

All burden of tax falls onto individuals. There's no such thing as a burden of tax falling on an evil corporation. The burden either fall on the shareholders, its vendors, employees, or a combination of the above.

Then because of all the money they make, they should be taxed at 90% just like the old days.

Whadd'ya think?

It's silly trying to lump Corps with 'separation from church and state'. Also churches are not forbidden political action.

It's silly trying to lump Corps with 'separation from church and state'. Also churches are not forbidden political action.

I never said "lump them in", I said give them the choice. And churches ARE forbidden if they want to remain tax fee.

This makes no sense. Why do you want to punish people for making money.

Its not a good idea to tax entity that creates jobs. Its simple greed and envy to do so. It is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

All burden of tax falls onto individuals. There's no such thing as a burden of tax falling on an evil corporation. The burden either fall on the shareholders, its vendors, employees, or a combination of the above.

Did I say "punish people for making money" somewhere? I don't think I did. I said "if corps want lower or no taxes, then require that they stay out of politics".

Whadd'ya think?

Here's my idea. We should set a date after which we will confiscate all money held overseas by American corporations. We give the companies 6 months to repatriate their cash at the going tax rate instead of taking it all. That is nearly a 70% reduction in the tax rate.

You implied it. And the freedom to associate says that rights should not be abridged because of your associations. Corporations should not pay taxes because it makes economic sense and they should be allowed to be involved in politics because it is their right - or rather, their right to do so should not be abridged simply because people choose to form a corporation.

Did I say "punish people for making money" somewhere? I don't think I did. I said "if corps want lower or no taxes, then require that they stay out of politics".

Nice try, Comrade.

Here's my idea. We should set a date after which we will confiscate all money held overseas by American corporations. We give the companies 6 months to repatriate their cash at the going tax rate instead of taking it all. That is nearly a 70% reduction in the tax rate.

I'll be first in line for that. We should have ceased those accounts along time ago: it's theft.

I agree. I've never liked unions in politics.

So, should corps stop political action to get lower or no tax?

I don't have an issue with a company talking to their local politicians

Especially companies moving into an area bringing jobs

If they can get reduced sewer/water, or reduced taxes while they grow....in my opinion it is a win/win for both

But conglomerates with all their lobbyists....no

I don't think it belongs in politics at all....

I think money has screwed up the whole system....period

It shouldn't cost a billion dollars to run for president.....

Political favors for both sides have completely ****ed up the whole thing.....I would love all money basically out of politics, and the career politician a thing of the past

You implied it. And the freedom to associate says that rights should not be abridged because of your associations. Corporations should not pay taxes because it makes economic sense and they should be allowed to be involved in politics because it is their right - or rather, their right to do so should not be abridged simply because people choose to form a corporation.

I never implied anything of the kind in anything I said. That's your particular politics talking. What I'm suggesting is a-political: neutral.

And it's customary to reply under someone's quote.

I never said "lump them in", I said give them the choice. And churches ARE forbidden if they want to remain tax fee.
Then you must define "political action" as you are using it.

I don't have an issue with a company talking to their local politicians

Especially companies moving into an area bringing jobs

If they can get reduced sewer/water, or reduced taxes while they grow....in my opinion it is a win/win for both

But conglomerates with all their lobbyists....no

I don't think it belongs in politics at all....

I think money has screwed up the whole system....period

It shouldn't cost a billion dollars to run for president.....

Political favors for both sides have completely ****ed up the whole thing.....I would love all money basically out of politics, and the career politician a thing of the past

Right; we agree completely. But what do you think of corps getting out of politics to get tax breaks?

LOL Then the entire middle class should not pay taxes because that makes even more "economic sense". Every dollar taxed away comes out of their spending and hurts the GDP. Corporations may not participate in politics because the are not speaking for all members of the company making it unfair to those members who contribute against their will.

I'll be first in line for that. We should have ceased those accounts along time ago: it's theft.

You guys do realize that conglomerates make money in other countries, right?

And they pay taxes in the countries where the money was made in most cases

So if the products, sales, and profits never touch our borders, you still want to steal a portion of their money?

Right; we agree completely. But what do you think of corps getting out of politics to get tax breaks?

Not following your question or train of thought

Companies use lobbyists.to try to get advantageous tax rules for themselves

I already made my pov on lobbyists very clear

You guys do realize that conglomerates make money in other countries, right?

And they pay taxes in the countries where the money was made in most cases

So if the products, sales, and profits never touch our borders, you still want to steal a portion of their money?

It's theft dude.

Back
Top Bottom