• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AN END TO THIS GOPer THOUGHT

When you start to get a formal education and you learn weird stuff like "How close is all the Human population regarding DNA?
.......which is 99.9231 Percent, you tend to stop thinking that the real difference between people is NOT like a Bar of soap and a Freight Train.

Diverse in demographic but ideologically monolithic.

If by ideologically monolithic you mean left of Mitch McConnell, then sure. But that covers a very wide base. Nearly half of professors consider themselves moderate. From my college experience that was certainly the case as the vast majority of my professors (from what I gathered from their lectures) were centrists/neolibs.

And leaning left of of the current society seems to be a trend across borders and history for universities. It's almost as if the more educated/informed one is the less conservative (ignorant) they are.

Diverse in demographic but ideologically monolithic. And since schools are about what is being taught, diverse ideology is what is important.
Ideologically diverse.
High schools are as much about producing proud, loyal citizens as they are about education. More, maybe. Universities are where uncomfortable truths are presented and sometimes provoke over-reaction.

Ideologically diverse.
Lol...no. They go after anyone that speaks against their leftist religion.
High schools are as much about producing proud, loyal citizens as they are about education. More, maybe. Universities are where uncomfortable truths are presented and sometimes provoke over-reaction.
You spelled "one-sided narratives" wrong.

More anti-white male rhetoric. A black woman on the S court, a black man as prez for 2 terms. That's enough. Now's the time to bring back America. Bring back white is right might. Vote Republican. Be happy.

Lol...no. They go after anyone that speaks against their leftist religion.

You spelled "one-sided narratives" wrong.
Yeah, yeah.
The right has always been philistines about education. Half the right consider any education that isn't job training to be a waste of time and resources and the other half consider all liberal arts, including mathematics, and classics and the humanities to be leftist indoctrination. It's as if they think that academics is an exclusive club that they are denied access to.

Actually, when students go the university, at least some of them have experiences that convince them that some of the social ideas that they had in high school were wrong.

When you start to get a formal education and you learn weird stuff like "How close is all the Human population regarding DNA?
.......which is 99.9231 Percent, you tend to stop thinking that the real difference between people is NOT like a Bar of soap and a Freight Train.

Truth. Good post.

I'll just add...

When you examine most issues up close, you discover there is a lot of nuance and texture. I'm reminded about the PBS documentary on the Vietnam War by Ken Burns. During WWII, we were supporting (and arming I think) Ho Chi Minh if memory serves. I would bet most people didn't know that; I sure didn't before that documentary. And look at 1980's...it puts our arming Bin Laden against the Soviets in perspective.

Of course its easy to see this parallel.... much harder to examine it and think "wow, what should we have done differently?". Currently we're arming some folks in Ukraine. Nothing is going to come of that in the future...right?

Yeah, yeah.
The right has always been philistines about education. Half the right consider any education that isn't job training to be a waste of time and resources and the other half consider all liberal arts, including mathematics, and classics and the humanities to be leftist indoctrination. It's as if they think that academics is an exclusive club that they are denied access to.
Rofl...you lefties call math racist so your characterization is ****ing funny.

Ohferchristsake.
What a stupid response.
It would be if it wasn't true, so the "who" that is ****ing stupid still there but you're looking in the wrong direction.

Diverse in demographic but ideologically monolithic. And since schools are about what is being taught, diverse ideology is what is important.
Flat Earth 101?

Ancient Alien Contributions to Human Development?

If by ideologically monolithic you mean left of Mitch McConnell, then sure. But that covers a very wide base. Nearly half of professors consider themselves moderate. From my college experience that was certainly the case as the vast majority of my professors (from what I gathered from their lectures) were centrists/neolibs.

And leaning left of of the current society seems to be a trend across borders and history for universities. It's almost as if the more educated/informed one is the less conservative (ignorant) they are.
The more education you have the less threatening the world seems.

The less education you have the easier it is to terrify you.

It would be if it wasn't true, so the "who" that is ****ing stupid still there but you're looking in the wrong direction.
I call math racist? That's a stupid concept and It's stupid to accuse me of it, with absolutely no reason except you just pulled it out of your butt and for some reason you're so proud of it you wanted to show it off here.

I call math racist? That's a stupid concept and It's stupid to accuse me of it, with absolutely no reason except you just pulled it out of your butt and for some reason you're so proud of it you wanted to show it off here.
Yes, lesftist say such things while what you said is made up. We don't even think that education that doesn't translate into jobs is necessarily a waste of time. We just say that if you wrack up tens of thousands of dollars in debt for a degree that doesn't net you job that enables you to pay it back is your own stupid fault and no one else should be responsible for it.

Yes, lesftist say such things while what you said is made up. We don't even think that education that doesn't translate into jobs is necessarily a waste of time. We just say that if you wrack up tens of thousands of dollars in debt for a degree that doesn't net you job that enables you to pay it back is your own stupid fault and no one else should be responsible for it.
Quote someone saying any such thing.

Actually, when students go the university, at least some of them have experiences that convince them that some of the social ideas that they had in high school were wrong.
It really depends on individual experience. Case in point:

My older brother and I were made to go to a private religious high school by Mom and Dad. My brother loved it, spent all four years of high school there. Followed his girlfriend to a private Christian university, graduated then married her. This past year he packed his family up and moved back to the state of his alma mater. He is a staunch Republican, a deacon in his church, and extremely conservative in his politics.

I spent one year at that same high school and begged my parents to let me transfer out. They in turn begged me to give it one more year. After my sophomore year was completed I told them if I went back I would get expelled by whatever means necessary. They relented and let me transfer to the public high school my friends attended. Attended and graduated from a state university, and while my politics are easily the most left leaning of my immediate family I still consider them moderate. I was registered with the GOP during my late teens/early twenties but have been registered as having no party affiliation the majority of my voting life because I can't stand either party.

Two men, same upbringing with a different reaction to it before we went on to university.

Heres a response to that...

THESE are the kind of ****ed up people your leftist agenda is turning people into.

Congrats....this is your legacy.

Back
Top Bottom