• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Argument for Reducing Sedative Drug Offenses as opposed to Stimulants

catif001

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I believe that legalizing small quantities of mild sedatives like marijuanna for recreational use under highly restricted conditions would prevent violence and the continuance of illicit organizations dispensing them under the radar. First of all, I would like to declare my view that so-called gateway drugs are gateway drugs precisely because they are distributed illegally. Alcohol is not considered a "gateway drug" because of how its use has become so highly embedded in our culture. My theory is that recreational sedatives result in the proliferation of violence because of the following conditions:

1. They are illegal and thus controlled by organizations which also distribute other illicit substances and use violent guerilla-tactics against rival organizations, thus perpetuating violence and community destabilization. Moreover, on a more general note if the sentencing for prolonged pot use or distribution is the same as an assault charge, then obviously those who are charged with more equivalent sentences are more likely to mix.

2. Sedatives with lesser legal ramifications such as alcohol are consumed in social venues and thus induce irrational violence.

3. Transportation back home from social venues in which sedatives are consumed is a large factor in drug-induced car crashes.

Regarding stimulants, such drugs have obvious violent ramifications.

4. The more stimulated an individual is as a result of unknown factors, the more they will engage in physical confrontations as well as all of the above factors described in 1-3.

With sedatives, impaired judgement can occur, but the motor functions of the individual are not as active in a relatively controlled environment and thus, less likely to induce violence, excluding pre-existing psychosocial issues.

Last edited:
I believe that legalizing small quantities of mild sedatives like marijuanna for recreational use under highly restricted conditions........

I do not believe that those two concepts, 'for recreational use' and 'under highly restricted conditions' are either compatible or practicable.

The reality is that all manners of prescription drugs, both sedatives and stimulants (along with hallucinogenic drugs, mood-ameliorating drugs, date rape drugs, pain-killing drugs, etc etc) are currently being abused, horribly. In fact it is the fastest-growing epidemic in the world.

This provision of just sedatives (in a manner of alcohol or marijuana) to an already-lethargic and market-saturated customer base doesn't seem like it would take off, from either a common sense perspective or a business sense.

Just thinking out loud.
:drink

Yes, 'for recreational use' and 'under tightly restricted conditions' seem mutually exclusive to me.

Back
Top Bottom