• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AN-225 destroyed

fortune

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I dont want to see it but can anyone see the damage? dont tell me.... just tell me.

really sick about this

To be clear, it was parked at an airfield, not shot out of the sky.
Ukrainian state defense company Ukroboronprom, which manages Antonov, on Sunday issued a statement saying the aircraft had been destroyed but would be rebuilt at Russia's expense -- a cost it put at $3 billion.

"The restoration is estimated to take over 3 billion USD and over five years," the statement said. "Our task is to ensure that these costs are covered by the Russian Federation, which has caused intentional damage to Ukraine's aviation and the air cargo sector.

Are these things more expensive than the rather maligned first gen stealth bombers?

There is a photo of damage to the hangar where the plane was housed but not of the plane itself. From the text of the story it appears to be accurate.

Ukrainian state defense company Ukroboronprom, which manages Antonov, on Sunday issued a statement saying the aircraft had been destroyed but would be rebuilt at Russia's expense -- a cost it put at $3 billion.

"The restoration is estimated to take over 3 billion USD and over five years," the statement said. "Our task is to ensure that these costs are covered by the Russian Federation, which has caused intentional damage to Ukraine's aviation and the air cargo sector.

Are these things more expensive than the rather maligned first gen stealth bombers?
If I recall correctly just one was built before the collapse of the USSR, and Ukraine could not afford to build any more. The design bureau was in Ukraine, so they had the facilities to build

To restore it would take a lot of custom fabrication as the original tooling has likely been sold long ago. It wont be rebuilt

If I recall correctly just one was built before the collapse of the USSR, and Ukraine could not afford to build any more. The design bureau was in Ukraine, so they had the facilities to build

To restore it would take a lot of custom fabrication as the original tooling has likely been sold long ago. It wont be rebuilt
One was built, one has been half built for 30 years. It was built to transport the Buran, the Russian/Soviet Space Shuttle.

Since then, it has been part of Volga Dnepr airlines out of Ukraine. Amazing plane.

They are not that expensive, but the factories that made them are not really in service anymore.

Either way them making such a statement it seems like they believe they will just win the war and russia will cede any amount they demand.

Though as far as I could tell only one was ever completed, and the second one they were still working on finishing decades after construction started. They were built for space programs for orbital launchers, and the soviet union collapsed shortly after the first one was built and before the second one took flight.

The current one destroyed was near retirement, I watched a documentary on it a few years ago, companies were hiring ukrainian crews to use this cargo jet to transport monstrous items like generators for entire cities and the such. Even a few years ago they were talking about it nearing it's last flights as it was too worn out and there was no viable replacement available for use.

This is what happens when you have a jet that was built in ukraine under the soviet union, the factories fell into disrepair after the fall of the soviet union, and there ended up no new means to build more or even perform major repairs without completely re engineering everything.

My mate knows I am an airliner geek, she bought me the AN225 last year, this year she got me a bitchin DC6, and has gotten me a nice Lockheed Super Constellation G a few years ago.

IMG_2932.JPGIMG_2933.JPG

I saw it once in Calgary, I can't remember what it was picking up

That thing used to fly in and out of Tucson fairly regularly about 10 years back.

That thing used to fly in and out of Tucson fairly regularly about 10 years back.
The smaller AN-124 comes into Phoenix from time to time. I caught a fleeting glimpse of it taking off as I was riding my bike downtown, had to stop and pull up FlightRadar24 to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom