• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An end to racism

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Some say it happens when we stop talking about race--others say it happens when a movement for an end to it takes hold in the imagination of the citizens.

What do you say?

Some say it happens when we stop talking about race--others say it happens when a movement for an end to it takes hold in the imagination of the citizens.

What do you say?

It ends when people are no longer thought badly of, attacked or discriminated against on the basis of their race. It'll happen when we realise that one's skin colour says no more about their character than their hair or eye-colour. I'd be willing to put a large bet on this not happening in the lifetime of anyone this board, however.

Racism will end when the whole of humanity is nothing more than a disgusting, homogeneous and amorphous mass. Until then, as long as there are differences between different humans and different groups of humans, there will be prejudice and hate between them.

The fact that this prejudice and hate is currently based mostly on small variations in facial features, skin tone, and the continent one's ancestors hailed from a few centuries ago is largely irrelevant. It was always something before it was "race", and if we ever abolish this primitive superstition, it will always be something else.

yes it will only end when we all look the same.

i don't consider mixed people to be unattractive but i would be saddened if *other* ( namely, not mixed ) kinds of people all went extinct which is where it's headed.

i don't consider mixed people to be unattractive but i would be saddened if *other* ( namely, not mixed ) kinds of people all went extinct which is where it's headed.

That's okay. All we need to do is separate the human species geographically for several thousand years and we'll diverge genetically again. Really, is there no Earthly problem that the space program can't solve?

Racism will end when the whole of humanity is nothing more than a disgusting, homogeneous and amorphous mass. Until then, as long as there are differences between different humans and different groups of humans, there will be prejudice and hate between them.

The fact that this prejudice and hate is currently based mostly on small variations in facial features, skin tone, and the continent one's ancestors hailed from a few centuries ago is largely irrelevant. It was always something before it was "race", and if we ever abolish this primitive superstition, it will always be something else.

Mhm. Human beings as a species do seem extremely keen on building hierachies and cliques, with all the fear and hatred of those outside own's grouping that you'd expect from any other animal, unfortunately.

It's not unfortunate. It's just what we are. It's the way we're supposed to be, and how we're supposed to live. And it only bothers us because we refuse to embrace it.

Racism will end when we all look the same? We will never all be homogenous. There will always be slight variations.

I think we have to work on our minds. I've been inspired lately by the peace work of a man named Marshall Rosenbergy who does mediations all over the world.

He has been able to pacify sides of a dispute even after loss of life over the ethnic conflicts.

He states that people do not know how to communicate their needs and that violence and anger are expressions of unmet need.

That's an oversimplification of his approach but if people are interested I can say more or you can google or utube Marshall Rosenberg or Non-Violent Communication.

Racism is bred into our genetics. We are tribal little primates, and one of our genetic traits is fear of "the stranger." See studies on Chimpanzees and their tribal instincts.

Racism will end when humans do, and not before.

When our skin colors are all blended to an even tan tone, then we will discriminate against people with blue eyes or curly hair. It's part of who we are.

Last edited:
That's a pretty cynical view of racism, catz. I have more faith in human beings ability to change than you do, I think.

It's not unfortunate. It's just what we are. It's the way we're supposed to be, and how we're supposed to live. And it only bothers us because we refuse to embrace it.

I'd say it bothers me more because of the harm it does to those who suffer such discrimination. We each deserve a decent shot at health, prosperity and happiness, and when one looks at the health outcomes and average level of poverty at birth of say, black Americans, I wouldn't say they get it.

That's a pretty cynical view of racism, catz.

It's based upon genetics and science.

Have you ever worked with black kids in an inner city area where there aren't any other races present? The light-skinned black girls get their asses kicked by the dark-skinned black girls. The light-skinned black boys attract more girls than the dark-skinned black boys.

What would you call that, if not racism?

I have more faith in human beings ability to change than you do, I think.

I'd call it being less in touch with reality.

