• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An Announcement On Our Friend Calamity

MovingPictures

WE'LL DO IT LIVE!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I know some of you have been wondering why our friend Calamity stopped posting in the forums. Per his wife's request, I've been given permission to give you this information now.

On his 59th birthday, January 19th, 2022, our friend Calamity's life came to an end after a hard fought battle with lung cancer. He fought to the very end with everything he had. Calamity knew his prognosis was not good, but he never gave up the fight, because he was a born fighter.

The reason he did not make his condition public but to a few of us is he didn't want anybody to treat him any differently. He wanted this place to continue to be a fun, and for people to freely speak their beliefs to him, including those who were opponents he disagreed with strongly. He was also in general, a very private man.

I spoke to Calamity a lot privately. Man, he was incredibly funny, and I don't just say that about anyone. I know his personality wasn't for everyone, but he was a blast to converse with. I'm sad that I'll never get to meet him in person now, but wherever he is, he has my love, and I know he has the love of many of you, and he knew that.

Some words from Calamity's wife.

Calamity passed on his 59th birthday. He fought like hell. He loved his wife, he loved his job, he loved his dogs, town and he loved the forum.

This is a poem Calamity's father read at his service, which wife asked me to read. Goodbye, calamity. I will never forget you my friend.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I know some of you have been wondering why our friend Calamity stopped posting in the forums. Per his wife's request, I've been given permission to give you this information now.

On his 59th birthday, January 19th, 2022, our friend Calamity's life came to an end after a hard fought battle with lung cancer. He fought to the very end with everything he had. Calamity knew his prognosis was not good, but he never gave up the fight, because he was a born fighter.

The reason he did not make his condition public but to a few of us is he didn't want anybody to treat him any differently. He wanted this place to continue to be a fun, and for people to freely speak their beliefs to him, including those who were opponents he disagreed with strongly. He was also in general, a very private man.

I spoke to Calamity a lot privately. Man, he was incredibly funny, and I don't just say that about anyone. I know his personality wasn't for everyone, but he was a blast to converse with. I'm sad that I'll never get to meet him in person now, but wherever he is, he has my love, and I know he has the love of many of you, and he knew that.

This is a poem Calamity's father read at his service, which wife asked me to read. Goodbye, calamity. I will never forget you my friend.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I knew about this last month when the news was shared with me. I'm glad his wife gave permission for you to share it because while I know Calamity wanted to keep it private, too many decent posters on here were noticing his absence and it was hard not to tell them why he was gone, although I did privately share it with @SenorXm/Sirius just two days ago.

Rest in peace Calamity. You greeted me many years ago when I joined this board as a Republican and you always acted like a gentleman even when we disagreed. I enjoyed you and your posts.

Save me a space on the cloud next to you so we can laugh and talk about some memories when I too go to Heaven.

A fitting tribute. Good thoughts for his family and those that feel his departure from this stage of our journey.

I've been missing this guy. I've kept an exchange of posting btx us from late Oct 2021 because it struck a note for me. I'd no idea he was gone forever, not by his choice, from this forum and the world.

I've been missing this guy. I've kept an exchange of posting btx us from late Oct 2021 because it struck a note for me. I'd no idea he was gone forever, not by his choice, from this forum and the world.
Calamity had been in and out of ICU since early November. He briefly was able to make some posts, but then his conditioned declined rapidly in December, and nothing really could be done.

Calamity left his mark, not just on this forum, but in the lives of his family and friends. His presence will forever be missed.

#****cancer

A pilots farewell
——

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,

I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air . . .

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark nor even eagle flew –

And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I was afraid of something like this. We butted heads often, but it was usually entertaining and I believe that was his goal. My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest In Peace Calamity. You will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom