• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

An alternate way to avoid Brexit: procrastinate really, really hard.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Brexit might never happen.

This editorialist doesn't hold the opinion that Brexit will actually go through. A submission of article 50 is what will actually trigger the two year count-down to the exit from the European Union, and Cameron has specifically handed that privilege to his successor when he steps down in October. That means that everybody will have a full three months to reflect on their life choices and actually come to face with what they stand to lose.

Commenters described “Leave” icon and possible next prime minister Boris Johnson as “rather pale” and “uncharacteristically subdued” the morning after. Nigel Farage, the leader of the U.K. Independence Party, spent Friday morning distancing himself from the “Leave” campaign’s promise that Britain’s EU funds would be redirected to the National Health Service; and Tory European Parliament member Daniel Hannan admitted that renegotiating Britain’s relationship with the EU wouldn’t actually decrease immigration. Sorry, “Leave” voters who wanted to either curb immigration or fund the NHS! (That’s pretty much all of them.)

Across social media were reports of “Leave” voters waking up with buyer’s remorse. Some were counting on a “Remain” victory and wanted only to “send a message” or press the EU for reforms—a bit like playing a game of chicken with 64 million people’s hands on the steering wheel.

As legal blogger David Allen Green points out, the more time that passes before the Article 50 notification is sent, the less likely it is to happen. Leavers are already stressing that there’s no rush to actually, you know, leave.

Regardless, if there’s one thing the British establishment is good at doing, it’s muddling along. And if ever there were a situation that called for some world-class muddling along, it’s this one.

A chance to reflect on a possibly terrible choice? Nahhh, perish the thought.

Brexit might never happen.

This editorialist doesn't hold the opinion that Brexit will actually go through. A submission of article 50 is what will actually trigger the two year count-down to the exit from the European Union, and Cameron has specifically handed that privilege to his successor when he steps down in October. That means that everybody will have a full three months to reflect on their life choices and actually come to face with what they stand to lose.

A chance to reflect on a possibly terrible choice? Nahhh, perish the thought.

Strikes me as wishful thinking. how many Trump voters do you see wishing they'd voted differently?

Strikes me as wishful thinking. how many Trump voters do you see wishing they'd voted differently?

No idea, though I will say that the pro-Trump supporters have been notoriously stupid of late. My theory is not that they are literally becoming dumber (although it's amusing to think that), but that the not-completely-stupid voices have been slowly dropping off one by one leaving only the worst to remain. So while it's difficult to quantify, I don't think it's outside the pale that a not-insignificant portion of the Leave voters might only now have realized that there was remarkably more on the line than whether or not they had to share the sidewalks with a bunch of dirty immigrants.

What's truly important is not the market implosion they were witness to as a result of the vote and the sudden realization they'd all have to get new passports, but the narrative that takes its place. If someone convinces them to stay the course, then that's that. But Gabriel Roth was not the first to notice that Johnson has been less than jubilant at the vote's results. He was curiously sober. It's not inconceivable that between now and October a new narrative sets in.

Ask me again in November :D

Strikes me as wishful thinking.
how many Trump voters do you see wishing they'd voted differently?

Trump supporters aren't uninformed,they're misinformed.

And in November they'll have a chance to follow that loser off of the cliff.

:lol:

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch,running out of time,GOP.

Back
Top Bottom