• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amount of people hesitant to get Covid-19 vaccine dropping rapidly

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The past two weeks alone, there were two polls that show just how much vaccine hesitancy has declined. The Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that 55% of adults say they now want a Covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible or have already received their first dose. That's up from 47% in January and 34% in December.

Axios/Ipsos polling shows a similar trendline. A mere 13% of adults said in September they would get a Covid-19 vaccine as soon as it was made available to them. That jumped to 27% in early December to 43% in early January. Now, 57% say they have already received the vaccine or will get it as soon as possible.

--

I call this, 'good news'.

I can't say what's driving it, but I hope it continues. I'm optimistic that we're going to soon be getting better.

Hubby and I get our first shot on Monday. The talk around here is there have been a number of people who have gotten really sick after taking the vaccine but those who do all seem to have already had the virus.

I can't say what's driving it, but I hope it continues. I'm optimistic that we're going to soon be getting better.
Could it be a more consistent message coming from the White House? I'd say science is taking the lead now rather than stupidity and that's having an impact.

As cruel as it sounds, most refuseniks don't have a valid excuse and need to be quarantined from the rest of society who wants to live.
It wasn't ignorance that gave us leper colonies, it was lack of medical treatment and solutions, and as soon as solutions became available, lepers accepted the treatment and the colonies were closed.

Covidiot refuseniks are pretty much walking talking eugenics projects and I didn't sign up for that, and neither did my wife and kids.

Could it be a more consistent message coming from the White House? I'd say science is taking the lead now rather than stupidity and that's having an impact.

That definitely can't hurt.

But as was discussed in the article, the hard-core anti-vaxxers are pretty steady at around 20%. Then there's the 'rush to adopt' crowd. However, there are a lot in the 'middle', who are cautious about the safety of a new vaccine, but otherwise believe they want to take it. As the vaccines roll-out, and seem to be safe, this group is warming-up to getting it. Actually, I'm in this very group!

Hubby and I get our first shot on Monday. The talk around here is there have been a number of people who have gotten really sick after taking the vaccine but those who do all seem to have already had the virus.
Hmm. I find the bolded a bit troubling.

Anyway, glad to see you got dosed - Vesper! (y)

I think that the low rate of serious reactions is part of it. It was for me. I was very much "I'll wait and see how it goes", and I relaxed about it.
Bingo!

Your statement describes me, exactly.

I'm not a hard-core anti-vaxxer. But, I'm highly resistant to getting vaccinations. In fact, I never get them. I don't feel I'm in enough risk to put a vaccine in my body, even if the reactions are relatively 'low'. I just don't see it for me. I don't feel the need.

But now, I do believe I want a Covid shot. I just was not going to be an early guinea-pig. However, I'm warming-up more & more, and think I'm just about 'there'.

--

I agree. I can’t see a reason to avoid it. I was surprised to read that almost a third of military members have declined the shots. Back in my day, shots were not optional; I can remember standing in line with my shipmates getting our annual flu shots. And, on some deployments we have to get a whole line up of shots because of where we going. Our only choice was right arm or left arm.

We have been hesitant for a variety of reasons. Also we have been doing some chit chat with doctor and nurse friends about the quality of responses and such. And we have been staying home more than usual which has been warm and fuzzy. And though we think we're among the fortunate healthy folks we nonetheless hit on our immune systems like there might not be a tomorrow NOT TO MENTION staying home and doing little with friends. Livin in the cave.

As a result of the above we now realize how much we may have been spending on socializing
which has impressed upon me just exactly why we should go low key always.

Also we felt there are others who NEED it worse than we such as teachers, cops, fire department and hospital workers for certain. I have never felt politicians should have forced their way into the supply but then that's politicians for you ....... always thinking they are the most important ........ talk about arrogance.

So now we believe the information accrued is sufficient to move forward. Also at times I interjected how many times buying a new computer too soon proved to bite me in the butt
like when a flaw surfaced ......... so now I sit on my butt before getting excited about any
new computer = let the bugs get worked out.

As cruel as it sounds, most refuseniks don't have a valid excuse and need to be quarantined from the rest of society who wants to live.
It wasn't ignorance that gave us leper colonies, it was lack of medical treatment and solutions, and as soon as solutions became available, lepers accepted the treatment and the colonies were closed.

Covidiot refuseniks are pretty much walking talking eugenics projects and I didn't sign up for that, and neither did my wife and kids.

SCOTUS, many decades ago, has ruled that forced inoculations are indeed Constitutional, to the point of placing a refusenik in incarceration.

I doubt it would get to that here, with Covid. But I can see vaccinations required for various specific segments of society. Where it will get interesting, will be if employers will require it? I already see schools eventually requiring it, as inevitable.

I think it has a lot to do with the consistent, comprehensive and positive messaging coming from the Administration. They have also instituted outreach programs with many, many community groups such as faith leaders. They have been very proactive in getting the message and information out to the public and it's working.