It depends on how we want to use "racism" contextually. If we merely are referring to the reference of discrimination based on race alone, at some point our societies will evolve beyond that. Some sooner than others. Regardless it will be a while.

If we are to use racism as an oblique reference for all forms of discrimination, then we will never be rid of it, so long as our species has some form of self-defense mechanism left, and there are things to fear. Particular instances of discrimination will disappear, as fears are overcome and/or eliminated but discrimination itself is a defense machanism, warranted or not.

when one looks at the health outcomes and average level of poverty at birth of say, black Americans, I wouldn't say they get it.

Who is responsible for a black child's level of poverty? Are you suggesting that poverty is purely a function of outside factors determined by the larger white population? White people's racism causes that black child to be born poor in a bad neighborhood to a teenaged mother?

Have you ever worked with black kids in an inner city area where there aren't any other races present? The light-skinned black girls get their asses kicked by the dark-skinned black girls. The light-skinned black boys attract more girls than the dark-skinned black boys.

What would you call that, if not racism?

Some Africans are just as racist to their own as they claim others are to them

I have seen the same things, i was despised by some in secondary school and the same thing does occur mixed race, light skinned black boys always did get the pretty girls which led to their ass getting kicked by dark skinned black boys

If we are to use racism as an oblique reference for all forms of discrimination, then we will never be rid of it, so long as our species has some form of self-defense mechanism left, and there are things to fear. Particular instances of discrimination will disappear, as fears are overcome and/or eliminated but discrimination itself is a defense machanism, warranted or not.

Discrimination is wired into our genes.

As a mother of mixed-race kids, I don't like it, but I understand where it comes from.

Some Africans are just as racist to their own as they claim others are to them

I have seen the same things, i was despised by some in secondary school and the same thing does occur mixed race, light skinned black boys always did get the pretty girls which led to their ass getting kicked by dark skinned black boys

Stop being so damn cynical, Laila. ;)

Stop being so damn cynical, Laila. ;)

Lol

That is life unfortunately
I too have alot of mixed race nieces and nephews and some get hell now so it is something you have to accept

Lol

That is life unfortunately
I too have alot of mixed race nieces and nephews and some get hell now so it is something you have to accept

I find that my kids are actually treated exceptionally well here. I live in a racially mixed area where the majority of people are white-collar professionals with college degrees. I would say that in the region in which I live, income and culture matter more than race.

But it is a fact of life, and I think that higher education levels lead to reduced issues of racism.

So we are stuck in a time-warp?

"Its just what we are" is a cop out. We have evolved genetically, so there is no reason our caveman instincts cant evolve, although at a slower pace.

Paul

I find that my kids are actually treated exceptionally well here. I live in a racially mixed area where the majority of people are white-collar professionals with college degrees. I would say that in the region in which I live, income and culture matter more than race.

I live in London which is very multi racial and cultural, it is like a melting pot.
But they do not live in London anymore, they live deep in the country. In places where there is only once race so its something new to see a black person with a white girl.

Funny enough from my experience, it is white people who are the most accepting. Africans ... well, not so much.

Class matters more than race in UK, which is both good and bad in a way

So we are stuck in a time-warp?

"Its just what we are" is a cop out. We have evolved genetically, so there is no reason our caveman instincts cant evolve, although at a slower pace.

Paul

I think that to some degree, it will always be a part of us. Who amongst us isn't scared of strangers? Race plays a role in the internal determination that someone is a "stranger" because of how we are wired internally. Education plays a role, in my opinion, in reducing overt racism, but discrimination will always be a part of us. We prefer our friends over strangers. We prefer attractive people over ugly people. We prefer people who share our religious or political views over people who are different.

It is a part of who we are. The ways in which we discriminate change, but discrimination remains.

Discrimination is wired into our genes.

As a mother of mixed-race kids, I don't like it, but I understand where it comes from.

Its a natural reaction, for things we don't understand or have little exposure to. Instances can be overcome, but discrimination itself is a part of everyday life. If someone claims to not have a discriminant bone in their body, they are lying to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom