• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Arkansas lawmaker who is ditching the GOP said Trump's attempt to 'overturn the results of a fair and free election' was the 'final straw'

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Discovering one's conscience is commendable.

An Arkansas lawmaker who is ditching the GOP said Trump's attempt to 'overturn the results of a fair and free election' was the 'final straw' (msn.com)

Alongtime Arkansas state lawmaker, with deep familial connections to the GOP, announced this week that he was leaving the Republican Party, citing the growing partisan divide and the Republican Party's refusal to rein in former President Donald Trump.

State Sen. Jim Hendren announced he was leaving the Republican Party and switching his affiliation to Independent in a nine-minute YouTube video posted Thursday. In the video, Hendren said political parties had enabled and even rewarded the growing partisan divide and said he'd grown "deeply concerned" over the state of US politics.

"There's a real danger that the Republican Party is going to be one that you can't win a primary without being a Trump supporter, and you can't win a general by being a Trump supporter," Hendren told CNN in an interview Friday. "What would have happened, then, is we've taken a party that was about principle and about conservative government to one that is about one man and a personality. And that is a race that doesn't end well for the GOP."

Discovering one's conscience is commendable.

An Arkansas lawmaker who is ditching the GOP said Trump's attempt to 'overturn the results of a fair and free election' was the 'final straw' (msn.com)

Alongtime Arkansas state lawmaker, with deep familial connections to the GOP, announced this week that he was leaving the Republican Party, citing the growing partisan divide and the Republican Party's refusal to rein in former President Donald Trump.

State Sen. Jim Hendren announced he was leaving the Republican Party and switching his affiliation to Independent in a nine-minute YouTube video posted Thursday. In the video, Hendren said political parties had enabled and even rewarded the growing partisan divide and said he'd grown "deeply concerned" over the state of US politics.

"There's a real danger that the Republican Party is going to be one that you can't win a primary without being a Trump supporter, and you can't win a general by being a Trump supporter," Hendren told CNN in an interview Friday. "What would have happened, then, is we've taken a party that was about principle and about conservative government to one that is about one man and a personality. And that is a race that doesn't end well for the GOP."

I commend him for his decision, but it appears he's rather naive when it comes to the electorate. It's more about Trump's base than it is Trump the man. The Republican Party isn't about to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Last edited:
"There's a real danger that the Republican Party is going to be one that you can't win a primary without being a Trump supporter, and you can't win a general by being a Trump supporter,"
I could not agree more with what he is saying. Lindsey Graham is also right when he says he is more worried about 2022 now than ever before. Not sure when it is going to sink in that Trumpists cannot win on a National level and in many cases on a Statewide basis, at least not without significant voter suppression. If moderate conservative GOP politicians are primaried by Trumpists and end up on the ballot the GOP are going to lose seats especially in the Senate.

I commend him for his decision, but it appears he's rather naive when it comes to the electorate. It's more about Trump's base than it is Trump the man. The Republican Party isn't about to cut off their nose to spite their face.
I'm going with both. If Jim Hendren believed that the GOP could survive their Trumpian disease, he would have stayed in the party. His move out of the party sends a signal that the GOP is basically mortally wounded which will leave the Trumplican party festering in its own (S/I/T) Trump puss.

I could not agree more with what he is saying. Lindsey Graham is also right when he says he is more worried about 2022 now than ever before. Not sure when it is going to sink in that Trumpists cannot win on a National level and in many cases on a Statewide basis, at least not without significant voter suppression. If moderate conservative GOP politicians are primaried by Trumpists and end up on the ballot the GOP are going to lose seats especially in the Senate.

I think you may have misunderstood Graham's words.
Lindsey Graham said, "the GOP doesn’t have “a snowball’s chance in hell” of taking back congressional majorities without the backing of former President Donald Trump".

I'm going with both. If Jim Hendren believed that the GOP could survive their Trumpian disease, he would have stayed in the party. His move out of the party sends a signal that the GOP is basically mortally wounded which will leave the Trumplican party festering in its own (S/I/T) Trump puss.

The majority of the GOP electorate is still in favor of Trumpism. IMO, Hendren committed political suicide.

The majority of the GOP electorate is still in favor of Trumpism. IMO, Hendren committed political suicide.
"Discovering one's conscience is" not only commendable but spiritually rewarding. I think that maybe Hendren seeks greener pastures for a peaceful life.

I think you may have misunderstood Graham's words.
Lindsey Graham said, "the GOP doesn’t have “a snowball’s chance in hell” of taking back congressional majorities without the backing of former President Donald Trump".
I think maybe you aren't up to date with his thoughts....

Back
Top Bottom