I agree. I can’t see a reason to avoid it. I was surprised to read that almost a third of military members have declined the shots. Back in my day, shots were not optional; I can remember standing in line with my shipmates getting our annual flu shots. And, on some deployments we have to get a whole line up of shots because of where we going. Our only choice was right arm or left arm.

The technicality is incredibly stupid:
As the vaccines were only approved on an emergency basis, military has a right to refuse. If the vaccines had received full 100% FDA approval, it would no longer be optional anymore for the military.
The reason the technicality is stupid is that there were no sterilizing immunity studies done, as that would have added AT LEAST another year or more to release. Sterilizing immunity studies are proceeding apace IN THE FIELD...now, as you read this.

For a pandemic like this, an exception should have been made because it is obvious that the vaccines are safe to use.|
And they should be mandatory for all in uniform, again because they are safe...and also because we are indeed finding out that viral loads of post vax infected individuals are extremely low, and an extremely low viral load means that the risk of community transmission is also extremely low as well.

Wow, I'm surprised - too! It's certainly not my father's military.

I think schools will eventually require it, and perhaps employers - if they can dodge any legal liability for when reactions do occur.

SCOTUS, many decades ago, has ruled that forced inoculations are indeed Constitutional, to the point of placing a refusenik in incarceration.

I doubt it would get to that here, with Covid. But I can see vaccinations required for various specific segments of society. Where it will get interesting, will be if employers will require it? I already see schools eventually requiring it, as inevitable.

Not only do I NOT doubt we will get there with COVID, I think we NEED to BE there NOW.
We needed to be there eight months ago.

I think it has a lot to do with the consistent, comprehensive and positive messaging coming from the Administration. They have also instituted outreach programs with many, many community groups such as faith leaders. They have been very proactive in getting the message and information out to the public and it's working.

Perhaps, but I'm still sticking to those of us that were initially hesitant - starting to feel a bit better as we see it roll-out safely, including among friends, relatives, co-workers.

Perhaps, but I'm still sticking to those of us that were initially hesitant - starting to feel a bit better as we see it roll-out safely, including among friends, relatives, co-workers.
That is certainly part of it.

Not only do I NOT doubt we will get there with COVID, I think we NEED to BE there NOW.
We needed to be there eight months ago.

Argh!

No, I disagree. We first do things voluntarily, as a civic duty. Only if that fails, and I mean 'only then', do we then go to stronger methods. But 'no', I don't think we'll ever have the need to force-inoculate as a government mandate..

Last edited:
As the vaccines were only approved on an emergency basis, military has a right to refuse. If the vaccines had received full 100% FDA approval, it would no longer be optional anymore for the military.
The reason the technicality is stupid is that there were no sterilizing immunity studies done, as that would have added AT LEAST another year or more to release. Sterilizing immunity studies are proceeding apace IN THE FIELD...now, as you read this.

For a pandemic like this, an exception should have been made because it is obvious that the vaccines are safe to use.|
And they should be mandatory for all in uniform, again because they are safe...and also because we are indeed finding out that viral loads of post vax infected individuals are extremely low, and an extremely low viral load means that the risk of community transmission is also extremely low as well.
i suspected the bolded, but didn't know. Thanks! That's very good news!

--

People saw that those who have been vaccinated are doing fine, of course.

That’s interesting. I’ve never heard that distinnct. As I mentioned in my military days the only thing expected of us was a cheery “aye, aye, sir”.

Trump being removed from office is huge. Trump being banned from twitter is helping as well. Basically, Trump being out of site has been his greatest contribution to the pandemic.

Seems like the message on vaccines has been pretty consistent all along. Trump was bragging on it for months before the first deliver.

We have been hesitant for a variety of reasons. Also we have been doing some chit chat with doctor and nurse friends about the quality of responses and such. And we have been staying home more than usual which has been warm and fuzzy. And though we think we're among the fortunate healthy folks we nonetheless hit on our immune systems like there might not be a tomorrow NOT TO MENTION staying home and doing little with friends. Livin in the cave.

As a result of the above we now realize how much we may have been spending on socializing
which has impressed upon me just exactly why we should go low key always.

Also we felt there are others who NEED it worse than we such as teachers, cops, fire department and hospital workers for certain. I have never felt politicians should have forced their way into the supply but then that's politicians for you ....... always thinking they are the most important ........ talk about arrogance.

So now we believe the information accrued is sufficient to move forward. Also at times I interjected how many times buying a new computer too soon proved to bite me in the butt
like when a flaw surfaced ......... so now I sit on my butt before getting excited about any
new computer = let the bugs get worked out.

This is a great reply, Razoo. On many levels. It exudes honesty! Many of us are going through the exact same thought processes. Which is why your post strikes me as, 'honest'.

Back
Top Bottom