• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Honest Candidate for President?? Could It Be??

braymoore

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So let's just say that a politician started his career and was always honest. Maybe a white lie here and there but nothing to serious that he used to take advantage of someone or use for his gain. If he were able to work his way up the ranks to the point where he could become the candidate for President of his party, would he win the election? Why or why not?

My opinion is this. It would be almost impossible for him to work his way up the "ranks" without lying. To actually become the candidate of one of the two bigger parties you must tell several lies. And the way the country is looking nowadays they wouldn't even think about voting for someone who is honest. We always seem to want the greater of the two evils. But if someone could make it that high in politics being honest I would gladly tip my hat to them. It would be an almost impossible achievement in today's politics.

If you are a good man, why would you have to lie?
So let's just say that a politician started his career and was always honest. Maybe a white lie here and there but nothing to serious that he used to take advantage of someone or use for his gain. If he were able to work his way up the ranks to the point where he could become the candidate for President of his party, would he win the election? Why or why not?

My opinion is this. It would be almost impossible for him to work his way up the "ranks" without lying. To actually become the candidate of one of the two bigger parties you must tell several lies. And the way the country is looking nowadays they wouldn't even think about voting for someone who is honest. We always seem to want the greater of the two evils. But if someone could make it that high in politics being honest I would gladly tip my hat to them. It would be an almost impossible achievement in today's politics.

I understand that I would love to have a candidate who was just that, A GOOD MAN. But like I said it would be very difficult for one nowadays to become a presidential candidate without lying. Both the republican and democratic parties have corruption that would almost make it impossible for that to happen.

I believe Gov. Nixon of Missouri is such a man, as is Gov. Beshear of neighboring Kentucky.

I agree with you.
He also seems to have announced he will run in the early primaries, with his trip to Iowa and his tweaks to Mrs. Clinton.

IMO, I believe we need a Governor in the WH in 2017.

It's too bad about Christie, since I was generally supportive of his views,
except for his demeanor of bashing Individauls at Public forums .
I approve if brian Schweitzer, former govenor of Montana.

The problem is that we proclaim an elected official a liar at the drop of a hat. Broken campaign promises, and all that. This is a democracy (republic also), not a dictatorship. Every leader's agenda is always subject to other leaders' agendas, and nothing gets done without compromise. Most of our leaders aren't actually liars. They are patriotic people who want to see this country do better. The only lies they're really forced to tell is that they're not entrenched in the culture of wealth and that they aren't trading favors for campaign contributions.

The problem is that we proclaim an elected official a liar at the drop of a hat. Broken campaign promises, and all that. This is a democracy (republic also), not a dictatorship. Every leader's agenda is always subject to other leaders' agendas, and nothing gets done without compromise. Most of our leaders aren't actually liars. They are patriotic people who want to see this country do better. The only lies they're really forced to tell is that they're not entrenched in the culture of wealth and that they aren't trading favors for campaign contributions.

:blink:

I agree, it's nice to think of all politics as evil men trying to ruin the world, but overall I think they are atleast attempting to make the world a better place, this may fail or it may go well. and I think many of the promises they make they believe they can do but things change, and so does focus it must be very hard for them sometimes :(

Because the American political system requires it. Good men can't remain in politics just by being good, they have to make back room deals, kiss babies and steal lollypops, otherwise they can't get anything done, they get no political or financial support and they don't remain in politics for long. That's the system we have in America today. Nobody honest remains that way.

I think the only liars who were President in my lifetime were Clinton Obama and Nixon.

Ford, Reagan ,Carter and both Bushes weren't liars.

I think the only liars who were President in my lifetime were Clinton Obama and Nixon.

"We know right where those WMDs are..." Sure, not liars. :roll:

I think you might have Obama in the wrong category. Otherwise I agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom