• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Educator Read ‘I Need a New Butt!’ to Children. Then He Was Fired.

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"Toby Price, an assistant principal at an elementary school in Mississippi, read the book to a class of second graders over Zoom. “I am a firm believer that reluctant readers need the silly, funny books to hook them in,” he said. ...He was fired two days later, accused of violating the standards of conduct section of the Mississippi Educator Code of Ethics.

...In a letter to Mr. Price, the superintendent called the book “inappropriate.” She particularly took issue with the references to farting in the story and how “the book described butts in various colors, shapes and sizes (example: fireproof, bullet proof, bomb proof).” Ms. Martin called Mr. Price “unprofessional” for having selected the book.

...On the elementary school’s Facebook page, the grandmother of one of the students at the school posted a news story about Mr. Price’s termination and said she planned to speak on his behalf before the school board and fight to get “his job back.” “My granddaughter heard him read the book and thought it was hilarious and not at all inappropriate!” the grandmother wrote.

Mr. Price said that was the reaction from students after he read the book. He recalled going into the hallway and being approached by students who thanked him for his pick. “They loved it,” he said. “They all stopped me and said, ‘Mr. Price, that book was really good.’”"

Link

What a stupid time to be alive.

"Toby Price, an assistant principal at an elementary school in Mississippi, read the book to a class of second graders over Zoom. “I am a firm believer that reluctant readers need the silly, funny books to hook them in,” he said. ...He was fired two days later, accused of violating the standards of conduct section of the Mississippi Educator Code of Ethics.

...In a letter to Mr. Price, the superintendent called the book “inappropriate.” She particularly took issue with the references to farting in the story and how “the book described butts in various colors, shapes and sizes (example: fireproof, bullet proof, bomb proof).” Ms. Martin called Mr. Price “unprofessional” for having selected the book.

...On the elementary school’s Facebook page, the grandmother of one of the students at the school posted a news story about Mr. Price’s termination and said she planned to speak on his behalf before the school board and fight to get “his job back.” “My granddaughter heard him read the book and thought it was hilarious and not at all inappropriate!” the grandmother wrote.

Mr. Price said that was the reaction from students after he read the book. He recalled going into the hallway and being approached by students who thanked him for his pick. “They loved it,” he said. “They all stopped me and said, ‘Mr. Price, that book was really good.’”"

Link

This is the cancel culture that the Right wants. They want to shield kids from everything except for math and grammar. Soon they may not even approve that.

After a brief glance at this book's description on Amazon, I am confused.

Why the **** does reading it to kids mean someone should be fired?

This makes no sense.

Amazon summary

A young boy suddenly notices a big problem — his butt has a huge crack! So he sets off to find a new one. Will he choose an armor-plated butt? A rocket butt? A robot butt? Find out in this quirky tale of a tail, which features hilarious rhymes and delightful illustrations. Children and parents will love this book — no ifs, ands, or butts about it!

"I can assure you right now that your kids will love this book. They will giggle, they will laugh, and they will want this book to be read over and over again because it is just plain silly and funny … the perfect kid-combo." — Storywraps

This is the cancel culture that the Right wants. They want to shield kids from everything except for math and grammar. Soon they may not even approve that.

Chilren delighting in bare bottoms is an existential threat to our society. Surely a gateway to pedophilia.

The already don't.

After a brief glance at this book's description on Amazon, I am confused.

Why the **** does reading it to kids mean someone should be fired?

This makes no sense.
Red state stupidity.

Impressive of NYT to not even quote the title correctly. It’s “bum” not butt.

Regardless how dumb. Pretty sure your little angel already knows he/she/they have a butt crack.

Regardless how dumb. Pretty sure your little angel already knows he/she/they have a butt crack.

The book was published in the UK with the title I Need a New Bum. It was reissued in the USA with the title I Need A New Butt.
The NYT got it right.

I would join the culture to cancel Straw Man Arguments and shield the kids from Red Herrings.

Cancel culture? Shield kids?

What parent in their right mind wouldn’t want to shield their children from this?

What am I missing here?

Link

Never heard of it.

The book was published in the UK with the title I Need a New Bum. It was reissued in the USA with the title I Need A New Butt.
The NYT got it right.

I figured out the error of my ways and stand corrected.

Cancel culture? Shield kids?

What parent in their right mind wouldn’t want to shield their children from this?

What am I missing here?

Shield them from what? They all have bums and they all fart, and they all find them funny at that age.
The author has a whole "Bum" series! She's also written several books for slightly older kids too. She lives in New Zealand, hence the British/American English spelling variations

ps

I see I'm bringing up the rear with the explanations....

Funny books on pooping/peeing read at home are good.

Changing one’s butt? At school? Is that a stage for a set-up for changing their bodies? Humor sure would make it easier to indoctrinate. I believe it is crossing a line.

Funny books on pooping/peeing read at home are good.

Changing one’s butt? At school? Is that a stage for a set-up for changing their bodies? Humor sure would make it easier to indoctrinate. I believe it is crossing a line.

You actually fear this is a gateway to trans?

There's another book about breaking his bum, and another about his bum being too noisy! What could they possibly mean?

Cardi B, I guess be who you want to be. When children get indoctrinated that experimenting, especially in the realm of reconfiguring their bodies (physically and sexually) in such a light hearted way, it disrupts their brains at such an impressionable age that being cautious and considerate is what needs to happen, as opposed to opening them up to confusion pablum their own self reflection in who they are as a person. They need to think for themselves instead of being lead in a provocative way. There is a reason things are taught at home and in school and at certain ages and especially how it portrays to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom